Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaio won't boot with battery installed

Options
  • 25-11-2013 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭

My neighbours Sony Vaio PCG-61611M won't boot with battery installed but will if I remove the battery.

With both power adapter and battery connected when I press the power button it lights up green and appears to be starting but that's as far as it goes. No boot screen just a blank screen with no message.

Once I remove the battery and use the power adapter only, the laptop boots up fine every time. My understanding from my neighbour is that the laptop got a clean install in the shop about 12 months ago and he bought a replacement battery last week.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

I would check If the replacement battery is the correct one and if it was holding it's charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

FSL wrote: »
    I would check If the replacement battery is the correct one and if it was holding it's charge.

The replacement battery is the correct one and the reason he bought it was because of this issue I'm posting about. His original battery was borked for ages and when he got the starting issue he assumed it might have been battery related. Funnily enough it will start and run fine every time once no battery is installed & you use AC power only.

I've just removed both the battery and A\C power & held the power button down for 30sec to drain all power so will try it now to see if that does anything.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

OK, I need to revise my original issue after having time to play around with this today.

The Vaio will start with or without the battery but it is intermittent. It might startup 3 consecutive times and then not on the forth attempt or, it might not start for a number of attempts but will eventually if I keep trying. Once started it is detecting, charging and holding the charge on the new battery so I'm assuming the battery has nothing to do with the issue. Every time I start-up, the green power light on the power switch lights solid green whether the laptop starts up or not so I'm guessing the power button switch is ok too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

My best guess would be a failing component on the mother board or a loose power connection to the mother board.

Well I bit the bullet & went in for heart surgery :)

Disassembled the lappy and checked every connection on the Mobo and all appear to be fine, disconnected them and re-connected them just to make sure.

Can't see any obvious issue, was pleasantly surprised how clean it was inside too, not as much as a spec of dust on the cooler or fan either. Think I'll close it up now unless anyone can suggest anything else I should check prior to putting it all back together, and see what happens!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

sony laptops are very finicky about using non sony batteries. you might need to look for a bios patch to allow non sony batteries to work. http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1709396/oem-battery-sony-laptop-bios-patch.html

See sony's stance on non sony batteries

https://us.en.kb.sony.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/42608

sony laptops are very finicky about using non sony batteries. you might need to look for a bios patch to allow non sony batteries to work.

Well, the new battery is being detected, is charging and is holding it's charge. This issue was there with the old original battery too, so I'm leaning towards the battery not being a cause.

I failed to replicate this issue all day yesterday, it started everytime be it on battery or A\C. Turned it on this morning and God damn that VAIO, it wouldn't start. I've tried time after time and have not got it to start yet. All the relevant lights come on including the power button light but no start

Maybe it is a failing part on the Mobo?

Advertisement