Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting a rented apartment?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭

Would it be worth my while painting the apartment that i'm currently renting? I moved into the apartment in August and signed a 1 year lease i'm happy here and would like to stay for a further year once this year is up. The people who live next door have decorated theres by the look of it.

Obviously it'll be up to the landlord but would it be worth my while? All feedback would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

if your ll agrees and it makes you feel more comfortable in your home then yes go for it. many lls wont allow it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

As in to make it more homely?
    You could with the permission of the landlord, but if you decide to pick striking colours, the landlord could ask you to repaint it back to a more neutral colour (ie as you found it) when you leave.

Speak to your landlord about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭James__10

As in to make it more homely?
    You could with the permission of the landlord, but if you decide to pick striking colours, the landlord could ask you to repaint it back to a more neutral colour (ie as you found it) when you leave.

Speak to your landlord about this.

Aye, the colours are quite neutral in the apartment so i'd be looking to just give it a lick of new paint as the current paint is peeling and alot of stains

James__10 wrote: »
    Aye, the colours are quite neutral in the apartment so i'd be looking to just give it a lick of new paint as the current paint is peeling and alot of stains

Just have a chat with the landlord tell him your preference to stay put longterm etc. He may be quite happy to allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Just have a chat with the landlord tell him your preference to stay put longterm etc. He may be quite happy to allow it.

Speaking to the landlord is the way to go.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

Just tell your landlord. Say you'll do it for free but take the cost of the paint off the rent. Fair deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Thomas D wrote: »
    Just tell your landlord. Say you'll do it for free but take the cost of the paint off the rent. Fair deal.

Then you can't deduct it as an expense.

If my Tenant ask, I'd tell them to go ahead. But any paint and carpets , floors etc would come out of deposit. Of they did a good job I'd leave them off. I wouldn't offer tokay for it. It's there choice, what happens when they want to tile the bathroom or change the kitchen.

Do not do this.
    Speak to your landlord first, you cannot withhold rent without the landlords permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You cannot do this. beggars belief.

D3PO wrote: »
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

You cannot do this. beggars belief.

I'm warning the two of you now - do not start a tit for tat on this thread like you have on others in the last few days.

Keep it on topic and civil or refrain from posting.

Morri

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Thomas D

I'm warning the two of you now - do not start a tit for tat on this thread like you have on others in the last few days.

Keep it on topic and civil or refrain from posting.

Morri

Morro, its always him that starts it. He's following me around in every thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

It's a different ball-game when your year is up and are moving out, the LL will keep your deposit if you don't paint the apartment :)

Advertisement