Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old B+Q building

Options
  • 25-11-2013 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭

Just passing the old B+Q building today thinking how sad it was that its empty. Thinking what could be done with I thought why not open it up for artisan food stalls?

Something like corks english market, just for the saturday and if it takes off then it could go full time. Its a shame to see a building that size idle, a scene all too familliar around waterford and ireland

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

Just passing the old B+Q building today thinking how sad it was that its empty. Thinking what could be done with I thought why not open it up for artisan food stalls?

Something like corks english market, just for the saturday and if it takes off then it could go full time. Its a shame to see a building that size idle, a scene all too familliar around waterford and ireland
    if the landlord was'nt so greddy maybe B+Q may still be there!!!!???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

True, but it wud be nice to have something similar to the english market, just a decent food market with lots of different sellers in it, I don't think we have anything like that here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

True, but it wud be nice to have something similar to the english market, just a decent food market with lots of different sellers in it, I don't think we have anything like that here.
    there will be plenty of that around town for winterval like last year

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

Would make a great Ice Rink plenty of space in there

there will be plenty of that around town for winterval like last year

Thats right. But it would be nice to have a food market all year round, Like Asian French etc etc, If it went full time it could also cater full time for all restaurants round town and the like, fish mongers, butchers etc etc. Like a mix between musgraves and the english market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

English Market type food fayre should only go in the town centre - is there anything much in The Broad Street Centre these days? What about the Cinema on Patricks Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 wolf321

The building doesn't have the zoning for something like the English Market. Now something like IKEA would the best case scenario, but considering the size of IKEA shops they would probably need the entire business park.

wolf321 wrote: »
    The building doesn't have the zoning for something like the English Market. Now something like IKEA would the best case scenario, but considering the size of IKEA shops they would probably need the entire business park.

The thing about it is and nobody picked up on it even me well i forgot, that theres already a type of food market in that business park right down the opposite end but its not really that vast and the building they use is very small, now i havent been in awhile maybe things have picked up a bit hopefully, when i went the thing was suppose to be at say 11 and the people on the stalls werent there til after 2 we heard. Anyway the point is just as a sunday thing or saturday thing on a larger scale and indoors. they seem to have permission to sell food there.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭minibear

The thing about it is and nobody picked up on it even me well i forgot, that theres already a type of food market in that business park right down the opposite end but its not really that vast and the building they use is very small, now i havent been in awhile maybe things have picked up a bit hopefully, when i went the thing was suppose to be at say 11 and the people on the stalls werent there til after 2 we heard. Anyway the point is just as a sunday thing or saturday thing on a larger scale and indoors. they seem to have permission to sell food there.

You're right there is a Market down beside Harvey Norman. It's on facebook and called Butlerstown Farmers Market. The announcement was made yesterday that up until Christmas it will run on both the Saturday and Sunday of every weekend from 10am til 5pm.

I don't know who owns the B&Q building but it is very large and if you had even 50 stalls it would still be virtually empty. Regarding the amount of traders, I suppose it's down to local support. The more support the market gets, the more traders will want to trade there and it keeps growing.. If a trader decides to try out a market and there's not much footfall, well they probably won't bother the next time it's on. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭south

The landlord offered B&Q a year's free rent and they refused!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭south

I think there was talks of maybe homestore and more going in but I haven't heard anything about it in the last few months

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

south wrote: »

Thats B.S.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i think the only place for a english market style market is in city centre. I doubt people would travel to such a market so it needs to be in city centre. If the economy improved and land became valuable again and jobs were around, someone like morriss builder provider im sure would be interested in it, if they could sell their existing place for good money.

Said that above, but Morris is hardly the centre.

mike65 wrote: »
    Said that above, but Morris is hardly the centre.

no, morriss to move to B&Q in future if economy was all good. Yep, a market has to be in centre and covered. They have a great canopy thing in Limerick Millk Market. Similar thing in JR square, Cathedral Sq maybe, no areas jumping up as obvious choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The old sorting office with its entrance on the Quays and Keyser street would be the obvious place for an English type market.

Actually that's a good one. Even handy for parking in the City Square

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The old sorting office with its entrance on the Quays and Keyser street would be the obvious place for an English type market.

Market tried in there over last year and wasnt a success. It needs to be in peoples faces as people wont seek out anything in general, if its in front of their faces they might buy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Max Powers wrote: »
    Market tried in there over last year and wasnt a success. It needs to be in peoples faces as people wont seek out anything in general, if its in front of their faces they might buy.

Location location location Max its still the three main rules about retail...:-)
    Footfall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I used to have a stall in the Market in the old sorting office. To be honest, not a lot of people came to us. There wasn't much of a budget for advertising either however. In my time there the stalls grew in size and variety and there was still never large groups of people coming through.

The busiest day we ever saw was St. Patricks Day, and even then not a lot of money was spent.

I visited the Butlerstown Market on Saturday. The poor vendors were freezing outside, when I asked one of them why they wouldn't move the whole lot inside the empty unit he said even less people would come in then.

These things have to be right in peoples faces and have to have high footfall as people are reluctant to stop and talk if there isn't a group around them, sort of like a herd mentality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Motivator

south wrote: »

Rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭dzilla

would the parnell street shopping unites, where rainbow records used to be be useful for such a venture.... or the rugby club building on parnell street

Peeps theres already food markets in the city centre on sat or sunday. The general premis was that its a shame to see that building empty and what cud go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

call me nostalgic but this old bastard would love to see savagely fast indoor Karting so I could re-live my glory days. B&Q would be perfect :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,571 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What, like the one that already runs on Saturdays (and now Sundays till christmas) in the empty unit the other end of the park next to Harvey Norman?? https://www.facebook.com/ButlerstownMarket

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

I agree with spankmemunkey, it is a shame to see such a building idle when it is suitable for various types of business (ie size an location).

old Gregg your suggestion is the best so far and something Waterford doesn't have!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Was the place that was previously the handmade furniture company on the Quay not turned into an indoor market.

This thread is mainly illustrating just how many quite large empty spaces there are in the City.

What, like the one that already runs on Saturdays (and now Sundays till christmas) in the empty unit the other end of the park next to Harvey Norman?? https://www.facebook.com/ButlerstownMarket

You obviously havent been reading the full thread as i pointed this fact out already as have some other posters.

• Advertisement

old gregg wrote: »
    call me nostalgic but this old bastard would love to see savagely fast indoor Karting so I could re-live my glory days. B&Q would be perfect :D

A pallet trolley would do me fine few pumps jump on the back and scoot away, great fun.

I think there was a go karting place set up just across from six cross roads there, didnt last long at all.

There was a market in the old furniture place on the key, the problem is a food market to attract people needs to be large with many stalls and lots of variety.

Advertisement