Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other Ping Pong Paddies out there?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

lufties wrote: »
    I read more than a few articles talking about how overpriced Australian tourism is, when people can holiday in S.E Asia for a fraction of the price. Hell, even Paul Hogan had a go a few years ago, talking about it being a rip off.

And no, not my mates down the pub, people I've met all over the world in fact.

So because SE Asia is so cheap, Australia has no culture???

Paris is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Does that mean it has no culture?

Your point is moot. What I'm saying is the 6.3million people who visited Australia last year for tourism would probably beg to differ with the handful of people you've talked to the world over.

They are certainly coming for something!

(6.3million as per the Australian Bureau of Statistics 2012-2013)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Batgurl wrote: »
    So because SE Asia is so cheap, Australia has no culture???

Paris is one of the most expensive cities in the world. Does that mean it has no culture?

Your point is moot. What I'm saying is the 6.3million people who visited Australia last year for tourism would probably beg to differ with the handful of people you've talked to the world over.

They are certainly coming for something!

(6.3million as per the Australian Bureau of Statistics 2012-2013)

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-13/tourism-review-reveals-business-activity-decline/4883404

Sorry I should have said 'holiday in more interesting places in Asia for a fraction of the price'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

lufties wrote: »
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-13/tourism-review-reveals-business-activity-decline/4883404

Sorry I should have said 'holiday in more interesting places in Asia for a fraction of the price'.

You realise that article reflects the state of South Australia only right?

And again no one is arguing that you can holiday in places with more culture in SE Asia for less money but I fail to see how that aids your argument that Australia has no culture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

This thread is on thin ice - if you can't follow the Boards maxim of "attack the post, not the poster", do not post. It is possible to have a reasonable discussion on this topic, but if the sniping and flaming continues we'll lock the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Im thinking of heading back next year. Im doing good enough, grand job, new car but still not that happy. That buzz wore off. I think I was more happy back home but I can't quite figure out why. As soon as my mates WHV ends sure I'll be all left alone, F that! Anyone wanna buy a car?:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I don't work with any irish people, west australians mostly. I don't frequent irish pubs etc.

I'd been open to a long term commitment to the place but in the last year that enthusiasm had faded badly to the point where i can't imagine being here another full year.

The biggest problem for me has been the locals attitudes towards aboriginals, for some i know aboriginals aren't humans and they express this view with such sencerity that i'm usually left speechless. And i'm not talking about bogans either, these are people with responsible jobs.

This is a major factor for me turning off Perth. I know a lot of east coasters who are equally disgusted. I just can't buy into that culture.

I've met some great people here but at this stage i go to dinners hoping i'm not going to be sitting next to a racist white supremist, one east coaster friend calls Perth Brit-South-Africa!

One of my first encounters here was "you're very welcome, we need more of your type here, too many black!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

New Farm has a its own culture, as do Paddington, Bulimba, Eagle Farm, and Hamilton. They might not be your thing, but they are generally a little more focused over here,

This I don't get.
    Unless your sole concept of a cultural experience is to go to a pub, get scuttered, talk horse**** to total strangers, and get a kebab on the way home. Sure it has a few okay pubs, and a lively young crowd, but if thats your measure of culture, I would suggest you dig deeper before you go lashing the rest of Brisbane because you couldn't have the craic there

I was only in the city for three months, and aside from the West End, I only spent time in Woolloongabba (typical nondescript suburb), and out in Manly / Wynnum - such dead places. TAB bars galore and so on. In short, any place I did go to outside of the West End didn't have much to offer, weren't many bars with good music on offer, (found the Joynt and the Archive to be two of the best pubs I visited in Australia)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

catbear wrote: »
    The biggest problem for me has been the locals attitudes towards aboriginals, for some i know aboriginals aren't humans and they express this view with such sencerity that i'm usually left speechless. And i'm not talking about bogans either, these are people with responsible jobs.

