Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dimmable P.I.R.

Options
  • 25-11-2013 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭

Customer is looking for an occupancy detector in his ensuite that would have a built in timer so that if he went in during the night it would know the time and only turn on the lights to 30%. I said I'm pretty sure no such item exists or not in any cost effective practical sense. Anyone chanced upon any such item or even a practical way to set this up? not optimistic but you never know.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Perhaps the PIR could have a dimmer switch wired downstream of it on the switch wire. The light switch on the other hand would have no dimmer switch downstream of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers 2011, I will suggest that to him alright but he is keen on over engineering and complicating things.

If he's interested in over-complicating the endeavour then it would be possible either with a super-expensive theatrical lighting control console and a signal controlled dimmer or a photosensitive changeover relay controlling either a dimmer or a fixed resistance run from line of sight to natural light.
    Assuming that the lights in the circuits are dimmable in the first place.

Otherwise it'd be high and low output bulbs on either side of the relay.

You could use a timer to engage a parallel resistance on a dimmable circuit but you'd have to adjust for time of year etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭LeBash

If you use a sensor a timeswitch and a dimming relay it can be done.

Pm me and ill try get a diagram over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

Go with 2011's idea it's the easiest and there's less likely to go wrong. Suggest to the client that he puts his engineering efforts to a more constructive use. :D Most engineers strive for a simple and efficient solution. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Mr.Fred wrote: »
    Most engineers strive for a simple and efficient solution. :)

Exactly :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cheers folks yeah I'm gonna talk to him early next week as I need to first fix it, he said he thought he could get something from china but the builder is not going to wait on something that probably doesn't exist to be sent around the world

Advertisement