Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Masters for devils

• 25-11-2013 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭

Can anyone give me some general guidance on securing a master; Im finding it difficult? Im looking at general commercial practice.

Secondly if anyone has some recent experience with this and would be willing to PM me some more specific info I would be very grateful.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

What year are you looking to come down? Do you have any contacts at the bar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

Law Library website, look for people over 7 years (please correct me on that IIRC it's 7 years for a devil), start emailing and calling the best looking ones.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Bepolite wrote: »
    Law Library website, look for people over 7 years (please correct me on that IIRC it's 7 years for a devil), start emailing and calling the best looking ones.

What if they don't have a picture up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

What if they don't have a picture up?

I did wonder if I needed to amend that double meaning :P most suitable would have been a better choice of phrase! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Bepolite wrote: »

Please dont follow this advice...

My phone wont stop. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭subrosa

Check the list of Masters the Kings Inns keep. Then check the names against the law library website. This should give you an idea of the people who practice in the area you want (the practice areas are usually listed against the name.) Then email, or write to, the people you shortlist to see if they already have a devil for the year you want to come down. Most Masters are used to approaches from potential devils so it's no big deal.

Don't worry you'll find someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Does the Bar Council offer any service in finding masters for pupils?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭benway

The Inns send out a master list every year - the new one should be due out fairly shortly:

http://www.kingsinns.ie/website/current_students/diploma/pdfs/Copy%20of%20Master%20List%202012-13%2011.10.2012.xls

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭Heads the ball

All those lists seem way out of date. Everyone who I have contacted is unavailable. Its tough going.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

All those lists seem way out of date. Everyone who I have contacted is unavailable. Its tough going.

The bold ones are taken for 2012/13. It doesn't mean that they are taken for 2013/14.

Plus, with apparently less in the inns this year, there should be less competition.

• Advertisement
  • Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tom Young

It is appropriate to do your homework and check the practice areas of the potential masters you wish to work with/for. The wrong master could be detrimental to your future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Ask how much you'll be on your feet (the more the better obviously); I also can't recommend circuit enough

Advertisement