Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

house to workshop broadband

• 25-11-2013 1:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hi all, I have eircom broadband in my house and would like to access it in my workshop which is about 300 metres across fields from my house. Is there any way I can reliably transmit the wireless signal from the house to the workshop? I have electric already connected to the shed. Any help or suggestions and solutions are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭homer911

The usual suggestions would be a high speed homeplug or a wifi repeater..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

homer911 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend a particular model or brand that would cover this distance without loosing the quality of signal?

homer911 wrote: »
    Can anyone reccomend a particular model or brand that would cover this distance without loosing the quality of signal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

This will solve your problem, give these people a shout
    Wicom Systems Ltd.
    TEL: 052 6157330
    http://wicomstore.com/product/nanostation-m2/
    p.s. I have no connection with this company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Is the shed running off the house meter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

home plugs wont work... the workshop is likely on a separate power fuse box. especially if the workshop has 3 phase power sockets for machinery - noise will be insanely high)

you have 3 options.

1. hi gain external wifi antennae (best option) something like this would do nicely http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833980009
    2. run a cat 5e or cat 6 cable (not recommended due to potential dangerous risk of electrical fire if one of the two fuse boxes gets a surge or fault)
    3. optical cable linking house to workshop (expensive to install requires special optical to ethernet equipment on both ends)

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Is the shed running off the house meter?

No separate power supplies to both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

300 Metres is too far for homeplugs anyway.
    Its too far for ethernet cable too.
    If there are trees or other obstructions in the line of sight, then wifi is out too. You're left with running fibre then, which won't be cheap.

What's your budget here? It might be cheaper overall to just drop a dsl connection into the workshop, if it has a phone in it already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

300 Metres is too far for homeplugs anyway.
    Its too far for ethernet cable too.
    If there are trees or other obstructions in the line of sight, then wifi is out too. You're left with running fibre then, which won't be cheap.

What's your budget here? It might be cheaper overall to just drop a dsl connection into the workshop, if it has a phone in it already.

the hi gain outdoor wifi antennae will work for him (about €60 - €70 once off charge - far cheaper than a new dsl sub with 12 month contract)

mount it on the chimney of the house nice and high and it should have less obstructions to block it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭trompele

Hi,
    If you have LoS between 2 places use wifi bridge to connect 2 places.
    Ubiquiti nanostation loco m5 from linitx.com would be sufficient (it will most likely work with NLoS - near line of sight).

• Advertisement
Advertisement