Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeplugs issue

Options
  • 25-11-2013 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭

Have a strange one....
    My main router a Cisco 3925 , looks after my dhcp and routing on my network.
    My main PC and a nas are connected to this.
    I use a linksys wrt54gl with its dhcp disabled to broadcast WiFi around the house, as the WiFi on the Cisco is terrible.

I wanted to be able to connect my ps3 ,upc horizon box and a media player via Ethernet to the network so borrowed a set of homeplugs from a mate.

I have one connected to the Cisco and the other one is downstairs connected to the Linksys.

Initially every thing worked straight away without any problems.
    Smartphones and ps3 connected no problem.

After a day or so anything Connected to the Linksys just dropped and wouldn't connect.
    Restarted both routers and it worked again.

After an hour or so it dropped again.
    I discovered that anything connected to the Linksys wasn't getting an IP.
    I set a static IP on my phone and it has been connected for 12 hours now without a drop in connection.

The PC and nas are still getting an IP directly connected to the Cisco.
    So for some reason it looks like the homeplugs are killing dhcp requests over the network.

Its not a major deal to set a static IP on all devices but it should just work.

Any one any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭BoB_BoT

Have you the homeplugs connected via a powerstrip/surge protector or directly to the wall socket?

I had issues with homeplugs that would sync, but had issues with data if one of them was on a powerstrip with surge protection. Same thing, they wouldn't get an IP address. Once they were connected to the wall socket, there was no issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Depending on what powerline adapters you use, some come with diagnostic software. You can actually see the quality of the link here, then you can experiment by moving things around etc and get rid of interference that way.

I rearranged mine and now get 300mbps real throughput. Originally I was getting 100mbit and lots of dropping. I doubt your problem is just dhcp, when the connection drops you won't be able to ping at all.

If using them with a double socket (2 plugs side by side) then try with the other socket empty. These powerline adapters really do not like sharing at all!

If you reallly really need the power as well, get a "pass through" one like the Devolo. This means the powerline adapter itself has a socket that you can plug stuff into without interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

I have a similar setup, the Cisco EPC3925 is desperate for Wi-Fi, NAT, Firewall, DHCP and QoS. That Linksys is too good of a router to act as just an AP to the Cisco. I suggest you put the Cisco into "true" bridge mode, connect that to the WAN of the Linksys and use that as your DHCP server. This way, you have a tonne more control + features to work with and you can just assign your IP's locally from MAC address.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Had it set up that way before...gonna reconfigure it all tomorrow.

Advertisement