Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Water and Bread

Options
  • 25-11-2013 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭

Does hard water make a difference when making bread?

I used this baguette recipe and while they turned out quite well I thought they might have risen a bit more. As I live in a hard water area I was wondering if this has any effect when making bread. :confused:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/baguettes_11543

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

The water shouldn't make a massive difference. It's wintertime, so it might be that your kitchen is quite cool and the bread needs to proove for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭genuine leather

Tree wrote: »
    The water shouldn't make a massive difference. It's wintertime, so it might be that your kitchen is quite cool and the bread needs to proove for longer.

+1

You could also boil up the water,set aside to cool and skim off any minerals that are on the top,there may also be a little settled on the bottom and see if you feel that makes a difference.

Advertisement