Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a moderator not a moderator?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I have a question for you.

In all innocence, I took to task a posting made by a Boards.ie moderator on the grounds that the response made to an OP was not relevant to the original query and showed to me at least that the poster had either not understood the query or had made a solution based upon an incorrect premise.
    It then transpired that the moderator is not a moderator for that particular Forum and was posting in an ordinary ( registered user) capacity.

I am not particularly familiar with this site, but was surprised to note that a posting by moderator is granted the Title " moderator" regardless of their interest or expertise in a category that may not be aligned to their undoubted ability in their chosen designated field.

I was advised to use this Feedback facility rather than continue what were considered to be postings that may have led to unspecified actions against me and am glad to oblige.

My question is this; should the term Moderator be limited to Forums that have been assigned to the contributor, or should they be permitted to use this appellation on all Forums in Boards?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,312 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Mods are marked as mods by user group, and not according to the forum they're posting. It's not really optional, they're either in the group or not.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A moderator is only responsible for the forums they moderate. In all other forums they are regular posters just like you, and are subject to the same rules of the forum as you are. And just like you they can be infracted or banned from the forum if they break the forum rules. We do not have the technical capabilities to remove titles from moderators when they are posting in forums they don't moderate. However the forums they moderate are clearly displayed under their name if you're using the desktop version of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Zaph wrote: »
    A moderator is only responsible for the forums they moderate. In all other forums they are regular posters just like you, and are subject to the same rules of the forum as you are. And just like you they can be infracted or banned from the forum if they break the forum rules. We do not have the technical capabilities to remove titles from moderators when they are posting in forums they don't moderate. However the forums they moderate are clearly displayed under their name if you're using the desktop version of the site.

Very compressive response, thank you , my only difficulty is that I use a phone!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

doublej wrote: »
    Very compressive response, thank you , my only difficulty is that I use a phone!

You can click on the "Full site" link at the bottom of the screen if you want more detail. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭doublej

Brilliant, thank you SO much!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just to add...
    I am not particularly familiar with this site, but was surprised to note that a posting by moderator is granted the Title " moderator" regardless of their interest or expertise in a category that may not be aligned to their undoubted ability in their chosen designated field.
    Moderators aren't necessarily experts whose view in their forum should be given more weight. A moderator's primarily responsibility is housekeeping, and keeping the peace within a forum. Obviously an interest in the subject is required but any expertise on top of that is a bonus. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

When is a moderator not a moderator?

I suppose when you take a moderator to task (in private message) for their decisions and ask them why aren't they impartial in their moderation of a forum and they respond - and I quote verbatim - "What on earth makes you think I need to be impartial? How naive."

You could make a complaint, but moderators tend to support each other. So, you just note the powertrip and the general arsehole nature of such a comment and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

From someone who has 1 site ban, 30 forum bans, 35 infractions and 14 warnings, it's hard to take your comment seriously.

I think this thread has run its course.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement