Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beginner; Where to start??

• 25-11-2013 6:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi,

I want to learn to ride motorcycles.

I do not own a motorcycle nor have i ever rode one.

What would be the best way for me to go about this? Start getting lessons; buy an old bike and figure it out myself; do some theory and get to know how a bike works first;

Any advice is welcome and really appreciated!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Its pretty straight forward if you wanna do it "right". You need to do a theory test again (yes even if you have done one for the car) when you pass the theory test you must complete IBT training (initial basic training) which will get you on the right path to a long life in biking. Then buy a bike that suits you, hopefully you will get a flavour for a bike during the IBT and you are sorted.

Then meet up with like minded lads who are all learning and go for regular spins to iron out the gremlins and get any questions you have answered. Usually answered by lookbehindyou an IBT instructor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12 paranoid pete

I discovered last week that I have been riding my motorcycle the past year without having the IBT done and whats worse is that the insurance company insured me without asking for certificates.

I started off on my own. I bought my bike on a FRiday and drove to work the next day on a 60km round trip. I wouldn't recommend it though because it is quite dangerous. I'm driving a year now and I can honestly say motorcycling is by far the coolest experience you will ever have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

do go down the IBT route first, before buying anything! you may find that its not for you at all.
    more then likely though if your considering riding you will enjoy it,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Can you use a driving school's bike to do all your IBT modules? I'm thinking about trying it out but don't wanna commit to the expense of buying/running my own bike if I find I don't like it*

*Highly unlikely :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Can you use a driving school's bike to do all your IBT modules? I'm thinking about trying it out but don't wanna commit to the expense of buying/running my own bike if I find I don't like it*

*Highly unlikely :D

What I always tell noobs is to treat is as a challenge. You certainly can complete IBT and get some useful experience on school bikes with school gear without any more commitment than the money. This will give you enough of a taste to decide whether you want to take things further after you get your LP.

A bit of research brought up a school that does a weekend course to get you your IBT in the two days - supplies bikes/gear and everything. Just need to turn up with a permit. Not as expensive as I'd expected either.

The RSA site isn't clear but from what I gather my B license/theory test done in 2011 counts for nothing and I've to do the motorcycle one to get my permit...?

ChallengeAcceptedBlackTextSS.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

The RSA site isn't clear but from what I gather my B license/theory test done in 2011 counts for nothing and I've to do the motorcycle one to get my permit...?

Correctamundo.

AFAIK, if you're over 24, you'll have a choice of whether to go for the A2 license or the A license. Depending on the bikes you wish to drive and how soon you want to be driving them, you'll have to be pretty sure as this will affect the bike you may buy.

If you really want to get on 'proper' bikes before too long, it means going for the A but it means that you'll be under a little more pressure with regard learning on bigger bikes.

I'm only 22, which means I'll have to wait two years anyway before I can get the A licence. A2 is grand for me for the time being considering it's just a bit of a whim.

Just booked the theory test on an impulse. 3 days away - how hard can it be? I'm losing it :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

get you your IBT in the two days - supplies bikes/gear and everything. Just need to turn up with a permit. Not as expensive as I'd expected either.

I got the same from LookBehindYou and haven't looked back :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

Pick up a small scooter 125 or even a 50cc moped on done deal for next to nothing just to find your balance etc. and see what you think, then re-sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I got my IBT with LookBehindYou and I only have good things to say (I was on the bike a while and have done training with others).
    IBT is the place to start (after you get your licence )

Advertisement