Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hot food for dogs

• 25-11-2013 9:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭

I have a JRT and I'm just wondering what cheap hot food people give their dogs to keep them warm when they 're out in the cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

The_Mask wrote: »
    I have a JRT and I'm just wondering what cheap hot food people give their dogs to keep them warm when they 're out in the cold. Any suggestions would be appreciated

I would take some decent canned food & add fairly warm water to it & pour it over their main food. Mine love this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭The_Mask

Knine wrote: »
    I would take some decent canned food & add fairly warm water to it & pour it over their main food. Mine love this.

I have my dog on dry food mostly. I was adding hot milk to this but his toilets become runny. I was hoping for cheap solid food suggestions. Gonna give the hot water over his dry food a try when I get home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I have my dog on dry food only. I was adding hot milk to this but his toilets become runny. I was hoping for cheap solid food suggestions. Gonna give the hot water over his dry food a try when I get home

Mine are on dry food too. I just pour the warm (not hot) mixture over it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I have my dog on dry food only. I was adding hot milk to this but his toilets become runny.

Dogs are lactose intolerant, which would've caused the runs.

DBB wrote: »
    Dogs are lactose intolerant, which would've caused the runs.

I know this..I give him a small amount at a time as he loves it so much, he actually goes into a frenzy when he sees the carton of milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭fathead82

I give mine oxtail soup over their dry food on the cold nights. Leave it for about 10 minutes to soak into the food & cool down then stir it with your finger to make sure its not too hot.my dogs go mad for it.

fathead82 wrote: »
    I give mine oxtail soup over their dry food on the cold nights. Leave it for about 10 minutes to soak into the food & cool down then stir it with your finger to make sure its not too hot.my dogs go mad for it.

Bingo! That's the one fathead82 I 'll give that a try. Didn't want to be giving him anything too fattening as I like to keep him lean with chicken and raw eggs... altho oxtails would contain alot of salt wouldn't they?! Maybe I 'll give it to him every 2nd or 3rd night.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Katrina101

For a treat on cold days I give my dog some scrambled eggs on his kibble. I don't add any salt, pepper or milk. He loves it!! I don't give him it too often though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

Mine goes crazy for a spoonful of porridge on her nuts in the morning. She LOVES it. We leave it to cool a little on the windowsill first, and you'd swear someone was killing her first born with the yelps and whinging out of her while she waits :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

I have taken to making porridge for my fella in the morning the last couple of weeks, he doesn't have a pick on him so he really feels the cold. He really seems to enjoy it and I fell less guilty about leaving him outside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

For what its worth: I was recently at an exhibition, and visited a dog food stand to ask a question about their food. One of the things the guy on the stand said - he sounded like he really knew what he was talking about - was that adding water to moisten kibble is not a good idea (I sometimes put hot water on kibble for my elderly dog) - that it causes something or other to break down or change :confused:, and that dry food should be eaten dry...

Anyway! OP you mentioned that you give your dog chicken - I cook chicken/rice/potatos for my dogs, then put it in a big dish in fridge (make several days worth at a time) then put the days portion in the microwave for a minute to heat it up before giving it to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Do dogs actually need hot food to keep them warm? My dog is raw fed, so all his food is cold/room temperature at most, and he never seems to feel the cold (as confirmed by him standing in a river for ten minutes this morning trying to drag a branch out of the water).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Any time I heat up my cats food when it's very cold they refuse to eat it. Even food off my own plate, I have to let it cool to room temperature before they touch it, are dogs the same? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Any time I heat up my cats food when it's very cold they refuse to eat it. Even food off my own plate, I have to let it cool to room temperature before they touch it, are dogs the same? :P

Yep, mine won't touch hot/warm food. Coco loves the remains of the morning porridge but only when it turns to cold sludge, otherwise it's very cautious licks around the sides of the bowl, almost lizard licks, the tongue extends right out! Benson is the same and he's a divil for hoovering up food, but warm food is eyed with suspicion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Do dogs actually need hot food to keep them warm? My dog is raw fed, so all his food is cold/room temperature at most, and he never seems to feel the cold (as confirmed by him standing in a river for ten minutes this morning trying to drag a branch out of the water).

I suppose it depends on the dog, I have a Boxer, no matter what I do I can't put weight on him, the vet said he is the perfect weight but I would like to see him just be a tiny bit heavier for the winter. There isn't a pick on him. He really feels the cold, he wakes up in the morning shivering, bear in mind he sleeps in my bedroom and will go around shivering until the fires lit and then he will proceed to stand in front of it for an hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I know this..I give him a small amount at a time as he loves it so much, he actually goes into a frenzy when he sees the carton of milk

You can give him Goats milk instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on the dog, I have a Boxer, no matter what I do I can't put weight on him, the vet said he is the perfect weight but I would like to see him just be a tiny bit heavier for the winter. There isn't a pick on him. He really feels the cold, he wakes up in the morning shivering, bear in mind he sleeps in my bedroom and will go around shivering until the fires lit and then he will proceed to stand in front of it for an hour.

Aw, the poor baby. I know a little lurcher who shivers with the cold too, not a pick on her either. My big lug is happiest in really really cold weather, frost on the ground and he's delighted. But he gets hammered by the heat in summer to be fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

fathead82 wrote: »

Thats a great idea. Must try that tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

It's got to be full of salt, though. You could try a low-sodium stock cube instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

You can make your own stock, if you have a roast chicken, or indeed anything with bones or a bone, when you've taken everything off that you want, just cover it with water and boil it, leave it to simmer for a good while, and then you can use that water as the gravy, reheating it when you need. You can use a really big pot, and then freeze some of it, if you're really organised, you can freeze it in an ice cube tray or similar, and have your own little stock cubes ready to go when you need them. This way, you know exactly whats in the stock. Its great if you have a skinny dog that you want to put weight on as well, if you let the stock cool, you will get a layer of fat on the top that you can skim off and put in with their dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Anytime we have bacon and ham (yes I know a bit salty - but commercial ham/bacon isnt really that salty any more) the water that Ive boiled the meat and cabbage in, I put in a jug in the fridge, and heat some in the microwave to pour over the dogs dins.

I also buy chicken pieces - legs/thighs - in the supermarket. Boil with lots of water, rice, potatos, carrots. Take the chicken off the bone, chop it up, mix well. A REALLY CHEAP dinner -for about a week for a terrier - keep in the fridge - just microwave it to heat a little, he will think he's in heaven!!!

Advertisement