Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with a bill to pay with my landlady (responsability)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

wexie wrote: »
    The estate agent got back to OP after an hour and a half!!!! on a SUNDAY MORNING!!!!

Really? Really?

I challenge any of you to ring your estate agent, management company this coming Sunday morning.

Report back here how long it takes for them to get back to you.

So? They should have left the details of their own electricians or plumbers if they wanted to have some favourable rate deal.

D3PO wrote: »
    another uneducated post from you. You really need to educate yourself before you speak.

That mod warning was for you btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

superMarco wrote: »

What would you do in my situation ?

I'd have :

- switched off all the lights
    - unplugged all the devices.
    - reset the RCD switch
    - Plug in devices one by one to see which one trips the RCD.
    - realised it's the washer
    - Ring LL, leave a message : there's something wrong with the washer, will you get someone to come round to have a look at it.

Then I would have gotten back to enjoying my Sunday........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Thomas D wrote: »
    That mod warning was for you btw.

Leave the moderation to the forum mods.

Just to be clear - the mod warnings are for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'd have :

- reset the RCD switch
    - Ring LL, leave a message : there's something wrong with the washer, will you get someone to come round to have a look at it.

And how do you plan on doing all of that without electricity?

• Advertisement

So? They should have left the details of their own electricians or plumbers if they wanted to have some favourable rate deal.

they'd probably have gotten those details if they'd have waited the hour and a half.

Which is an entirely reasonable timeframe on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭superMarco

I asked for it before, but the agent didn't wanted to gave it to us, because he said : "Its not working like that".. Well. I'm ****ed then.

I'd have :

- reset the RCD switch

I wish I could, but to be honest I wasn't there, it was only my girlfriend (so I'm speaking for her). She's 1M60 for 40kg.. The fridge is like 2m high.. and pretty heavy, the washing machine and the dishwasher are appliance inside the kitchen (inside the closet under the counter). So to take it out, you need, tools, and some strong arms (I tried myself and its pretty hard..)

they'd probably have gotten those details if they'd have waited the hour and a half.

Which is an entirely reasonable timeframe on a Sunday.

Ok so say he has serious plumbing emergency at 5am on a Saturday. What should he do then? Those numbers should be provided before and if they are not then it is perfectly acceptable to use a reputable tradesman and deduct the cost from the rent. Point proven. Shut the thread.

djimi wrote: »

huh?

there was electricity?
    Anyway the electrician manage to put the electricity back on, but desactivate the washing machin.

the washing machine tripped the RCD?

it's not rocket surgery

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

djimi wrote: »

with everything unplugged and checking the fuses weren't tripped the electricity would have been working.

then it would have been easy to figure out what was at fault by trying things one by one if you were so inclined to bother doing so.

Its not the tenants job to go figure it out per se but its also unreasonable to call an on call electrician after 90 mins.

people are also forgetting that the landlady has agreed to split the bill, this is more than reasonable given the OP's haphazard approach to the situation.

• Advertisement

huh?

there was electricity?

the washing machine tripped the RCD?

it's not rocket surgery

Not everyone knows this sort of stuff or has the tools and strength to deal with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

another uneducated post from you. You really need to educate yourself before you speak.

Please read the forum charter.
    Specifically- if you disagree with what a poster posts- refute their post, without attacking the poster (or if appropriate- report the post and one of the moderators will deal with it). Snide comments such as your post (above) contribute nothing to a debate or discussion.

Ok so say he has serious plumbing emergency at 5am on a Saturday. What should he do then? Those numbers should be provided before and if they are not then it is perfectly acceptable to use a reputable tradesman and deduct the cost from the rent. Point proven. Shut the thread.

if they had a plumbing "emergency" at 5am switch off the water. and at a reasonable hour 9am ring the LL / agent and report the issue.

If no answer leave a message explaining the issue and the criticality.

If after a reasonable time frame you haven't had a response. and 90 mins is not reasonable try one final time advising that the issue is an emergency and as such if you get no response by insert timeframe that you will be calling a plumber yourself to see to the issue.

common sense really.

you don't go ringing landlords at 5am unless the place is on fire, the roof has fallen in or something else insanely critical

I was asking for advice, I didn't mean to create a war... And I'm sorry if I what I did is that shocking oO

But thanks for your answers..

Not everyone knows this sort of stuff or has the tools and strength to deal with it.

not everybody knows how to flip a tripped fuse ?