I was starting a new job in Griffith NSW earlier this year and the owner of the business was addressing the staff at our introduction meeting when he asked us to have respect for the facility and not have the place looking like 'coon camp after a week'. Found this very distasteful, given the man is boss of a lot of people, is very well known and his own business empire in that region.... Yeah you could say it's country Australia, but still disgusting nonetheless.

Hate to burst your bubble there but I was checking a three star nice hotel I'd stayed at before in Paris and currently it was working out the same as a motel in Busselton!

What Australia has is crops and rocks by the boatload, it's crowding out the rest of the traditional economy

The Paris hotel was breakfast included, Busselton wasn't.

Australia is expensive, it's probably to the most common bit of advice given out in this forum for potential travelers.

Anyway here's some real Australian culture!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Australian tourism is a multi-billion dollar enterprise.

and only for it, most of Australia outside of the main cities would still be a backwater, something many Australians tend to gloss over.

But I disagree that there is "no culture" in Australia. The cities are probably way more cultured and multicultural than any city in Ireland.

If you want to look at old buildings and ruins, you obviously won't get much of it in Australia, but if you want to experience the great outdoors, and an outdoors lifestyle/culture, then no better place on earth.

There are as many artistic and cultured bands coming out of Australia than anywhere else in the world, and I thought the music you hear on day time radio was streets ahead of anything in Ireland. (Triple J for example).

Art, I can't say, as I don't go visiting museums in Ireland, so wouldn't have a clue how Australia stacks up to say, mainland Europe or the USA. I'd imagine, just down to more population, EU or USA would be better for that kind of thing?

I've heard people in Limerick, where I'm from, say. "I wouldn't like Perth, there's no culture there". Is it any worse than Limerick? Not having a dig at Limerick, but what can one do in Limerick, or Cork, or Dublin, that they couldn't do in Perth or Adelaide or Brisbane?

What do people do in Ireland every week that makes it oh so much more "cultural" than Australia?

Because of the weather in Australia, lots of things reminded me of my time in Italy. Lots of things there reminded me of England, and lots of things reminded me of America.

What I would say to those who say there is "no culture" in Australia. What do you consider "culture"? Where do you go to get your "culture". What is a "cultural holiday" and where can I go on one?

London? Is that full of culture? What do you do in London that you couldn't do in Sydney? There are probably more museums in London, but the majority of people don't go to museums every week. I don't think they go to Australia to see museums. I didn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I spent a year in perth on a permanent residency VISA. I came back after a year as it was not for me. The only thing it had and Ireland doesn't , was the sun , but the temperatures were just too extreme and you soon get pis#ed off with that. I feel that the Aussies sell Australia as something that it is DEFINATELY NOT . I would really like to see the stats on the numbers of people that move out there and the numbers of people who leave again.
    I agree with previous comments on how they treat the aborigines .
    In my time there I felt that the male Aussies were very rough around the edges with their macho behaviour every where you turn.
    I won't be returning anytime soon .
    The only good thing it did do for me was to make me appreciate Ireland even more...

I agree. I liked Perth, but apart from the weather, it could get boring pretty quick. I'd say it would be a good place to raise kids, you could have a nice easy family life there I'd say.
    I also agree with the general attitude to male Aussie blokes. Very gruff and macho. But is it less cultural than Ireland of 2013? If so, how?
    Why would someone choose to move to Germany over Australia, or the UK?
    Playing devil's advocate here.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭blackplum123

I'm not getting into the cultural side. But from the every day living point of view. Australia is a world away and expensive to travel back home from , for a visit, especially for a family . It's always nice to get home for a visit and if you move to Europe , the flights can be for next to nothing as you well know. The cost of living there is extreme and financially you would want a very well paid job to have a decent quality of life.

Actually on thinking back on some Aussies I met for dinner in Perth . I remember them thinking Ireland was back in the dark ages when in fact the shoe was on the other foot big time especially down in Fremantle , Banbury and the likes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,646 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

a ban has been handed out. Others are in thin ice. Any more personal comments and this thread will be locked.

