Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Binned it after hitting oil

• 25-11-2013 7:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

So I came to a T-junction after travelling 100m from my house here in rural East Cork. Between the traffic turning left at the junction ahead of me and the usual scanning up and down the road, I saw the oil slick just as I ran into it.

Jumping off the bike and running home flailing my arms around wasn't an option at that stage so I stuck my left leg out to balance the bike and crawled along feathering the throttle trying to make my right turn. The way I was riding, I could have been on ice. Nevertheless the back wheel spun up and I landed on my right side. It all happened in a split second as it always does.

I've put a hole in my lower fairing and scratched the flippin' heck out of my shiny new paint and graphics on my side fairing. I cracked my indicators again. I tore the crap out of my exhaust link pipe. Scuffed up my jacket. Bent my brake level :/

I think I'm getting used to having accidents at this stage because I had the wherewithal to accept help from passers by, get the bike picked up and rang the guards and even my insurance company.

Anyways. Careful out there, guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Is this your GSX14 ?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

harsh :(

bike is repairable, long as you're ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

So sorry to hear that, really am. Hope the damage is not too bad......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

KTRIC wrote: »
    Is this your GSX14 ?? :(

No, thank fcuk!! It was the Mille.
    kaimera wrote: »

Bump on the knee is all I got had so no biggie. My pristine NCB is about to be given a hammering.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    So sorry to hear that, really am. Hope the damage is not too bad......

It's really not that bad but that doesn't mean it's going to be cheap :/

The worst thing is that I have two pairs of crash mushrooms literally in the post :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Any damage to the body at all? Your body that is not the bikes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Sorry to hear this dude, glad your ok though.

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Sorry to hear this dude, glad your ok though.

Thanks man.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Any damage to the body at all? Your body that is not the bikes...

Just a slightly achey and swollen knee, thankfully. Nothing a bit of casual vague-booking won't take care of :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Glad to hear you are OK Cantdecide... real sh1t about the bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

Geez what an absolute balls :( sorry to hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Something similar happened to me on the Long Mile Road in Dublin this morning - although I didn't see any oil - rear wheel spun up as soon as I touched the throttle, went down pretty hard and bike and I slid up the road and came to a halt right outside Bikeworld :( got some sore ribs and a sprained thumb, but the gear did its job.

Bike has damage to plastics, gear lever and lost all its oil out the left hand side :(

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me on the Long Mile Road in Dublin this morning - although I didn't see any oil - rear wheel spun up as soon as I touched the throttle, went down pretty hard and bike and I slid up the road and came to a halt right outside Bikeworld :( got some sore ribs and a sprained thumb, but the gear did its job.

Bike has damage to plastics, gear lever and lost all its oil out the left hand side :(

What a pain in the hole, man. Did you have the ribs looked at? At least you're well enough to be able to tell us about it....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Jesus lads! Good to hear you both are doing mostly ok after the crashes.

Pain in the hoop with the state of the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I went down 3 weeks ago. Two sprained thumbs. I just drove too fast into a housing estate that had wet leaves. My own fault.

We need to stop this worrying trend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,391 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

cantdecide wrote: »
    Did you have the ribs looked at?

Yeah I got x-rays, just a bit of bruising (right where I keep a bunch of keys in my jacket!) nothing broken. The thumb is a bit swollen but feels a lot better than it did this morning.

The lads in Bikeworld were great, brought me and the bike in, dispensed tea and sympathy and are minding the bike at the moment until I decide what to do.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭HamSambo

Glad to hear yis are OK fellas. It seems to be in the air these last few days. I know another guy who took a slide when a woman pulled out under him just the other day and I got a Top 3 fright of my life yesterday when I hit muck in a bend. The muck wasn't the problem, it was me acting the tool, going too fast. F*ck all sleep last night, been kicking meself up the arse ever since.
    Keep the speed down lads. It only takes one second of bad judgement...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I had three accidents this time 2 years ago. All other peoples fault. I was told by several Gardai in different stations that you're statistically more likely to have an accident in the two months leading to Christmas due to cagers not having their minds on the road.

I've taken to keeping the bike off the road as much as possible in November / December during the week because of it.

Oh and glad you're ok Cantdecide ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

kaimera wrote: »

Spot on, just read kaimeras t-bone thread and you'll be happy it was just the bike.
    Easy to say this cos it's not my bike, but anything you can walk away from isn't all that bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

@ninja, gws buddy :( Mind the thumb, worst case its the scaphoid around the thumb/wrist but hopefully just a sprain.

Advertisement