Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any other Ping Pong Paddies out there?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

catbear wrote: »
    So highlighting racism towards aboriginals is at the same time denegrating their ancient culture?

No, as usual you have a unique interpretation of what I said. I was pointing out the irony in decrying Aussie's treatment and ignorance of the plight of indigenous peoples while simultaneously saying there is no history/culture here, thus ignoring all of the fascinating indigenous art works, performance pieces, historic sites etc that are to be found all over Australia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

aido79 wrote: »
    So why do you move to the east coast or NZ and stop bashing Perth, and Australia for that matter, all the time on here? Maybe you might have a more positive outlook if you moved to somewhere you like living rather than somewhere you are just living as a money grab mission.

You didn't answer my question.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

catbear wrote: »
    You didn't answer my question.

I didn't quote your question so don't feel the need to answer it. Anyway your question seems so random in a thread that is about people moving between Ireland or wherever else in the world and Australia or vice versa. I just don't understand why you live in Perth if you hate it so much why you feel the need to bash it at every chance you get on here. Personally I like Perth, and Australia in general, but like everywhere else in the world including Ireland I can acknowledge that it is not perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Back on topic I was in oz on WHV in 06 and went home after. Stuck that out for a few years and am just after getting my PR having arrived in Perth on a 457 in feb 12

I'm in a great paying job but it's gradually sucking the life out of me. In the next few months I will either have to get better work or I'll end up leaving again

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Cant stand Paddies who prefer Oz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

s20101938 wrote: »
    Cant stand Paddies who prefer Oz.

Very high standard of posting you have there champ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

jackbhoy wrote: »
    Yep, I fully agree with your post. My point is that this really interesting and unique aspect of culture here has been disregarded by posters here, who then talk about locals being racist towards indigenous people etc.

Australia, as a country, is only just over 100 years old, worth bearing this in mind for people coming here looking for 'Australian' history. You have to dig a little deeper to find the history of the place before whitey arrived. ANZAC legend/myth aside, they don't have very many big historic/nation defining events to hang their hats on.

I would agree. Though there's enough white history to explore as well, even if most of it wasn't for the greater good.
    For example, I thought the story behind the pipeline from Perth to Kalgoorlie was interesting. It's there alright, but it's not as obvious as "Look! A castle!"

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭s20101938

Zambia wrote: »
    Very high standard of posting you have there champ.

"Champ"? What self respecting Paddy would even think of using such a ridculous word. I bet you say "mate" aswell dont you? Sheesh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

"Champ"? What self respecting Paddy would even think of using such a ridculous word. I bet you say "mate" aswell dont you? Sheesh!

Course I would , have a **** day mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

What self respecting patriot calls their countryman "Paddy" unless it's their name?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

Xavi6 wrote: »
    What self respecting patriot calls their countryman "Paddy" unless it's their name?

Its self deprecating in a tongue in cheek way, like the aussies would call acting the larakin.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 NYC2013

I ping ponged back and forth twice, first in 2008 and stayed for a year and again in 2011 till earlier this year. I don't really like Australia and was only there cause I could work in a job I was actually qualified in. Its way over priced, lucky to get home once ever two years so end up missing Christmas/weddings/funerals etc., met loads of racists Aussies, I like going to sports and concerts but don't like cricket/AFL and only about 5 bands I wanted to see toured for the 3 years I was there. Some of my friends love Austrialia but ping ponging to Aus is finished for me anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

I went & saw Muse last night. Went to see Tool a while ago. Soundwave & big day out also have many bands playing. The days of nobody touring here are long gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

aido79 wrote: »
    I just don't understand why you live in Perth if you hate it so much why you feel the need to bash it at every chance you get on here. Personally I like Perth, and Australia in general, but like everywhere else in the world including Ireland I can acknowledge that it is not perfect.
    I'm here for the money, lots of people are. Eastcoasters, Irish, British, etc...
    I don't even hate Perth, I feel nothing for it. I wanted to but it does nothing for me.

This thread relates to ping pongers, not reasons to love Perth.

For some people there are just not enough reasons but I respect that others relish it, it's great for families and bogans.

Advertisement