Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powering Bathroom Extractor fan from Lightswitch

Options
  • 25-11-2013 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

As the title says;

I am trying to determine if i can power a bathroom extractor fan from a 3 gang light switch i.e take a loop from the COM terminal at the back of the light switch and power the extractor fan etc.

I have an existing 2 gang switch outside the bathroom which i could get changed to a 3 gang if it was do-able etc.

I just require the fan to come on, on the switch and do not require it on when the lights are on etc.

Can't post pic at the minute but will post a pic of the extisting 2 ganag switch later.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

In general this is not a problem.
    What is the size of the load of the fan in watts?

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭dingdong1234567

The Fan is 34w. Its an xpelair sl150t

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

That is a small load so that it should not be an issue in terms of load size.

I am assuming that the cables on this circuit are al least 1.5 sq. mm and that the circuit is not overloaded and it is properly protected (a 10A B type MCB would be normal).

However I am not so sure that this fan is suitable for installation in a bathroom.
    I would suggest that you check this. It appears to be designed for kitchens and utility rooms.

2011 wrote: »
    That is a small load so it should not be an issue.
    I am assuming that the cables on this circuit are al least 1.5 sq. mm and that the circuit is not overloaded and it is properly protected (a 10A B type MCB would be normal).

Yes on both counts 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Moocow100

No Problem

• Advertisement

On the wiring diagram HERE i need a L and Neutral feed (SL150 wiring diagram). Where would these be positioned with reference to the pic in my first post?

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Cycling Dumbasses

It would be worth noting that not providing an isolation switch for bathroom fans as required by the Wiring Rules clause 555.1.2. the installation does not comply with ETCI rules.
    A 5amp functional switch is not acceptable as a maintenance isolation switch for bathroom fans.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 338 ✭✭Crazy Eye

It would be worth noting that not providing an isolation switch for bathroom fans as required by the Wiring Rules clause 555.1.2. the installation does not comply with ETCI rules.
    A 5amp functional switch is not acceptable as a maintenance isolation switch for bathroom fans.

so a bath extractor fan needs its own seperate swtich plate along side the light switch outside the bathroom ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

wrong rule.. it's 555.5 specifically for fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    so a bath extractor fan needs its own seperate swtich plate along side the light switch outside the bathroom ?

Yes a 3 pole fan isolating switch. They are usually put high up on the wall outside the bathroom, as they dont need to be operated during normal use of the fan.

• Advertisement

If one uses an inline extractor fan and fan is in attic triple pole isolator should be in the attic, exception to a lockable type where maintenance person is the key holder of isolator while carrying out maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

If one uses an inline extractor fan and fan is in attic triple pole isolator should be in the attic, exception to a lockable type where maintenance person is the key holder of isolator while carrying out maintenance.

obviously...duh:rolleyes:

"vicinity of fan" as per rules

Just being helpful to the OP. ;)

This may not be obvious to the OP.
    Let's be nice, thanks.

Just being helpful to the OP. ;)

Yes was worth a mention alright.

Yes agreed. I was aware of that.

Alright lads I appreciate the comments. Really i do....sooooo what about the wiring that I mentioned earlier?

Bruthal wrote: »
    Yes a 3 pole fan isolating switch. They are usually put high up on the wall outside the bathroom, as they dont need to be operated during normal use of the fan.

could you place a switch at normal wall height outside bathroom so that fan could be kept off when just wanting to brush teeth or go to the loo ?
    but when you want a shower you press the shower switch on and then press the fan switch on aswell . can you do it that way ?

Crazy Eye wrote: »
    could you place a switch at normal wall height outside bathroom so that fan could be kept off when just wanting to brush teeth or go to the loo ?
    but when you want a shower you press the shower switch on and then press the fan switch on aswell . can you do it that way ?

A better way to do that would possibly be to have the fan on its own light switch as well, as in a standard light switch just for the fan. And keep the Isolating switch up out of the way, rather than using the isolator switch as the on off switch.

A better way to do that would possibly be to have the fan on its own light switch as well, as in a standard light switch just for the fan. And keep the Isolating switch up out of the way, rather than using the isolator switch as the on off switch.

This is exactly want I want to achieve. Just need to to determine the wiring etc.

• Advertisement

nice one thats what id like to have as i dont see the point in the fan being on if im washing hands of teeth , or if i leave lights on in bathroom for litle uns incase they need the bathroom during the night

Advertisement