Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Think an electric motorbike would be rubbish??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I think I would miss the gurgle of my triple to be honest....dont like the lack of noise!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'm the same I love the noise, but I'd also love 100% torq and €1 fuel ups!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I'm enjoying the gurgle of a combustion engine as long as I can. When I need to buy an alternative fuel bike ill do it but only when I can't buy a petrol one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Responses to this are always interesting. Mostly it comes down to the lack of noise holding people back from saying they look forward to it.

I think this is remarkable. Most seem happy with the range, performance and looks. Cars seem to be years away but bikes like this are ready. They just need people buying them and reputation of reliability.

That price is not surprising. If built by a large manufacturer it should reduce and over time even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Sure they are tearing up the TT on them already...quick as fook for most people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

The battery technology isn't quite there yet.

For each one of them bought I wonder how many will be left on the original battery pack in 10 years time. The cost of the battery makes up a significant part of the price, there is probably 5 to 10,000e worth of batteries in it. Then every year you'll lose a few % of the range and if you're unlucky you'll need a bunch of cells replaced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I'd be more interested if they experimented with the shape of the bike rather then follow the typical design that's based around a engine. I'd also like to see the motor housed in the rear wheel, less power delivery loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Id love one.......

But the noise of my ZX7R with a micron can is to hard to walk away from!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are going to buy one then buy it before the end of this year, E-bikes are currently Zero Vat rated until end of 2013

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Id love one.......

But the noise of my ZX7R with a micron can is to hard to walk away from!

Likewise with the noise of a big bore V-Twin :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I'd still prefer a 60k petrol bike (or 4 at that price)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Zascar wrote: »
    I'm the same I love the noise, but I'd also love 100% torq and €1 fuel ups!

Aye. I too am very much in love with the Gearbox Bagpipes, but the torque curves from electric motors are unreal. Table Mountain job. :cool:

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I bet they could somehow make it make loads of noise that could sound cool in a different way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

I'd be more interested if they experimented with the shape of the bike rather then follow the typical design that's based around a engine. I'd also like to see the motor housed in the rear wheel, less power delivery loss.

You would think so but the hub wheels can be quite inefficient compared to a frame mounted motor with chain or belt drive. They dont spin up fast enough and therefore would draw a lot of current taking off and at low speed. They also make the front wheel more likely to lift off the ground particularly uphill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

An electric bike can sound anyway you like TBH.

Hub mounted motor would handle like a bag of **** ever heard of unsprung weight?

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

I would willing do many unmentionable things to anyone for a Brahmmo Empulse / Mission R etc.

Seriously - I can't wait for the technology to improve and production to ramp-up and prices to drop, because there is nothing more I hate than pulling over to petrol stations and handing out hard earned doh every few days. I spend like 120 on petrol a month. Mission R / Empulse etc can cut it right downt to 30 - 40 euro a month. Nearly €1000 saved a year!! I think it's really crazy that big guns like Honda etc are not on board with electric bikes.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you are going to buy one then buy it before the end of this year, E-bikes are currently Zero Vat rated until end of 2013

Is this not going to continue into 2014 and beyond?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Was going to say 100 miles is shíte, but then realised I'm thinking of getting a petrol bike with the same range!
    Doesn't have a sexy noise from it, but to be honest, almost free fuel compared to petrol and very small maintenance costs I couldn't give a rats ass. Obviously it will take a few years for prices to come down and battery technology to get a bit better. And some real world tests to give real world ranges.

100 mile range on a petrol bike isnt as prohibitive though, as you can get another 100 miles by spending ~5 mins in a petrol station

Wossack wrote: »
    100 mile range on a petrol bike isnt as prohibitive though, as you can get another 100 miles by spending ~5 mins in a petrol station

I think range issue has been blown out of proportion though - for instance I did 40000 miles in last 2.5 years, all in chunks of 30 miles at a time with 8 hours stay at work and 10-12 hours at home. And I think this would be the case for vast majority of commuters, which I would imagine are the vast majority of *regular* bike users. Others can just stay with dino-juice for now.

• Advertisement

RAM charging and/or battery swap coming soon, it'll be quicker to refill the leccy bike than the petrol variety shortly.

coming soon ©

:pac:

coming soon ©

:pac:

So's €2 per litre :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

bladespin wrote: »
    RAM charging and/or battery swap coming soon, it'll be quicker to refill the leccy bike than the petrol variety shortly.

I like doing DIY things on my bike. But I don't think I would enjoy lifting a heavy battery in and out of the bike each morning.

what is RAM charging?

I like doing DIY things on my bike. But I don't think I would enjoy lifting a heavy battery in and out of the bike each morning.

what is RAM charging?

How heavy is a standard in-line 4 compared to a battery?

RAM charging, ultra capacitors = super fast charging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

IMO the humming noise off electric vehicles sounds pretty cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 213 ✭✭KenH

Why would you have to lift the battery out at all....let alone every morning? The battery charges in the bike....which is in the garage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭BeerSteakBirds

I find it funny that the youtube advert advertised funeral services from masseys ... it's not that bad :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

... Cars seem to be years away but bikes like this are ready...

Tesla would disagree with you and so would most people who have driven or reviewed them. The Model S has been voted the best car (including combustion engined cars) available in the $50-100k price range multiple times and is Consumer Reports' top-scoring car ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

An elec. moto won the class of the Pikes Peaks Hillclimb in Colorado recently. In the thin air of high altitude (9k - 14k feet) it had a big advantage.

An elec. bike? Just think - no more messy oil changes, or tuning fuel mixtures, or "what oil" discussions, or worn cam chains and bent valves, leaking exhausts etc etc. (I know, I know - there will new and different service problems )

Advertisement