Actually on thinking back on some Aussies I met for dinner in Perth . I remember them thinking Ireland was back in the dark ages when in fact the shoe was on the other foot big time especially down in Fremantle , Banbury and the likes.

Weird you mention that. I know people in Perth who think the same thing. They can't understand why anyone would want to stay/live in Ireland. I find it odd more than anything.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Why would someone choose to move to Germany over Australia, or the UK?
    Playing devil's advocate here.
    It's a fair point. If language wasn't an issue i'd choose germany over australia. I'd have the whole of europe on my doorstep!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I spent a year in perth on a permanent residency VISA. I came back after a year as it was not for me. The only thing it had and Ireland doesn't , was the sun , but the temperatures were just too extreme and you soon get pis#ed off with that. I feel that the Aussies sell Australia as something that it is DEFINATELY NOT . I would really like to see the stats on the numbers of people that move out there and the numbers of people who leave again.

Out of curiosity, how do they sell it?
    I'm not getting into the cultural side. But from the every day living point of view. Australia is a world away and expensive to travel back home from , for a visit, especially for a family . It's always nice to get home for a visit and if you move to Europe , the flights can be for next to nothing as you well know. The cost of living there is extreme and financially you would want a very well paid job to have a decent quality of life.

Extreme if you're coming from Ireland, sure, but if you're working even an average job here it's no different to back home.

It's all relative, and that's regularly forgotten. Sure, it's a lot more expensive for a pint when you take it at face value, but I also earn a much better salary than I would be in Ireland.

Whatever about Bunbury, how is Fremantle in the 'dark ages'? :confused:

Freo a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

It strikes me as ironic that people talking about racism and lack of culture in same post have totally ignored the thousands of years of Indigenous culture/art here.

I have visited brilliant exhibitions in Melbourne, Sydney and Brisbane in last year alone and even at suburban level here in Melbourne there are scores of local councils with permanent exhibits, public art projects etc.

I don't have rose tinted glasses about Aus in any way shape or form. I have been appalled by how refugees are regarded by state here, the selfishness of Liberal government in slashing Foreign Aid to a level that is below Ireland (as a % of GDP) when Ireland's economy is in dire straits and Aus's is envy of the world. Not to mention environment, car culture, media etc.

To me these are real issues. Some of the inane nonsense posted on here is isolated incidence of human behaviour that you will see in spades in any county in the world, if you look hard enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

What do you mean by "car culture"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Cooperspale

Everyone's experience of Australia is going to be different, even your own experience is going to be different if you come here in your 20's versus 30's. Living in Manly will be a far different experience to living in Griffith. The same could be said for living in Belmullet versus Ballsbridge. It's swings and roundabouts.
    My brother lived in Perth, Kalgoorlie, Darwin, Arnhem land and Port Douglas in his 20's. He then spent 4 years in Queenstown, NZ and came back to live in Port Douglas at 30 for 6 months and lasted just under 3 and since shipped off to Miami. He just didn't like the place so much this time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

<snip>

Testament1 wrote: »
    What do you mean by "car culture"?

Well Tony Abbott is on record as saying he wants his legacy to be infrastructure building pm i.e roads. Same here in Melbourne where Napthine and co want to spend entire infrastructure budget on one bloody toll road which will probably wreck neighborhoods and only worsen congestion, but refuse to commit a penny to public transport that is so badly needed. I think this car centric planning could really ruin Melbourne in long term, if it's growth matches forecasts we''ll have urban sprawl and crap, poorly serviced suburbs for 100km around the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭d.pop

