Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you buy a house that someone was Murdered in?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭

This may sound like it belongs in After Hours, but it's a serious question. After a bit of googling on a house I was interested in I found that a man was murdered there in 2008. It is a bit creepy in it's own right but it also makes me worry about the safety of the area. I would have thought it was a safe enough area (if such a thing exists) I know this kind of thing happens anywhere but you also do need to feel comfortable in your own home.
    So.. would you buy a house someone had been murdered in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In terms of safety, it depends very much on the specifics of what happened. A lot of murders happen and it has nothing to do with the area or general safety.

In terms of whether Id live in a house where someone was murdered in; probably not if Im honest. Id find it hard to feel comfortable knowing what happened. Thats just me though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

phi3 wrote: »
    This may sound like it belongs in After Hours, but it's a serious question. After a bit of googling on a house I was interested in I found that a man was murdered there in 2008. It is a bit creepy in it's own right but it also makes me worry about the safety of the area. I would have thought it was a safe enough area (if such a thing exists) I know this kind of thing happens anywhere but you also do need to feel comfortable in your own home.
    So.. would you buy a house someone had been murdered in?

You can be murdered anywhere, and it'll most likely be by someone you know too unless you're a criminal so I wouldn't let that put me off.

If it puts you off, forget it and find another, there are loads of houses out there which will suit you and in which someone has most likely not been murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Probably, if I got it vastly vastly cheaper than it would have been otherwise as there's a damn good chance it'll be unsaleable afterwards.

There is also a possibility that a bank would refuse to lend on it in the first place - I was asked questions about details from the EAs website by the bank so they can use Google as well as anyone else clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

MYOB wrote: »
    Probably, if I got it vastly vastly cheaper than it would have been otherwise as there's a damn good chance it'll be unsaleable afterwards.

There is also a possibility that a bank would refuse to lend on it in the first place - I was asked questions about details from the EAs website by the bank so they can use Google as well as anyone else clearly.

What are you talking about?

It is very unlikely to have any impact on the sale of the property unless it was a particularly sensational murder. If it was a wife who killed their husband after some fight no relationship to the area.

Their was a house on the road I grew up on and that is exactly what happened and made difference to the sale of the house.

Why the bank wouldn't lend on it is a mystery logic to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,628 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Do you believe in ghosts? That's a serious question too by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

I am not sure about here in Ireland but in California where I worked most of my life in property, a murder had an impact on value of a house. Depending on the circumstances, it could have value impacts from 10% - 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RubyXI

NIMAN wrote: »
    Do you believe in ghosts? That's a serious question too by the way.

Kind of but I'm not scared of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

Wouldn't bother me. Humans have been around for approx 1.5 million years. Dozens of people could have been murdered on the site where I live and I wouldn't know anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭ScottStorm

Yes

Wouldn't bother me. Humans have been around for approx 1.5 million years. Dozens of people could have been murdered on the site where I live and I wouldn't know anything about it.

True. This one was in 2008 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Yes, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I believe there is a compulsory disclosure law in the US when selling property where anyone died of un natural causes and as stated earlier, it will alter value of Property significantly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,848 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What are you talking about?

It is very unlikely to have any impact on the sale of the property unless it was a particularly sensational murder. If it was a wife who killed their husband after some fight no relationship to the area.

Their was a house on the road I grew up on and that is exactly what happened and made difference to the sale of the house.

Why the bank wouldn't lend on it is a mystery logic to me.

You are seriously, seriously underestimating the damage to the sale price of a house that having any "bad" history does to it. Murder would be quite high on that scale. A house formerly lived in by a relatively minor criminal will often knock a fair % off the value, if enough potential buyers know or are made aware of it.

Bank doing even the vaguest bit of due diligence in to lending will find out what happened there pretty quickly.

Your attitude here is actually bewildering.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭cali_eire

mickdw wrote: »
    I believe there is a compulsory disclosure law in the US when selling property where anyone died of un natural causes and as stated earlier, it will alter value of Property significantly.
    Yes, in the US a death on property (whether natural causes or something else) is a mandatory disclosure to perspective buyers.

True. This one was in 2008 though.

It really depends on the specifics tbh. The fact of the murder itself wouldn't bother me but perhaps if it reflects the safety of the area, or if the house has been seized from some gangland murderer and sold by CAB it might put me off.