What next they should call an electrician to change a bulb and then bill the landlady ......

when you move out of your parents your expected to know a certain level of things. they aren't rocket science, they are things that adults should know.

ignorance isn't an excuse.

if they had a plumbing "emergency" at 5am switch off the water. and at a reasonable hour 9am ring the LL / agent and report the issue.

If no answer leave a message explaining the issue and the criticality.

If after a reasonable time frame you haven't had a response. and 90 mins is not reasonable try one final time advising that the issue is an emergency and as such if you get no response by insert timeframe that you will be calling a plumber yourself to see to the issue.

common sense really.

you don't go ringing landlords at 5am unless the place is on fire, the roof has fallen in or something else insanely critical

I've no idea how to swtich off the water in a house. I doubt many of my renting friends would own a single tool between them.

hmmmm....while not everyone needs to be an electrician, if you're going to live in your own accommodation it probably wouldn't hurt if you understand how a fuse board works.

No tools required and it's hardly a Herculean feat to flick the RCD switch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's what OP should have done, he asked me what I would have done.

However I do think he should have waited longer than 90 minutes and I think the LL is being very accommodating paying half the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Deduct the money from your rent. The PRTB will fully back you on this. The landlord is to blame by being uncontacable.

90 minute response on a sunday morning in not exactly "uncontactable".

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

srsly78 wrote: »
    Is there not circuit breakers? One of the switches will be down, just flip it back up like the others. This is really basic stuff... Exactly the same as in France.

Is there only 1 big fuse on the board? That's the main fuse and it probably not the fault.
    More than likely it was the RCD and needed to be reset

hmmmm....while not everyone needs to be an electrician, if you're going to live in your own accommodation it probably wouldn't hurt if you understand how a fuse board works.

No tools required and it's hardly a Herculean feat to flick the RCD switch.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that's what OP should have done, he asked me what I would have done.

However I do think he should have waited longer than 90 minutes and I think the LL is being very accommodating paying half the bill.

She did try to fix it with the fuse box. But nothing was working..

• Advertisement

I've no idea how to swtich off the water in a house. I doubt many of my renting friends would own a single tool between them.

id concede that not everybody would know how to do this and in that case then I guess it is an emergency depending on the exact nature of the leak.

That said theres a certain attitude with renters that they don't need to know these things like they aren't important. Just because your renting doesn't mean you shouldn't know basic property maintenance things.

changing a fuse, cleaning a washing machine filter, truing off water at the mains.

these are basic things that most / all home owners would know and why do they know them ? Because they make the effort to learn about them as its in their interest to know them.

its also in a tenants interest to know these things not just assume the LL is their on all parent.

She did try to fix it with the fuse box. But nothing was working..

because he/she didn't plug everything out first....

If something trips a fuse more often than not flipping the fuse wont fix it. You have to think logically.

because he/she didn't plug everything out first....

If something trips a fuse more often than not flipping the fuse wont fix it. You have to think logically.

And how do you plug out a washing machine? We'll go through this logically step, by step.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭Grandpa Hassan

Deduct the money from your rent. The PRTB will fully back you on this. The landlord is to blame by being uncontacable.

After 90 minutes? Are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

ted1 wrote: »
    More than likely it was the RCD and needed to be reset

RCD is just a special trip switch right? Usually a red switch seperate from the others?

And how do you plug out a washing machine? We'll go through this logically step, by step.

I don't know about yours, mine it's the plug above the counter left of the sink. The one marked : washing machine.

:rolleyes:

The washing machine is built-in the kitchen.. she couldn't unplugged it by herself, and I'm not sure I could do the same aswell..

em you take the plug out from the wall....

possibly that would mean pulling the machine out from the wall, but often it doesn't.

srsly78 wrote: »
    RCD is just a special trip switch right? Usually a red switch seperate from the others?

It's usually a bit bigger as well.

Would have been simple enough to switch off all the groups, reset the RCD and then add the groups one by one. Wouldn't even have been any need to go near the plugs for the washer, dryer, fridge, spacetimecontinuumthingymajig.

Can all be done from the fuseboard.

• Advertisement

em you take the plug out from the wall....

possibly that would mean pulling the machine out from the wall, but often it doesn't.

Bingo. You walked right into it.
    She's 1M60 for 40kg.. The fridge is like 2m high.. and pretty heavy, the washing machine and the dishwasher are appliance inside the kitchen (inside the closet under the counter). So to take it out, you need, tools, and some strong arms (I tried myself and its pretty hard..)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement