Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Prep Courses

Options
  • 25-11-2013 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of doing the 1 day prep courses for Garda Aptitude/Interviews? Alot of courses popping up now with the expected recruitment soon, wondering if anyone can recommend one.

I've been told this one's better than that one etc, just seeing if people have experience of it?

Anyone know anything about this place? http://careerservices.ie/an-garda-siochana/booking-form

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Scouser

would it be possible to have a sticky thread for all prep courses out there with reviews and comments from people who have sat them?

primarily it would serve as a tidy reference for the forum but it would also stop a million more prep course threads from starting up......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭RUNNER 1

Id like to here off any1 aswell , if any1 noz any good 1s

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭thekopend

RUNNER 1 wrote: »
    Id like to here off any1 aswell , if any1 noz any good 1s

Templemore man good I thought.

Did anyone try GIS course?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gmekit

djor88 wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody has any experience of doing the 1 day prep courses for Garda Aptitude/Interviews? Alot of courses popping up now with the expected recruitment soon, wondering if anyone can recommend one.

I've been told this one's better than that one etc, just seeing if people have experience of it?

Anyone know anything about this place? http://careerservices.ie/an-garda-siochana/booking-form

Not great. Try kctraining. Brill worked for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Blues and twos

I did the GIS Garda interview solutions one and it's the best one I found out there. But more expensive but covers everything and the course operator is a member and is really helpful. I've been in contact with her loads since too. Well worth doing.

wow to think some new users used their first posts on here to promote a business is really heartening

i dont feel like im being sold to at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Blues and twos

Dunno what ur on about there. This is a prep course advice thread and having been on that course that's what I'm saying about it. And I am a new user under this name yes but had a username years go when I was applying back in 2007 for the guards but don't use the email address any more and forgot name/password. Detective squad isn't for you scouser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

Scouser wrote: »
    wow to think some new users used their first posts on here to promote a business is really heartening

i dont feel like im being sold to at all

It's the topic of the tread. He's entitled to his opinion.

After getting wind there that the first stage will be a verbal online. This will have to be done within a week from application. Just a heads up!

• Advertisement

Dunno what ur on about there. This is a prep course advice thread and having been on that course that's what I'm saying about it. And I am a new user under this name yes but had a username years go when I was applying back in 2007 for the guards but don't use the email address any more and forgot name/password. Detective squad isn't for you scouser

that course provided me with loads of info for the upcoming campaign PS ;)

little tongue in cheek was the above comment, wasnt expecting someone of your experience to go off on one!

welcome'back' to boards

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭annlewis

thekopend wrote: »
    After getting wind there that the first stage will be a verbal online. This will have to be done within a week from application. Just a heads up!

Verbal Reasoning is the first stage ? Oh nooo.. anything but verbal reasoning :(

annlewis wrote: »
    Verbal Reasoning is the first stage ? Oh nooo.. anything but verbal reasoning :(

Ya it's being brought back in, not much time to practise now, there will be about a week to log on and do it once it goes live, so I am told! That is how they are going to cull numbers, crafty.

Ya it's being brought back in, not much time to practise now, there will be about a week to log on and do it once it goes live, so I am told! That is how they are going to cull numbers, crafty.
    They moved it from stage one to stage two but now its going to be back at stage one again ? Oh no. Better get some practice so grrr

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭kev-bt

Heard the same thing, got I hate Verbal Reasoning!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

John , jack , Jim and Jamie were all playing with their flutes!

Jim has the biggest.

True

False

Can't say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Faith and Justice

3fullback wrote: »
    John , jack , Jim and Jamie were all playing with their flutes!

Jim has the biggest.

True

False

Can't say

Can't say

annlewis wrote: »
    They moved it from stage one to stage two but now its going to be back at stage one again ? Oh no. Better get some practice so grrr

They got rid of verbal reasoning for awhile. Used to be

1:verbal reasoning
    2:analytical reasoning
    3:job senarios

They then got rid of verbal reasoning and did a skills and experience questionair instead.
    Now I'm lead to believe it will be back

1:verbal reasoning- online

Then proceed to these in a written environment if you make the cut

saves time and money

cuts the applicants down to a target percentile

then it goes from quantity to quality

i think the army cadetship cut the applicants from 9k to 1.5k based on stage one

100people got to stage 4 - interview

they took 30 on or so

so you had to be in the top 1% to get in :eek:

handy :cool:

They then got rid of verbal reasoning and did a skills and experience questionair instead.

Yea I remember. They moved it to stage two then, remember ? You had to do it with your report writing.
    Painful but we'll be ok :)

• Advertisement

Yea I remember. They moved it to stage two then, remember ? You had to do it with your report writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭3fullback

Surely this is going to allow for 'A' lot of cheating.... Timmy down the road is doing maths in university he's going sitting it for me !!!!

3fullback wrote: »
    Surely this is going to allow for 'A' lot of cheating.... Timmy down the road is doing maths in university he's going sitting it for me !!!!

hence the second supervised one - your discrepancies/cheating will be shown up very quickly and youll be shown the door

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

It'll be like the Fire Brigade and HSE tests run by public service appts, if you cheat you'll be caught at the second set, they'll make you repeat the same test in a supervised environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭djor88

I signed up for the day course this Saturday with Career Services in Dublin, anyone else doing it? I figure it's a good day to do it, considering the details of the process will be out this Thursday, everything fresh in the head then for applying...

Getting the verbal top up done myself, with t more man. Was not covered on the last course.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cahergal

Templemore man good I thought.
    Do you have his contact details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sand Man

Their is a company called ********* offering prep courses day and online for preperation to the garda,i checked the site out,looks legit

Advertisement