Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deleting a windows install from a second drive?

• 25-11-2013 8:09pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I just got an SSD and installed windows. I want to use my old drive as my data drive, but it still has windows installed on it. I've tried deleting as many files as I can but there are still loads of files it won't let me delete.
    Any idea how I get around this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Zascar wrote: »
    I just got an SSD and installed windows. I want to use my old drive as my data drive, but it still has windows installed on it. I've tried deleting as many files as I can but there are still loads of files it won't let me delete.
    Any idea how I get around this?
    Download Take Ownership link below, or format the drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/add-take-ownership-to-explorer-right-click-menu-in-vista/

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks a mil!

Is there anything else I should do to my hard drive? Just a defrag etc?

Thanks a mil!

Is there anything else I should do to my hard drive? Just a defrag etc?

No not really as your not using it for the operating system, if you want you can defrag it but I wouldn't.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Ok, how come? What bad would defragging do?

Ok, how come? What bad would defragging do?

Defraging would do nothing bad, do it if you want, analyse it first to see if it needs a defrag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It would improve sorting and loading times from the drive all the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,786 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Would not just format the drive and start fresh? No need to worry about defragging or left-over files then

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

I'd have to move over 1TB of data onto another drive and then back again - cannot be assed.

I'll leave it as is, I'll defrag. I was just wondering if any remnants of an install could do any harm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'd have to move over 1TB of data onto another drive and then back again - cannot be assed.

I'll leave it as is, I'll defrag. I was just wondering if any remnants of an install could do any harm...

Nah not really. Just make sure you dont defrag your new SSD. It would damage it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Defrag doesn't damage SSD's it just ages them a little

The reason you defrag a HDD is because it's spinning rust. The out side track (start of drive) transfers data about twice as fast as the shorter tracks on the inside. And the head takes less time to move to the start track.

With an SSD there is no advantage to defrag as all sectors on the drive have the same access time.

Linux systems defrag files when they are written to the disk, so you don't need to defrag them because it's already done. The interesting thing is if you turn off this feature you get maybe 10-15% speed boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,692 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Linux systems defrag files when they are written to the disk, so you don't need to defrag them because it's already done. The interesting thing is if you turn off this feature you get maybe 10-15% speed boost.
    I would have assumed that was the case. Think about unloading a truck for a retail store, equate that to installing a program or downloading a large program. What is faster: stocking all the pieces off the truck as they come by putting them in their proper place, or dragging the goods off the truck in hand trucks or pallets and then worrying about it after the goods have been received? Same theories apply since you're talking about a physical storage process. I still remember something of databases before I dropped out :p

Advertisement