Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PC powers off unexpectedly. Won't boot until CMOS is cleared.

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭

So yeah, as it says in the title. This problem began, I think, when I was messing with the fan profile settings in MSI Afterburner. I had accidentally set it so when temps on the GPU hit 60 or so, the fan suddenly ratcheted up to 90 percent. When that happened, I got a no signal on the monitor, although the computer didn't power off randomly. That began happening after the next restart, at different intervals and at idle or under load, it didn't seem to matter.

After a few clear CMOS restarts and a burnt mobo battery, I had it taken to someone else to inspect it. Their diagnosis was that the GPU had somehow gotten overvolted and was causing the mobo to shutdown to protect itself. Fair enough, since removing the GPU and using the onboard graphics, the system seemed to run fine, albeit without the capability it was built for - running games.
    Fast forward three weeks of the system running fine up 'til tonight where it again powered off, on a night where I'd just taken delivery of a new GPU and PSU no less!

System ran perfect for a good 20 months or so before all this.

From reading other threads on similar problems, it seems like any component in a computer, including the case (standoff short circuit) can problems like this so do you troubleshoot it?

All I can do for now is try getting all the mobo settings back to default as much as possible and see if installation of the GPU and PSU helps.

Anyone have insight? Anyone care to reply, even? :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I'd check to see if there's updated firmware for your BIOS, and if there is flash to latest version to see if this helps

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 13,930 ✭✭✭✭briany

uch wrote: »
    I'd check to see if there's updated firmware for your BIOS, and if there is flash to latest version to see if this helps

Thanks for the suggestion, it's on my list of things to try. Right now I'm seeing what happens if I just let it sit in the bios menu. Coming up on 3 hours running without a hitch (touch wood). If I let it boot into Windows 7, it would be lucky to stay on an hour and sometimes doesn't even make it past the loading screen.

Had the computer on, sitting in the BIOS for a good 6 hours. Didn't switch off. It's an issue that seems only to be triggered in the Windows environment. Huh....

Update to this, I installed a new PSU (Corsair CX 750M) on Saturday and the problem hasn't recurred since. It would seem that the old PSU (OCZ ZT 650) was dying.

Advertisement