Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rossmore Road, Ballyfermot

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36

hi guys,
    have been looking at a place on rossmore road to move into,
    not much idea of the area, any advice/help would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

Without wishing to generalise too much, Ballyfermot is well known as a dangerous area and to be avoided. I don't know Rossmore road so won't comment specifically but when it comes to buying property, Ballyfermot is not an area I would consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I have a house there and only rent it out to locals. BallyFermont is a pretty closed shop and if your not from the area you' not settle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Hysterical ^^^

I've been renting in that area for 3 years and no way am I a local with my bogger accent

Ballyfermot is a large area and there is no comparison between the Inchicore end and the Cherry Orchard end. If the OP wanted to buy in Cherry Orchard for sure that is dodge but the other side is very settled and has a elderly population.

Rossmore is next door to the Garda station, the welfare office and multiple youth & unemployed training centres. Lots of coming & going during the day so check out your parking.

You also have the finest takeaway on your doorstep, West Lake! :d
    The library is open and fantastic so it is and also the leisure center, both 5 minute walk from you. Disadvantaged areas get money pumped into them and they often have better facilities then surrounding areas.

There is a fine Aldi on Kylemore Rd, a Lidl 10 minute walk from Rossmore. Avoid Tesco, the filthiest Tesco in Ireland and the management should all be fired.

Locals only? Lol, not at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

It seems like a nice road, facing onto the green/parkland. Some parts of Ballyfermot have a reputation for being 'rough'. But Ballyfermot is a big place, and by no means should all of it, and everyone, be considered bad. Id rather live in Ballyfermot than most, if not a substantial portion, of the greater dublin commuter towns. Im in 'the Barn' - which has a terrible reputation and the largest social housing complex in the country - but really, I have never had a problem. Its great here. But as for Ballyfermot:

Pro's
    - A good mix of people. Lots of elderly, young and middled aged.
    - Within the M50 & close to town and Liffey Valley.
    - Lots of local amenities - Swimming pool, shops, schools, community centres.
    - Affordable homes with, from what I have seen, large back gardens.
    - Houses are a good size for the price.
    - The River Liffey, War Memorial Garden and the Phoenix park are very close by.
    - I suspect a great community

Cons
    - A bad reputation, quite possibly due to the overall class composition (Mostly working class, with underclass elements - but where dosnt?)
    - Quantities of social housing, which some may perceive as negative.
    - Parts with bad planning (CherryOrchard) - lots of open fields and housing typical of the 60's and 70's. (But most of Ballyfermot predates these)
    - Suburban drearyness - a lack of character.

Overall - Id say that if the house is affordable for you, and that you are comfortable living in an area with a high working class composition, then you should consider it. Drive around at night and see what its like, research the areas to avoid. (that particular area, looking at street view, looks like an older part of Ballyfermot - which is good).

Long term I would say an area such as Ballyfermot will increase in relative value and a slow change to the class composition may take place. It is central, and there will, in my opinion, be a migration back to the city of many of those who bought in commuter towns and beyond. This would increase the desirability of Ballyfermot as a destination due to its centrality and present low cost housing (incl rents).

• Registered Users Posts: 23,532 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Hysterical ^^^

I've been renting in that area for 3 years and no way am I a local with my bogger accent

Ballyfermot is a large area and there is no comparison between the Inchicore end and the Cherry Orchard end. If the OP wanted to buy in Cherry Orchard for sure that is dodge but the other side is very settled and has a elderly population.

Rossmore is next door to the Garda station, the welfare office and multiple youth & unemployed training centres. Lots of coming & going during the day so check out your parking.

You also have the finest takeaway on your doorstep, West Lake! :d
    The library is open and fantastic so it is and also the leisure center, both 5 minute walk from you. Disadvantaged areas get money pumped into them and they often have better facilities then surrounding areas.

There is a fine Aldi on Kylemore Rd, a Lidl 10 minute walk from Rossmore. Avoid Tesco, the filthiest Tesco in Ireland and the management should all be fired.

Locals only? Lol, not at all.
    We'll have to agree to differ my house is fairly close to the Tesco in the village. It was broken into 4 times by the junkies living next door.

I worked in the swimming pool before it was done up and it was surrounded by junkies and Alcoa.

Any tenant we have had from outside the area doesn't stay long. Locals stay for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Valentine1

ted1 wrote: »
    We'll have to agree to differ my house is fairly close to the Tesco in the village. It was broken into 4 times by the junkies living next door.

I worked in the swimming pool before it was done up and it was surrounded by junkies and Alcoa.

Any tenant we have had from outside the area doesn't stay long. Locals stay for years.

+1

I've not been up that way for a good while but I'd consider most of it to be somewhere I'd only go if I had essential business. There might be swimming pools and the like there now but if there is anti social behaviour going on in the area you wont want to use the services. I wouldn't be spending much time in the pubs or take aways either, found them to be very sketchy the couple of times I was in them. Rossmore road itself might be ok but you still have to live in Ballyfermot and someday find someone else to buy the house when you decide to sell.

Incidentally I wouldn't be in a rush to buy in Inchicore either.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Serious question; have you found car or house insurance to be in any way higher, due to the bad reputation?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 pb2

thanks everyone, have been up around the area a few times now and it does seem to be a settled part and is an older house. thanks for all the feedback regarding the area, its been a great help.
    After weighing up the pros and cons it looks like we will go for it. With so much on the doorstep and still close to work and all it seems like a good fit.

Advertisement