Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christchurch Area- Safe?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Im going up to Dublin for a job interview in The Dublinia heritage centre, just wondering is it safe up by there? Whats the best way to go there from O'Connell/Lower Abbey street? And I be wearing a suit and I'm female would that make be standout or put me more at risk?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Hi,
    Im going up to Dublin for a job interview in The Dublinia heritage centre, just wondering is it safe up by there? Whats the best way to go there from O'Connell/Lower Abbey street? And I be wearing a suit and I'm female would that make be standout or put me more at risk?

In daytime? You'll be perfectly safe. You can take bus 123 from O'Connell St or D'Olier St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Or a 10/15 minute walk. Absolutely safe around there, especially during the daytime (and even at night too).

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

Yeah its around the morning/lunchtime I be going around that area. Just heard some bad stuff about that area and kinda giving em doubts about taking the Job. Especially with the evenings getting dark around 4/5pm because I have trouble seeing in the dark/dim evenings so the last thing I need is to feel extra on edge watching for my handbag.
    If I cross O' Connell bridge and just walk along the river and then up winetavern street would that be an okay route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

There's a drug treatment centre yards from Christchurch cathedral. The place is like a magnet for junkies.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,322 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

LovexxLife wrote: »
    Yeah its around the morning/lunchtime I be going around that area. Just heard some bad stuff about that area and kinda giving em doubts about taking the Job. Especially with the evenings getting dark around 4/5pm because I have trouble seeing in the dark/dim evenings so the last thing I need is to feel extra on edge watching for my handbag.
    If I cross O' Connell bridge and just walk along the river and then up winetavern street would that be an okay route?

Walk up Dame Street, the river is not too bad but Dame Street is better.

The area is fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

The area is quite safe, but there are a lot of junkies around. They shouldn't even be paying attention to you though. I work around there and have never had any hassle at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭LovexxLife

I think I either walk up by dame street or take the 123 bus to the high street of winetavern street cos the bus stop right outside the centre more or less.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

This area of Christchurch is full of offices and if you're afraid of muggings you should be perfectly safe in its rush hour crowd. I wouldn't go exploring any side streets on my own after dark, obviously - true for most city centre locations.

I used to live nearby and would have no reservations about working there at all (I never witnessed anything dodgy, apart from noisy kids running riot in the Liberties), but for after hours drinks I'd go towards and not away from town. Thomas St gets more rough going west.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

A relative of mine works across the road from the Cathedral pretty much. Never heard her say a bad word about the place. You'll be fine OP. Offices around there are packed full of small solicitors and accountants firms. If the area was bad I'd imagine they'd move very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭nosietoes

You're more likely to be annoyed by dozens of tourists taking photos blocking the pavement than anyone with ill intentions. I've spent the last 13 years living around there and even as an 18 year old student never felt overly vulnerable

• Advertisement
Advertisement