Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Fertility Appointment - What To Expect

Options
  • 25-11-2013 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello all :)

Just looking for some information on what happens at the first appointment. I am seeing Dr. Allen in Michaels on Wednesday

I had my day 3 and 21 day bloods done by my GP, and have been told I am more than likely not ovulating as my levels are so low.

We lost our first baby through miscarriage in 2005. We have been trying to conceive for 7 years. I'm just nervous and it would help to have an idea of what to expect.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Parris83

Anyone at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Roustabout

Hi Parris83,
    I suppose everyone's first appointment is slightly different based on whatever your own issues are. However, I'll give you my experience, which was with Dr. Mocanu in the HARI. My Day 3 and 21 bloods showed I am ovulating and no other issues that I was aware of, other than I can't get pregnant! First appointment was brief enough to be honest, but as I said, everyone's will be different based on their issues. He had a standard form that he filled out with me, which went through all the basic fertility questions etc. I have a recurring pain in my left side so he did a vaginal ultrasound to have a look. Everything appeared normal. He also had the nurse take blood to do an egg reserve test. He recommended that I have a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy & D&C to enable him to get a full picture of what's going on. He asked if I had any questions, which I don't think I had and that was it!
    I've since had those procedures done and I'm just coming up to (what I hope is) ovulation time. Fingers crossed ;)
    First appointments are just an introduction to the start of the process from what I see. Based on test results etc, the rest of the road will be mapped out from there.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Paris, I'm also preparing for my first appointment in fertility clinic. I've rang a few of them to find out what the drill is and they all say the same thing, that things will be speeded up depending on how much testing you've already had done before. Has your partner had his semen analysis done? Because they will definitely want to see that. If he hasn't then that will probably be one of the first things they will want to arrange to be done.

Roustabout wrote: »
    Hi Parris83,
    I suppose everyone's first appointment is slightly different based on whatever your own issues are. However, I'll give you my experience, which was with Dr. Mocanu in the HARI. My Day 3 and 21 bloods showed I am ovulating and no other issues that I was aware of, other than I can't get pregnant! First appointment was brief enough to be honest, but as I said, everyone's will be different based on their issues. He had a standard form that he filled out with me, which went through all the basic fertility questions etc. I have a recurring pain in my left side so he did a vaginal ultrasound to have a look. Everything appeared normal. He also had the nurse take blood to do an egg reserve test. He recommended that I have a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy & D&C to enable him to get a full picture of what's going on. He asked if I had any questions, which I don't think I had and that was it!
    I've since had those procedures done and I'm just coming up to (what I hope is) ovulation time. Fingers crossed ;)
    First appointments are just an introduction to the start of the process from what I see. Based on test results etc, the rest of the road will be mapped out from there.
    Best of luck

Thanks for sharing your experience, I appreciate it :) You've been through a lot already, well done!

Fingers crossed for you x

Lucuma wrote: »
    Paris, I'm also preparing for my first appointment in fertility clinic. I've rang a few of them to find out what the drill is and they all say the same thing, that things will be speeded up depending on how much testing you've already had done before. Has your partner had his semen analysis done? Because they will definitely want to see that. If he hasn't then that will probably be one of the first things they will want to arrange to be done.

Thanks for replying :)

No he hasn't, I thought they would do all of that. I wonder if he could give them a sample, or will he have to visit the GP and then send the results to the fertility clinic.

Good luck with your first appointment x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Thank you. To be honest, I'm actually really looking forward to sitting down in front of a professional to look at our results and have a frank discussion. Because of our living/working crazy life we have had piecemeal tests and rushed conversations with different doctors that we don't really know and don't know us so far, and always separate doctors to each other as well.

No they will do all of that, it's just sometimes people get it done beforehand. I'd say they'll schedule that for him (as opposed to expecting him to give the sample there and then!) and then maybe order some additional blood tests for you. I think they like to see a full set of recent blood tests done on the woman anyway (not just the ovulation ones but a general health check on you). In your case as your day 3 + 21 showed your not ovulating they might order specific tests to try and investigate why that is.

Lucuma wrote: »
    No they will, it's just sometimes people get it done beforehand. I'd say they'll schedule that for him and then maybe order some additional blood tests for you. I think they like to see a full set of recent blood tests done on the woman anyway (not just the ovulation ones but a general health check)

Thank you, you've been a huge help! I just want to get things started now :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Parris83 wrote: »
    Thanks for replying :)

No he hasn't, I thought they would do all of that. I wonder if he could give them a sample, or will he have to visit the GP and then send the results to the fertility clinic.

Good luck with your first appointment x

They will normally send you a letter detailing what tests you need done beforehand. Ours did, and consisted of: repeat day3 and day21 bloods for me, bloods for him. An hour before our consult, the semen analysis was done. This cant be done by the GP as the lab need the sample less than an hour old. I got a transvaginal scan and then we sat in front of the consultant and discussed our respective results.

I wouldnt go getting tests done beforehand because some clinics want to do their own themselves, even if your test results are recent, and you might end up paying twice. Best ring and ask them before shelling out money.

If you have any information of previous cycles it completes the picture so try and gather information on what days in previous cycles your period started, if you used OPK's and their result and any other TTC info that you think might be relevant. I used a little pocket calendar for mine.

Best of luck. I hope you get speedy results. :)

Thanks Neyite, appreciate the reply :)

So we had our first appointment yesterday. We went through our history, discussed possible reasons for not conceiving, and what tests we would be having done over the next few months.

Having my day 3 and 21 bloods again, semen test for my other half, and HSG in Holles street.

After these we'll meet with our doctor again. I am just so relieved we have started on our journey to what will hopefully be a happy ending :)

Thanks again to ye all for the information and advice x

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Hollywood130

I'm having HSG Test next Tuesday, partner is having semen analysis, then consultation in February

Feeling pretty nervous about the HSG test but looking forward to getting answers and moving things forward this year! Praying for a little bundle of joy in 2014

• Advertisement
Advertisement