Some interesting comments and opinions thrown up by this post...
    I guess I'm a ping pong paddy, lived in Sydney for 2 years, went home, came back a year later for another year, left for 10 years, returned to perth 3 years ago, still here but planing to go home in about 2 years again.
    I've lived (proper lived and worked) in a lot of countries from the uk through Europe to Middle East and Africa. Each had its charms and downside.
    I like Australia, keep coming back so obviously something about it is good! Parts I don't like, some relating to people and personslities, some to more mundane stuff like freaky spiders and deadly critters everywhere... But then I hated the tube in London and the tensions in Middle East, also hated burst pipes in attic at home in winter, guess these are the things that make life interesting.
    But seriously, I loved Sydney in my 20's, big group of friends with money to burn, now a "few" years later with a family Perth is perfect, easy going and lots of space and facilities for kids. With parents getting older at home we'll go back so our kids can spend time with their grandparents before the inevitable happens. If economy picks up we'll stay in Ireland, if not maybe back here.
    There is a study underway in UCC at moment about global commuters and changing lifestyles, quite interesting when you look at it and the effects Skype and cheap airfares have on where we live and how we maintain bonds to home.
    I don't get the comments about culture or lack of, or other comparisons between in my opinion 2 great countries to live. For feck sake if Australia was same as Ireland it wouldn't be known as out foreign or abroad would it?? It's different and so it should be it just comes down to can you live with the differences and at end of day do the positives outweigh the negatives. If not move on.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    It strikes me as ironic that people talking about racism and lack of culture in same post have totally ignored the thousands of years of Indigenous culture/art here.

The locals seemed to do the same thing up until not too long ago. I don't think anyone from Ireland goes to Australia for the indigenous culture, which at most, is only lip service. Look at the Ashes in Adelaide yesterday. They had an Aboriginal elderly lady open the day, but yet around the stadium, every stand was the "Sir ___" stand, and no reference to any Aboriginal flags at all. On the other hand, what are they supposed to do? So I counter argued myself there.
    100% of Irish people go to Australia for the lifestyle, work, the scenery, the barbies, not for Indigenous culture.
    But not that you said it, there is a lot of culture there. (Indigenous). It's a pity it's by a marginalised part of society. But there are so many immigrants now in Australia, there's a little bit of culture from everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Dats_rite

d.pop wrote: »

I don't get the comments about culture or lack of, or other comparisons between in my opinion 2 great countries to live. For feck sake if Australia was same as Ireland it wouldn't be known as out foreign or abroad would it?? It's different and so it should be it just comes down to can you live with the differences and at end of day do the positives outweigh the negatives. If not move on.

Well said, pretty much my thoughts too.

I have an irish friend who's thriving in Perth but it does nothing for me. Each to their own. Much prefer east coast and NZ.

seachto7 wrote: »
    The locals seemed to do the same thing up until not too long ago. I don't think anyone from Ireland goes to Australia for the indigenous culture, which at most, is only lip service. Look at the Ashes in Adelaide yesterday. They had an Aboriginal elderly lady open the day, but yet around the stadium, every stand was the "Sir ___" stand, and no reference to any Aboriginal flags at all. On the other hand, what are they supposed to do? So I counter argued myself there.
    100% of Irish people go to Australia for the lifestyle, work, the scenery, the barbies, not for Indigenous culture.
    But not that you said it, there is a lot of culture there. (Indigenous). It's a pity it's by a marginalised part of society. But there are so many immigrants now in Australia, there's a little bit of culture from everywhere.

Yep, I fully agree with your post. My point is that this really interesting and unique aspect of culture here has been disregarded by posters here, who then talk about locals being racist towards indigenous people etc.

Australia, as a country, is only just over 100 years old, worth bearing this in mind for people coming here looking for 'Australian' history. You have to dig a little deeper to find the history of the place before whitey arrived. ANZAC legend/myth aside, they don't have very many big historic/nation defining events to hang their hats on.

jackbhoy wrote: »
    My point is that this really interesting and unique aspect of culture here has been disregarded by posters here, who then talk about locals being racist towards indigenous people etc.
    So highlighting racism towards aboriginals is at the same time denegrating their ancient culture?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

catbear wrote: »
    I have an irish friend who's thriving in Perth but it does nothing for me. Each to their own. Much prefer east coast and NZ.

So why do you move to the east coast or NZ and stop bashing Perth, and Australia for that matter, all the time on here? Maybe you might have a more positive outlook if you moved to somewhere you like living rather than somewhere you are just living as a money grab mission.

Advertisement