Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad back/shoulders from heavy baby?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭

Is there any special technique/back support for holding a baby while feeding that helps with back/neck/shoulder ache? My lad weighs 10lb, and I've been holding him sitting up for feeds to prevent spitting up/air intake etc. However, I'm finding my back, shoulder and neck are killing me. He also likes to be cradled which contributes to the ache.

I hold him generally on my left side, bottle in the right hand. I prop him up by his shoulders/back of the neck with my left elbow propped on a pillow. This means that I'm holding the bottle with my right hand, and looking at him towards my left - this seems to be what causes the strain along the right side of my neck and shoulder.

I'm not looking for medical advice, I'm just wondering is there anything I can do in terms of holding or feeding technique that'll lessen the ache?! It'll only get worse as he gets heavier! Last night, when I (finally) got him to sleep and lay down myself, my back and neck were throbbing.

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I found the breast feeding cushion helped a lot and the baba sling was brilliant walking around. 2 of mine were nearly 12lb by 6 weeks and my back was done in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Cheers moonbeam, I do use a breastfeeding cushion, well, it's a v-shaped cushion that I put under him. It's great for taking the weight when I'm cradling him trying to get him to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

I used a breastfeeding cushion and then put a pillow on top of that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

The cushion will help but its really how your back is positioned that will make the difference. Do you have a straight backed chair that you can sit with your back flush against? My six week old is nearly 12lb and I usually hold his whole weight when feeding (breast feeding and raise him up to position his belly facing mine). I have a wooden rocking chair with a great high straight back but of course end up on the couch alot of the time but I can really feel the benefits when I sit in the rocking chair as it doesn't allow you to slouch. You don't need to mess around with pillows as much either.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Oh and another great tip from my antenatal classes was to roll up a hand towel and place it in the small of your back when you are sitting, to sort of fill in the space in the curve there. Really works. I use it all the time when driving long distances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

All great tips, thank you ladies. I had to sink a couple of difene today, and I handed over feeding duties to anyone who was willing to take him (a few eager aunties and his granny all got a go!) in the hope that resting would help. If it continues I'll be heading to a physio I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Heading to physio myself in the morning for partly this reason. Lower back has been fairly bad on and off since labour and now upper back and shoulder are kicking in goodo from the feeding and keeping herself upright for 20 mins after each feed. Have tried a lot of these solutions but will try the one or two I haven't already given a go. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I had awful upper back, shoulder and neck pain on my son so when A was born we bought a nursing chair. We got the cheapest one (€150!) from Smyths. We'd have gotten one secondhand if we had waited for a few days but my shoulders were already getting sore so we got a new one. I sold it for €80 recently so it was a good investment as I have had zero back pain on A.

I definitely paid more than €150 in physio fees on O.

Advertisement