Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exhaust Noise Level Laws

• 25-11-2013 11:02am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭

I want to get a new exhaust for my bike as the stock system is too quiet.
    I've been looking at 'road legal' vs race exhausts 'not for road use'.

I know in the UK you can be done for having a loud exhasut.

Are there any laws in Ireland about this. Has anyone had trouble from the guards?

Should I go for a road or race exhaust?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I seem to recall the permissible noise limit is 99dB across-the-board for road vehicles here, but I'm open to correction. In general, the rule is: use a rorty pipe by all means, and as long as you don't act the gowl John Law isn't all that bothered. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Road cans have a 'removeable' baffle, race cans dont (open to correction)

My old sv with a scorpion can was quite loud (lol) and the old fzs too and never any probs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

My current bike has risen the dead !! It's verging on obnoxious to be honest. Drove past plenty of Gardai and never had a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

KTRIC wrote: »
    My current bike has risen the dead !! It's verging on obnoxious to be honest. Drove past plenty of Gardai and never had a problem.

Same here, would consider mine to be on the loud side but never had an issue.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

I still have to do my driving test. Would the examiner care if I had a loud exhaust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Pugzilla wrote: »
    I still have to do my driving test. Would the examiner care if I had a loud exhaust?

I wouldn't risk anything that says not for road use when doing the test. Plenty of road legal exhausts which have db killers, most of the time I didn't remove the db killer as it was plenty load enough when in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I done my test with two ART exhausts on my SV. Both have the usual "not for road use" label on them. I had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

I have a Leo Vince can on my Mille and with the baffle out, it hurt. Now that it's baffled, it's acceptable and although we get away with murder in Ireland with exhausts and number plates, I know I could meet the right Guard who might want to throw the book at me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Here's my exhaust, doesn't sound particular loud on the YT clip but I can set off car alarms with it :)

Its never even raised a cops eye brow ~ although it would burn them right off his face :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

@makk

Man I miss the old SV, popping and spitting flames for fun on downshifts. A fun bike but not for a beginner imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

goodlad wrote: »
    I done my test with two ART exhausts on my SV. Both have the usual "not for road use" label on them. I had no issues.

Testers aren't there to enforce the vehicle laws (bar there's something blatantly obvious), that's for the gardai, I've never had a quiet exhaust but never had one marked 'not for road use', never had an issue.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Advertisement