MYOB wrote: »
    You are seriously, seriously underestimating the damage to the sale price of a house that having any "bad" history does to it.

Meh, my childhood family home had some very bad public history and it had no impact on the sale price.

It really depends on the specifics tbh. The fact of the murder itself wouldn't bother me but perhaps if it reflects the safety of the area, or if the house has been seized from some gangland murderer and sold by CAB it might put me off.

Far as I can tell it's an old man who was broken into and murdered. It's unknown whether he knew the person and let him in or whether he tricked his way in.

Far as I can tell it's an old man who was broken into and murdered. It's unknown whether he knew the person and let him in or whether he tricked his way in.

And was the murderer caught?

Don't think that'd bother me too much, change doors, locks etc...highly unlikely lightening would strike twice eh?

And was the murderer caught?

Don't think that'd bother me too much, change doors, locks etc...highly unlikely lightening would strike twice eh?

Ya he got life. The place was last sold in 2010 and totally renovated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Ya he got life. The place was last sold in 2010 and totally renovated.

Was this is cork city? The details sound very familiar.

I'd be sketchy about it but again, it depends on the details. If it's the case I'm thinking of, there was more to it than was published in the media and it changes things a lot, for instance.

• Advertisement

Faith wrote: »
    Was this is cork city? The details sound very familiar.

I'd be sketchy about it but again, it depends on the details. If it's the case I'm thinking of, there was more to it than was published in the media and it changes things a lot, for instance.

Ya it was Cork City. I don't know much about it.

What does life mean in this country? Could he be back out in a few years?

As Faith says, depends on the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

I thought it sounded familiar, As Faith said there were very odd things about that case its like parts of it were covered up or something,
    To answer the question no, not a chance i would live in a house where i knew a murder had taken place,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I would pass it up myself. Plenty of places around without the stains of evil in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

On the positive side they will probably not come back to murder him again !!

For investment I would buy but not to live in myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I just wonder how many people avoiding going in to Jervis Street Shopping centre? I mean it was a hospital so lots of people died in there.

At least 2 people died in my first house. One fell down the stairs and broke his neck. Made no difference to me.

Superstition only seems to count if you know about the history or think about it.

goz83 wrote: »
    I would pass it up myself. Plenty of places around without the stains of evil in them.

See - this only holds if you believe in "evil". I believe in mental illness, brain damage, neurons misfiring, drug abuse etc...

Evil is a religious concept, so it wouldnt bother me in that sense. People die and are killed, raped, beaten, tortured etc all over the place. Tallaght is built on a mass grave - the name even means Plague Burial Place, thousands of Partholonians died there of some plague. Maybe some of them killed each other?

Im sure if you could stand in one spot and go back in history you would see murders going on around you.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I just wonder how many people avoiding going in to Jervis Street Shopping centre? I mean it was a hospital so lots of people died in there.

At least 2 people died in my first house. One fell down the stairs and broke his neck. Made no difference to me.

Superstition only seems to count if you know about the history or think about it.

Ya people have dies in nearly every house in the country. But a brutal murder is slightly different.

See - this only holds if you believe in "evil". I believe in mental illness, brain damage, neurons misfiring, drug abuse etc...

Evil is a religious concept, so it wouldnt bother me in that sense. People die and are killed, raped, beaten, tortured etc all over the place. Tallaght is built on a mass grave - the name even means Plague Burial Place, thousands of Partholonians died there of some plague. Maybe some of them killed each other?

Im sure if you could stand in one spot and go back in history you would see murders going on around you.

I think I'd be less worried about the fact that it was a murder and more worried that this man will get out of prison in a few years time. What if he wanted to come back. Or people connected to either of the men involved. I know it's unlikely but I just wonder whether it's something that may be on my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

would you buy a house someone had been murdered in?

If the location is good (etc.), I doubt that the resale value would be generally be affected for the reason of one murder alone.

That said, if it was suspected that a crazed killer remained at large, it could affect prices in the entire locality. Take the example of Toormore, Schull, County Cork. I have been told that after Sophie Toscan du Plantier was murdered, local property prices were depressed, and I am unsure if they ever fully recovered. I have no hard evidence of this, but that's my understanding.

One would have to bear in mind that there was a lot of negative publicity, nationally and internationally.

Advertisement