Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbour with council house but does not live there!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

wexie wrote: »
    Nobody offered the possibility yet that she's only coming back to the house to tend to her plants?

OMG OP you forgot to add its a cannabis factory too :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,247 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    Those cats won't feed themselves
    I think the suggestion was that she's using the place as a grow house...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would it be possible/feasible with a 2nd address to claim 2 social welfare payments, assuming she's in receipt of one to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Barrel

josip wrote: »
    Would it be possible/feasible with a 2nd address to claim 2 social welfare payments?

If you had two pps numbers, yes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Would it be possible/feasible with a 2nd address to claim 2 social welfare payments?

No, since that would not entitle you to two PPS numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,948 ✭✭✭✭josip

Would her parents lose any benefits if she officially lived with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Jaysus people are really getting very angry at the suggestion something strange is going on.

This is really simple if you think there is a misuse of public funds report it. That simple. If their are no concerns from the powers that be there won't be a problem. If anybody is availing of a council property and not living there they are not entitled to it. It is that simple. If it is only a temporary thing then the council will have no problem .

It is your duty as a citizen to make sure nobody abuses the systems. If you have a problem with that it is your problem.

People can exercise the right to buy a property after a number of years. That is why people pay their rent and it makes financial sense. Pay 10% of the rental value for 5 years buy the property then rent it out for 5 years at 100% market rent then sell. Nice tidy profit at the expense of others in need and the tax payer.

Any rent being paid is based on a means which calculates the running cost of the property. If you aren't living in the property you don't have those expenses and are committing fraud.

So for those saying their is no harm or benefit you now know there are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    It is your duty as a citizen to make sure nobody abuses the systems.

Really? I don't recall signing up for that.

Really? I don't recall signing up for that.

It is not my duty to spy on neighbours and report their presumed activities to social welfare.

If I had a job as an inspector, I'm sure I would notice a difference in my bank balance.

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    It is not my duty to spy on neighbours and report their presumed activities to social welfare.

If I had a job as an inspector, I'm sure I would notice a difference in my bank balance.

There is nothing presumed the person isn't living there.

Whether you choose to be a good citizen or not that is your choice. I wonder if you would report a LL for not paying taxes if you knew they weren't?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Shark wrote: »
    My sister lives next door to a man that has a 3 bed council house. His wife passed away a number of years ago and all the children have grown up and fled the nest. He has now more or less moved in with his daughter and only comes to the house a couple of times a week. He never sleeps there anymore.

BUT he still has to pay his rent and any utilities that come in the door. And another thing...NOBODY CARES! It's his business not anyone else's. It's up to the Council to decide if a house exceeds someones needs or if they are living in it.

Really just leave her at it, she's not doing any harm.
    He should be moved into more suitable accommodation by the council ASAP so that a family can be housed in his former home.
    Would her parents lose any benefits if she officially lived with them?
    Yes they would, and so would she if she is getting fuel allowance and living alone allowance and household benefits.

If you live in a council house it must be your main residence and although you are allowed visit and stay elsewhere for a day or two at a time you should not be sleeping and living day to day in another place.

OP I would report her to the council, just tell them that something strange is going on and it should be investigated. let them take it from there.

Whether you choose to be a good citizen or not that is your choice. I wonder if you would report a LL for not paying taxes if you knew they weren't?

There is plenty presumed, unless the OP is watching the house out of their window 24/7.
    They are presuming they stay at their parents house.
    They are presuming that they only come over to turn on the TV
    They assume that the lights are on a timer.

Unless the OP has let themselves into the house, and/or actually watched the woman all day and night, they are presuming. No facts have been stated.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

I think your presumption that someone isnt a good citizen because they choose not to spy on their neighbor quite offensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

cali_eire wrote: »
    I think your presumption that someone isnt a good citizen because they choose not to spy on their neighbor quite offensive.

that's not altogether correct though is it?
    OP is quite clearly already spying on the neighbour.

Ray is implying she'd be a bad citizen if she wouldn't report the neighbour for allegedly abusing the council housing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Report everything. There's a recession on so I'd be suspicious of anyone who can afford to live in a HOUSE or drive a CAR.

griffdaddy wrote: »
    Report everything. There's a recession on so I'd be suspicious of anyone who can afford to live in a HOUSE or drive a CAR.

A very large part of me is hoping this is sarcasm :D

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

wexie wrote: »
    that's not altogether correct though is it?
    OP is quite clearly already spying on the neighbour.

Ray is implying she'd be a bad citizen if she wouldn't report the neighbour for allegedly abusing the council housing.

Wexie, this Ray dude was responding to post 40 in which that user said "It is not my duty to spy on neighbours and report their presumed activities to social welfare".

A very large part of me is hoping this is sarcasm :D

you wanna have that sarcasm detector looked at SSB....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

It is your duty as a citizen to make sure nobody abuses the systems.
    Im sorry, have we all moved to the DDR or something?

cali_eire wrote: »
    Wexie, this Ray dude was responding to post 40 in which that user said "It is not my duty to spy on neighbours and report their presumed activities to social welfare".

okay, not how I read it but I guess that makes sense as well.

