Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jerusalem artichoke swap for plants suited to exposed garden

• 25-11-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭

Hello. I have got a great crop of Jerusalem artichoke (Helianthus tuberosus) variety fuseau in Co. Cork and would like to swap roots for any interesting plants for landscaping an exposed garden next year.

The Jerusalem artichoke seems to grow well here in Ireland and the roots are very tasty when roasted and in other recipes. The variety I have growing seems to produce very well here, compared to what I see in speciality vegetable shops. The stems can reach a height of twelve feet before they start to produce roots to survive the winter in the ground. The flowers are nice as it is related to the sunflower, but are only present for a few weeks at the end of the summer. From a fast start in growth about the end of March when planted in numbers they will form dense growth that competes well with weeds and provides a habitat for a wide range of insects and spiders and most noticeably ladybirds. The stems die after the start of frost in the autumn. The roots are said to be good for diabetics' diet as the type of starch in the roots does not cause a sharp increase in blood sugar. The type of starch in the roots is also said to benefit health promoting gut microbes as there is more energy not directly absorbed by the body so it is better to gradualy add them to the diet to avoid excess gas production. I have posted a video about the crop at:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfWXvY7lTqE

Advertisement