Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it worth going up North for Xmas shopping?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 10:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hello,

I was wondering if its worth going up North (from Dublin) to buy drink and non perishable food for Xmas?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

pipster wrote: »
    Hello,

I was wondering if its worth going up North (from Dublin) to buy drink and non perishable food for Xmas?

Thanks

Personally when you factor in petrol and toll costs I don't think it's much of a saving, there's plenty of offers in the supermarkets in Dublin if you keep your eyes and ears open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭ei9go

probably depends on how much beer wine and spirits you are buying.

They all are significently cheaper in the North.

You will probably buy 300ml bottles of beer at around 50p sterling each

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

It used to be well worth it to go up to get drinks for christmas etc. That was before they copped on down here and started pricing competitively.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Logie-1

Give me a general idea of what you have in mind and if I'm about town I will look at the prices for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

wont be going near belfast now seen as these stupid idiots are backing planting big car and van bombs in the city centre , bomb partially exploded up there yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    wont be going near belfast now seen as these stupid idiots are backing planting big car and van bombs in the city centre , bomb partially exploded up there yesterday

It's a bit harsh generalising Belfast like that. A pipebomb went off in Dublin city last week but I bet that wouldn't stop you shopping in the city centre.

The north still is as safe as it's been in many a year. Personally I don't shop there as I wouldn't see the value in it and I like supporting my local economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Crazy Eye wrote: »

Despite the fact that Dublin has had a crazy amount of bomb disposals this year alone, there's more to The North than Belfast :)

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭tomboylady

It depends on what you're planning to buy. A lot of alcohol? Probably. Just food stuffs? I'd probably give it a miss. I would shop in the north a fair bit when I'm home, but I've definitely noticed that the price differences on everyday items aren't as huge as they used to be.

so many bargains to be had down here nowadays now that there isn't any real saving to be had . cost of diesel and then time spent trying to get up there and find parking its better for me to just shop down here and go to some locals businesses and bartter with them for some good deals .

Loughc wrote: »
    It's a bit harsh generalising Belfast like that. A pipebomb went off in Dublin city last week but I bet that wouldn't stop you shopping in the city centre.

The north still is as safe as it's been in many a year. Personally I don't shop there as I wouldn't see the value in it and I like supporting my local economy.

just wouldn't bother now with these people trying to drive large car and van bombs into the heart of belfast city now .
    cant remember the last time a large car or van bomb was left on the likes of oconnell street henry street or grafton street in dublin
    im not sayin to everyone not to go up to belfast but 1 myself wont not now with this crap starting up again . got caught up in some chaos up there before a good few years ago so I wont be going back up there while these fools are planting car bombs in the city centre .
    also all the bargains to be had nowadays theres a bit of a price war breaking out down here in the republic now .

• Advertisement

Even for alcohol it's barely worth it unless there's a specific deal on that suits you.

Even for alcohol it's barely worth it unless there's a specific deal on that suits you.

dutch gold ?? lol

Advertisement