Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter wetsuit advice

Options
  • 25-11-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi guys,
    Looking for advice for a new winter wetsuit.

Couple of seasons ago I got the C Skins Hooded wired 6 4.

Great suit, really warm BUT its very restrictive for paddling and getting in and out of it can be a bitch! I'm knackered by the time I've managed to get it on and after the paddle out.......!

So am in the mood to get a good suit that will keep me warm and is still really flexible.

Would appreciate any recommendations.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

http://store.magicseaweed.com/Xcel-Mens-5mm-Drylock-Hooded-Black-Wetsuit/Item/24733/

I have the 2012/13 version of this suit and it's the dogs blx

It flushes up as far as the elbow from the odd heavy wipeout and powerful miss calculated duckdive, if you tighten it right on the hood it doesn't let any water in.

I was wearing it yesterday in Doughmore and I was sweating in it. I changed into my new O'Neils Mutant when I went on to Lahinch it felt much colder. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 36 longboarder

Thanks Geomy,

Looks really nice. Anybody here stock them I wonder.

Would like to try one on.

On the wish list now anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 linnanea

Wild Side Sports in Bandon always have a rake of em in stock. Might even have a few of last season's discounted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Dr Nic

Rip curl f bomb 2011 5 3 here. I've done 5 hours in the water in it in December toasty warm. Not too hard to maneuver either. Screw paddling too dude. Just wait for clean days like this morn, last sun or fingers crossed this sun coming .. :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Couple of seasons ago I got the C Skins Hooded wired 6 4.

Great suit, really warm BUT its very restrictive for paddling

The C-Skins 5/4/3 is plenty warm enough and not as restrictive...I found it warmer and less restrictive and a few other makes I had before that. Great suit, durable too. Had a rip curl before that but it came apart and let the water in. The important thing is to get a suit that fits correctly. Ah, the memories of Co. Clare in the winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

I'm using an Excel Drylock II from http://bundoransurfshop.com/
    it is a 5/4/3 and I have a full sleeve rashie underneath , Excel boots , gloves (and a zip on hood for when I need it) .

I've never been too cold in the last 2 years and I haven't missed a month surfing yet !

Hope this helps
    Fionn

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭qapmoc

I'm using a 2013/14 C-skins Wired 5/4/3 from www.sunset.ie for €280 delivered. Very happy with it, really warm compared to other 5/4/3 I have had. Saw exact same suit on magicseaweed.com for €299.10, on wetsuitcentre.co.uk @ €329 and at €290 / €295 in some other Irish shops, so its nice to get a top quality suit at competitive prices in Ireland, plus next day delivery. Wearing a 5/4/3 wetsuit is never as nice as surfing in Bali though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

C skins is a good suit but the neoprene on the legs is just a tad to thick and a complete bugger to take off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

rodento wrote: »
    C skins is a good suit but the neoprene on the legs is just a tad to thick
    their 5/4/3 is the same thickness on the legs as other makes I think...4mm on the legs, its what the middle number is. The body is thicker at 5mm. Have found no difference in taking it off than some other suits. Nice and warm though, no flushing.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

maryishere wrote: »
    their 5/4/3 is the same thickness on the legs as other makes I think...4mm on the legs, its what the middle number is. The body is thicker at 5mm. Have found no difference in taking it off than some other suits. Nice and warm though, no flushing.

I'd say he's talking about the 6/5/4 wired, which is what I have. It's a great suit but an absolute nightmare to get out of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Its the 5'4'3 one, kinda makes me feel like the michelin man :D

Good solid suit but I hate it and now use it as my second back up suit even though its a year newer than my billabong one.

Billabong one is also a **** to get out of but is a far lighter suit and is just as warm

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭malibu4u

I had a Billabong suit and it found it difficult enough to get in to and out of too.

I use an O'Neill suit now. I find it better overall than the Billabong, although I have a few mates who have Billabong and C-Skin and they are happy enough with them.

Have any of you tried the tiki suit's ?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Geomy wrote: »
    Have any of you tried the tiki suit's ?

I don't know why, but I always associate that brand with the seasonal summer surfers......

EmptyTree wrote: »
    I don't know why, but I always associate that brand with the seasonal summer surfers......

Pat the Preacher swears by them...

I never see anyone wearing tiki wetsuits when I'm out there. ..

Because of a number of different commitments I haven’t been able to get out surfing as often as I used to, but it looks like for the year or so I should be able to get out more regularly. I was thinking of splashing out and getting a new wetsuit (C-skins wired 5/4), I’ve had my current one a good while now and it deserves to be retired (or used as a back up). The only thing I was wondering was about the chest zip/top entry. I tried one on before and it was a workout getting in and out of it! Is this type of wetsuit more prone to ware and tear?? (My current suit is a back zip). I don’t want to spend that much if it’s going to need replacing after a year of moderate (or less!) use. On the other hand, all the mid to high end suits seem to have gone this way, so there’s not much choice. Just wondering if anyone had an opinion?

If I had a choice of suit I'd get a patagonia, I borrowed one, its very flexible and warm.
    I use the excel drylock powerseam myself and have the O'Neil s mutant as a spare.
    The O'Neils is a bit cooler and the drylock is roasting, the patagonia is just right lol
    But the next time ill get a patagonia r4

Cheers for that Geomy, but I was thinking more in terms of style of suit entry. Chest entry suits seems to need to be stretched a fair bit to get in/out of them. I was wondering does this shorten the lifespan of the wetsuit much because of all the ware and tear??

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Cheers for that Geomy, but I was thinking more in terms of style of suit entry. Chest entry suits seems to need to be stretched a fair bit to get in/out of them. I was wondering does this shorten the lifespan of the wetsuit much because of all the ware and tear??

The chest entry suits loosen out after a while, and they don't flush as much as back entry suits.
    The neoprene nowadays is very stretchy and they're made for ware and tare.
    It's bewildering getting cold and frustrated getting out of a new suit, but you get your own technique and it's easier after a while.
    No it doesn't shorten the life of the wetsuit.

Advertisement