I thought he meant that if you're spying on someone already, and notice they're defrauding the system, then you should do something about it.

Not that we should habitually spy on our neighbours.

• Advertisement

Noticing something is not the same as spying. If you do report somebody your word is not taken their is an investigation.

All things being said the OP has noticed something that is odd involving state owned property and possibly fraud. Report it and they will investigate.

For all those going on about why would you report are you saying you would not report anything? Is there a point you would report something? What is the tipping point for you, assault, rape, murder. I think anybody who goes on about any corruption or shady deals has no right to complain unless they would report things they believe is some form of fraud. If you don't you are absolutely no better than the people who failed to report fraud at any other level.

People like to go on about one set of rules for the rich and another for the poor. I guess this is proof that it is no different everybody should turn a blind eye to their peers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Seems like a win for you, no neighbor. What if you scummy mc scum moving in if you report her and she gets evicted. You'll be ****ed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Noticing something is not the same as spying. If you do report somebody your word is not taken their is an investigation.

All things being said the OP has noticed something that is odd involving state owned property and possibly fraud. Report it and they will investigate.

For all those going on about why would you report are you saying you would not report anything? Is there a point you would report something? What is the tipping point for you, assault, rape, murder. I think anybody who goes on about any corruption or shady deals has no right to complain unless they would report things they believe is some form of fraud. If you don't you are absolutely no better than the people who failed to report fraud at any other level.

People like to go on about one set of rules for the rich and another for the poor. I guess this is proof that it is no different everybody should turn a blind eye to their peers.

If I thought that something genuinely dodgy was going on then Id report here, ie if I thought that she was renting the house out to a third party, or using it to house hookers or a grow house or something. This girl however is doing nothing of the sort. She is clearly living there, paying her bills etc. Okay she chooses to spend the majority of her time with her parents by the sounds of it, but its not really up to you, me or the council to dictate to people where they must spend their time. We have no idea what is going on in her life, and by the sounds of it neither does the OP. They need to mind their own business and stay out of this girls affairs until they have proof that there is something actually worthy of investigation going on.

djimi wrote: »
    If I thought that something genuinely dodgy was going on then Id report here, ie if I thought that she was renting the house out to a third party, or using it to house hookers or a grow house or something. This girl however is doing nothing of the sort. She is clearly living there, paying her bills etc. Okay she chooses to spend the majority of her time with her parents by the sounds of it, but its not really up to you, me or the council to dictate to people where they must spend their time. We have no idea what is going on in her life, and by the sounds of it neither does the OP. They need to mind their own business and stay out of this girls affairs until they have proof that there is something actually worthy of investigation going on.

From what has been said she clearly isn't living there. If you want to speculate otherwise fine but not in evidence.

The OP spotted odd behaviour and should simply report it and let the inspector decide what is going on. It is the councils job to determine if somebody is availing of a service correctly.

The OP is staying out of the persons life they council have every right to inspect correct use of the property. If it is due to a medical issue or personal issue they can decide if that is acceptable by their rules which they dictate on their property.

For one minute believe the person is trying to get possession of the property for financial gain is that something you are opposed to? Would you want to stop it?

From what has been said she clearly isn't living there. If you want to speculate otherwise fine but not in evidence.

The OP spotted odd behaviour and should simply report it and let the inspector decide what is going on. It is the councils job to determine if somebody is availing of a service correctly.

The OP is staying out of the persons life they council have every right to inspect correct use of the property. If it is due to a medical issue or personal issue they can decide if that is acceptable by their rules which they dictate on their property.

For one minute believe the person is trying to get possession of the property for financial gain is that something you are opposed to? Would you want to stop it?

For one minute, assume this woman is innocent until proven guilty and stop taking the OPs side of the story as law when you dont know the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭The_Pretender

Of course you should report her.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Im not the one speculating here. The OP has described nothing that couldnt be explained as someone caring full time for a sick parent for example. Do you think they should lose their house, or even have their affairs invaded, for something like this?

In what way do you think this person is gaining financially from what the OP thinks is going on? Worst case scenario they are paying for a house that they are not using.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

Report her. There are families out there who are living in emergency sheltered accommodation for months on end because they cannot get access to badly needed social housing.

If she deserves the unit then happy days, I am sure she will be able to explain why she is never there.

Absolutely!

For one minute, assume this woman is innocent until proven guilty and stop taking the OPs side of the story as law when you dont know the other one.

I am assuming that an inspector will decide and am fully aware she will not lose anything if she has legitimate rights to the property. So I am assuming she is innocent and reporting her doesn't assume guilt.

So do you want to try and answer the question again rather than asking another question.

The only thing you know is what the OP has said so that is all there is to go on.

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    In what way do you think this person is gaining financially from what the OP thinks is going on? Worst case scenario they are paying for a house that they are not using.

Go back and read the thread it has already been explained. You have not described the worst case scenario and the person could be gaining a couple of hundred grand while doing somebody out of needed housing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement