Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Smithfield Square?

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I'm going to view an apartment/room in Smithfield Square on the weekend, and I wanted to get people's thoughts on the area as a place to live. I'm a 26 year old "professional" male working near Pearse Street.

I've only been to the area two or three times, and each time I've thought it's quite a cool area, seems quite arty and hipsterish. But alongside that there seems to be local heads hanging around drinking cans in the Square during the day, and a handful of junkies to boot.

I'd be interested in the arty side of things, and I find the idea of living in the city quite alluring (I'm from Tallaght, rented in Terenure for a year; snore!). But at the same time I've felt a bit uncomfortable when I've been there (during the day!).

What's it like for safety walking home at 6 or 7pm during the week, and say 3am on the weekends?

I've read previous threads about this, and the complaints seem to be about (a) the scrotes, (b) the noise, and (c) the horse fair!

I thought I'd start a new thread and see if things are better/worse in the last year! :D

Nice wan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I was there on a Saturday last month for a medical appointment, early afternoon. In the short time it took me to walk from the car to the clinic and back I saw a large group of adult junkies loitering in front of the shops, with dirty bags strewn and some liquid spilled around - lager, urine?... And in a passage to the back further two guys were camping, one urinating against the wall. Plus a group or two of kids running around screaming, no other harm done.

But the cafes are nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

I'd live there in a heartbeat. Lighthouse cinema, easy walk to Stoneybatter for L Mulligans, easy to the city centre, oxmanstown and Brother Hubbard on your doorstep for some of the best coffee in the city, Seven Social, Wuff, Block T literally underneath you, Cobblestones etc. etc. etc. I've walked through Smithfield square all times of the day & night on my way to and from places and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe but I'm also not remotely bothered by seeing junkies or winos.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I have been living here for close to 4 years and never felt unsafe. As in most parts of Dublin there may be some drunks around but they always seem to keep to themselves. The horse fair is now only twice a year and very well policed. The last year the square started to live up more with the pub, Italian restaurant and the cinema.

I have visited friends in many other modern apartments across the city and very few (I would dare to say none) have the same quality as the Smithfield Market complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Lived not too far from there for a while. It's quite a cliche but once you keep your wits about you you should be fine. The positives well outweigh the negatives in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Quite a safe area (lived there for 5-6 years)

Never had any hassle (we once, but never came to much)

The apartments at Smithfield Market are safe but can be noisy with parties. good security though.

Great place to live though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The drunks that hang around the square are harmless, after a couple of weeks you won't even notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I worked in Abbey Street/O Connell Street for years - never an issue, even at night. In fact was on nodding terms with junkies in Clerys yesterday.

My mate has a new baby and lives in Smithfield and walks the baby round in the middle of the night to get to sleep - never had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 craftbeer2014

Hi all,
    Was trying to get a feel for Smithfield square and the general area myself recently, possibly to move into the area. Does anyone know what the place is like on the weekends, business-wise? That new coffee/beer spot seems kool, and the hostel/restaurant/bar on other side seems busy enough. Any feedback? Do people hang out there on weekends or does town still rule the roost? What about Mulligans as someone mentioned above, do they get a good local crowd?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Mulligans isn't a great place to drink for locals, it's not the kinda place you sit in for an extended period. But there's loads of bars around like dice bar, Walshes and Frank Ryan's. They all do craft beers and are better pubs. I would be more inclined to hang out in Stoneybatter than Smithfield but sure they are only a stones throw from each other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Rubat

I'd live there in a heartbeat. Lighthouse cinema, easy walk to Stoneybatter for L Mulligans, easy to the city centre, oxmanstown and Brother Hubbard on your doorstep for some of the best coffee in the city, Seven Social, Wuff, Block T literally underneath you, Cobblestones etc. etc. etc. I've walked through Smithfield square all times of the day & night on my way to and from places and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe but I'm also not remotely bothered by seeing junkies or winos.

It's well for some, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Rubat wrote: »
    It's well for some, isn't it?

Hmm?

Advertisement