Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best broadband provider, vodafon or sky?

• 25-11-2013 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

i am currently on mobile broadband with vodafone.
    Should i switch to sky home package or get the vodafone home package for broadband.
    which is best?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Can you get fibre where you live? If so go with Vodafone,Sky won't have fibre until April at least plus VF is cheaper and they offer standalone broadband.

http://www.vodafone.ie/home-phone-broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 5 fogs

thanks Zerks ,
    ya can get fibre.
    are vodafone on fibre.

Hi Zerks

i know vodafone have fibre.
    the reason i asked was because i called in to their shop last week and the girl working there said that their fibre network would be commencing in my area within weeks.
    i live in cork.
    so i was curious about their fibre.
    i take it is not on eircom e fibre network so hence my query , are vodafon on fibre like eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

fogs wrote: »
    Hi Zerks

i know vodafone have fibre.
    the reason i asked was because i called in to their shop last week and the girl working there said that their fibre network would be commencing in my area within weeks.
    i live in cork.
    so i was curious about their fibre.
    i take it is not on eircom e fibre network so hence my query , are vodafon on fibre like eircom.

I have Vodafone fibre and it's great,same network as Eircom (they are the ones rolling it out).As a bonus,if you have a bill pay mobile with VF,you can get standalone fibre with them for €25 a month unlimited.The only catch is you need to sign into a 24 month contract.I'm not sure if the girl in the shop can tell you that,I found out from a neighbour and rang Vodafone who confirmed the offer.

My wifi speed averages 47Mb/s d/l & 14Mb/s upload.Atm my line can handle 50Mb/s.

thanks

• Advertisement

just did speed test on my current broadband provider with speedtest.net
    result download 2.66mbps upload 1.77mbps. ( the best i got)
    will fibre improve this.
    when i click on vodafon icon on my computer its says 54.0mbps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

fogs wrote: »
    just did speed test on my current broadband provider with speedtest.net
    result download 2.66mbps upload 1.77mbps. ( the best i got)
    will fibre improve this.
    when i click on vodafon icon on my computer its says 54.0mbps

54mbps is not your Internet speed. It is the speed of the wireless adapter on your laptop/pc. In other words, it is the LAN speed.

You should see a vast improvement in the speed on fiber but judging by your current speeds, you may be at the end of an exchange of at least a good distance away.

Advertisement