Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour may have abandoned cat

• 25-11-2013 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭

I've posted before about becoming friends with the neighbours cat.

Well it looks like the neighbour has either left for good or left for now but he is gone the past 4 days, and just left the cat outside.

Other neighbours who also befriended her called in to discuss it with us. For now we are just sharing care of her, she has a bed in ours anyway, and we have both been feeding her, but going forward if he is really totally moved out, I'm going to take her in completely.

She never stays overnight with us, always starts miaowing to get out by 11pm. Should we just confine her? I find her asleep in a bush in the mornings sometimes, even though she has a bed in ours!! How to let her know she is more than just a guest?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Install a cat flap. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Install a cat flap. :-)

Im putting a collar on her today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

I find her asleep in a bush in the mornings sometimes, even though she has a bed in ours!!

But if she keeps coming back to you for food I wouldn't worry so much about where she sleeps, she may be happier out at night.

But if she keeps coming back to you for food I wouldn't worry so much about where she sleeps, she may be happier out at night.

Another neighbour said that she sometimes comes into them quite late (after she has miaowed her way out of mine) and they let her stay the night when she does.

I think she thinks the routine is mine til 11pm, then onto the next lot :)

Is there anything else I should be doing besides actually being there for her? She is a chubby little thing so she is not going hungry!! I suspect she is getting food in more places than I am aware of.

Im disgusted this guy has just gone off and said nothing, even if its only for a short time, he should have told someone to mind the cat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Another neighbour said that she sometimes comes into them quite late (after she has miaowed her way out of mine) and they let her stay the night when she does.

I think she thinks the routine is mine til 11pm, then onto the next lot :)

Is there anything else I should be doing besides actually being there for her? She is a chubby little thing so she is not going hungry!! I suspect she is getting food in more places than I am aware of.

Im disgusted this guy has just gone off and said nothing, even if its only for a short time, he should have told someone to mind the cat.

I guess come to an arrangement with the neighbours about who feeds her or else she will end up huge!

Thank god for kind people

• Advertisement

Knine wrote: »
    I guess come to an arrangement with the neighbours about who feeds her or else she will end up huge!

Thank god for kind people

Yeah, we talked about this yesterday with the other nice neighbours. Things feel a bit temporary til we see whats happening with the owner - he may yet show up. If he does Ill be confronting him on leaving her. He has made noises to me before suggesting he might have to move some day and that I could have her if he did. But apparently he has said similar to the other nice neighbours. However, they are renting and I own, so I am claiming ownership based on permanent residence :)

I could also use some advice as to whats a proper diet for an adult cat - she is 4 or 5 as far as I know.

We have been feeding her bits of plain chicken/turkey and giving her the odd whiskas pouch but not in any kind of routine (basically if she came to us frantic and running round the spot on the floor where we put a bowl for her we would give her something), if we are going to be taking her in I want to regularise the food situation to a healthy diet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

I feed our adult cats Applaws dry food. High protein and grain-free so it helps to control weight and our 4 are thriving on it. Def tell the other neighbours that you'll be her guardian and that you'll be providing her food. My eldest cat is 6 and is visiting at least one of our neighbours. I wish that I knew who was feeding him as he weighs 9 kilos which is ridiculously fat and not healthy for him:mad:

Thanks Pumpkinseeds - yes, I intend to get the whole situation resolved over the coming weeks. The other nice neighbours love her too so I dont want to stop them from seeing her either you know, but we do need to agree on food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

She's a very, very lucky cat to have ye, and the neighbours. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

So sad and mean if this is what they have done. Fair play to you for looking after it :)

She is an absolutely gorgeous girl, Im secretly delighted if he has indeed abandoned her, Ive been in love with her for ages ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

this is just a wild shot in the dark, but i've a similar cat that regularly visits me (not my cat, i didnt even like cats before i met this one) i also think but i'm not sure that this one is male. I havent checked and tbh i wouldnt know how to with a cat.

But it's not this cat you're feeding is it?
    http://imageshack.com/i/15img0171kgj

this is just a wild shot in the dark, but i've a similar cat that regularly visits me (not my cat, i didnt even like cats before i met this one) i also think but i'm not sure that this one is male. I havent checked and tbh i wouldnt know how to with a cat.

But it's not this cat you're feeding is it?
    http://imageshack.com/i/15img0171kgj

No definitely not. She is a tabby, her coat is short.

Your visitor is gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Thanks, he's (i think he's a he) been coming here for about 2 years, I've been trying to find out who owns him because someone definitely cares for him. He had an injury to his head at one point during the summer, the day after we noticed that he came back to us with a shaved scalp and hind legs. So someone obviously cared enough to take him to a vet to get his wounds patches up. (minor scratches, and a nasty gash on his head which appeared to be glued rather than stitched) I'd say it was another cat tbh.. but anyways, thanks again :) i'll keep feeding this fella

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭inocybe

If the original owner was that caring it's likely that the cat isn't vaccinated, if sharing her with the neighbours you should probably discuss who picks up vet bills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,646 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If he wants to go out, let him. We have cats that are welcome to sleep indoors or out, anywhere they like. One that regularly sleeps on my bed occasionally asks to go out at bedtime, and is waiting to come in in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

A house at the back of us used to have 4 cats ( only saw 2 ), either they owned them or was just looking after strays. I noticed that they were being ignored and one was preggers and then i saw that she had the kitten . Bear with me on this :), Now, this black cat kept coming into the garden and played with something so i got him some treats and it was nervous and wasnt too sure about them. I left him to it and he ate them and after that he kept coming back and after a while let me pet him and he even wondered into the house and made himself comfy. This cat is an outside cat and sometimes sleeps in our house after being fed or in the cat house we bought out the back door.
    Now this cat brought the female cat to the garden which lived or was cared for by the house at the back of ours and also made itself at home in our house so we fed her as well because i saw that it was being neglected a bit by the house at the back of us and they ended up moving house. At this time there was no sign of the kitten which must have been around a year old so someone must have took it in. Now it turns out that this black male cat and this female white and ginger cat and another cat must have being a bit friendly at some point as the female cat appeared to be preggers again and this time decided to give birth to 2 female kittens black,white, brown and ginger on our bed. A day after she gave birth to male cat exactly the same colour has her. This kitten was coming out backwards so the wife rang the vet who gave advice saying that the kitten was more than likely dead so just help the mother by pulling it as the mother pushed. This kitten was alive and like the other 2 very healthy but fussy as to what he eats same as one of his sisters .
    From not owning any cats at all and had no plans to own any ,i know have to feed 5 cats and have them sleep in the house. The mother and the kittens are all chipped and neutered and had all their injection but their is no way the father, will allow a vet near him :).
    These are fussy kitten who only eat Oh so fishy topped with Dreams and drink cat milk so i havent a clue how they will cope when im going away for 2 to 3 days when i'll have to put them in a cattery or something. I't wouldnt be fair to have a friend to come in and feed them and clean up after them as they fill the litter trays like if its an olympic sport and sometimes decided that they won't bother using them so it can be a bit of a nightmare.
    Thought about giving them away when they were younger but have named them and have got attached to them so even though they are driving me mad by not using the litter trays at times and sitting on my head and licking me when im asleep and nudging me in the face whilst purring at me when they want breakfast ,i can't seem to want them to leave.:)

Advertisement