Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with remains of my dog

• 25-11-2013 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭

My dog passed away last Saturday and I'm pretty sure I'm going to get her individually cremated and keep half of her ashes and scatter the other half over our favourite walking area.The vet said he found comfort burying his dogs over the years but I have nowhere to bury my dog and i don't have my own house and garden and have no feelings or any attachment at all to anyone elses garden (eg family).

I'm just wondering what have others done with the remains of precious pets and is there anything else i can do that would be comforting as time goes by. I read about getting a paw print in a frame and that kind of thing. I'm not thinking clearly so any help would be good while she is still being kept in the vets.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ah so sorry to hear this Lucyx, such a horrible time :( I got both my dog and cat cremated. I got Bonnys ashes back in a scatter tube like this

cqjg.jpg

I had intended scattering the ashes on the local beach but I just couldn't do it, so I have it on a side table in my apartment with her collar and a photo of her. :o

Beanies ashes I got back in a lovely tribute box, which is made of pine and has a slot to put a photo. The tag is also engraved on the front with their name. The ashes are neatly wrapped in decorative paper inside. I wasn't intending to get him cremated but am very glad I did now.

muja.jpg

You can also get animal shaped ornaments in different textiles e.g wood or bronze. If you have a look at this website it'll give you an idea of some of the other options.

Very sorry for your loss. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Lucyx

Thats exactly the info I needed. Its just so difficult and I desperately need to do everything correctly now as I know this will give me some comfort later on.

The tribute box looks suitable for me.

I miss her so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Came across this saying from the ancient Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu today and it brings me comfort:

"Don't cry, because one day when you come to the place where I am now, you will wonder why you cried."

i so hope thats true boomerang. Shes such a special little dog and the loss is unbearable

I'm wondering should i get a book on dealing with the loss to try to help me through this? I feel so guilty and I'm in terrible shock. I can't believe her bed is empty and I won't walk her again and touch her again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

These guys are great:

https://www.facebook.com/TheAPLB

I've been where you are just now and a few months down the road I am still working my way through it. Baby steps. Give yourself time to process the shock and to grieve. Don't let anyone minimise your loss. I promise it will get easier. xxx

ETA: Oh and when you are ready, have a look through the Departed Pets thread. You don't have to be ready to post about her there - I'm still not. But you will find consolation and perspective. It's not a road you have to walk alone.

• Advertisement

I just don't know what to do with myself. We spent so much time together and I always got her out and about loads so I'm at a loss as to how I'm going to fill that time.

And her dog beds and bowls are everywhere and its probably better to have them out of sight but I can't move them. I don't know what to be doing at all.

My dog is almost 4 years gone and I still shed the odd tear. It will and does get easier though.It is unbearable at the start but trust me it will get easier and you will eventually smile when you remember her.The expression "time heals all" is very true.

If it's any help, the scatter tube and tribute box are part of the normal/basic cremation package. I don't know if money is an issue but in case you want to know there's no price difference in either of those options.Sorry if this sounds insensitive at the minute :o

anniehoo wrote: »
    My dog is almost 4 years gone and I still shed the odd tear. It will and does get easier though.It is unbearable at the start but trust me it will get easier and you will eventually smile when you remember her.The expression "time heals all" is very true.

If it's any help, the scatter tube and tribute box are part of the normal/basic cremation package. I don't know if money is an issue but in case you want to know there's no price difference in either of those options.Sorry if this sounds insensitive at the minute :o

I appreciate what you're saying so thats ok.

Its the only time that money is no issue. I have to do the right thing by Missy and honour the lovely dog that she was and I want to do whatever I can with respect to her. It'll give me great comfort going forward also.

I've loads and loads of photos and videos of her so they are so precious. Thank God for iPhone. I never appreciated technology so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

How much are we talking about here?

Small (up to 10kgs) ~ €150
    Medium (11 to 30kgs) ~€185
    Large (31 to 45kgs) ~€210
    Giant Breeds (>45kgs) ~€320

This is a rough guide and will vary depending on what company is used and what the vet decides to charge but these are average prices to clients. Vets will pay ~€50-100 less than these prices to the crematorium company.

These are the RRPs so it depends if the vet wants to charge a markup or not. Again, sorry Lucyx I hope this isn't too upsetting to discuss prices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I paid E70 for my cat's ashes. He came over to Ireland with me and was my best mate. Cat's been gone three years now, and I still miss him dreadfully. I have my little dog who I'm nuts about, but he ain't the cat!!

Anyway - My boy's ashes are in a lovely oak casket with his name on. The box is on my bedside table. I still say 'Morning Benny' and 'Night, night, Benny Boy' to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

So sorry for your loss, brought a tear to my eye reading about how distressed you are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Lucyx, it is so hard, and so very very sad, console yourself that you did the last and best thing for your little dog by having her put to sleep. Its a horrendous time and the pain is terrible, but it does get easier. Get yourself a nice photo of her, and enlarge it, put it in a nice frame, when you feel ready. In the meantime its hard to know what to do with yourself. Think about whether its better to put her bed/bowls/toys away out of sight, to make it easier. My heart goes out to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

Small (up to 10kgs) ~ €150
    Medium (11 to 30kgs) ~€185
    Large (31 to 45kgs) ~€210
    Giant Breeds (>45kgs) ~€320

This is a rough guide and will vary depending on what company is used and what the vet decides to charge but these are average prices to clients. Vets will pay ~€50-100 less than these prices to the crematorium company.

These are the RRPs so it depends if the vet wants to charge a markup or not. Again, sorry Lucyx I hope this isn't too upsetting to discuss prices.

It's an expensive process.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭fatmammycat

Lucy, I'm so sorry to read of about your loss. It's awful when we lose them, it really is.

the mornings are very difficult when i first wake up. I would've been in the habit of getting up and out with Missy so its very strange.

I dropped into the vet today to have a little chat and to tell them I want the tribute box and it was a great comfort. They are very supportive and understanding and honestly its made me feel better today. You know when you're mad about someone and you want to keep talking about them and the vet was saying how strong she was and a great dog.

thanks for the understanding on here too guys. its a great help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

I had my guy individually cremated and his ashes placed behind this picture and frame.

00s7.jpg

Advertisement