Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Owner occupiers rights

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi just rented a double room
    The guy gave me a months deposit and three weeks rent in advance
    He said he will only stay until mid Dec ie a month but I think he might want to leave before this week is out I was charging him €70 pw inclusive of bills
    Do I tell him that he has to finish out the week before I return his deposit Can I do that ? What are my rights Also His gear was in the house last week and I did all his stale washing can I ask for a laundry contribution ? Any advice gratefully accepted

M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Why did you do his washing?

As you live in the house he is not a tenant, he is a 'guest' i.e it's a licencee agreement and normal tenant law does not apply. You can ask him to leave with no notice and he can leave with no notice as well. There are pluses and minuses to this as you can see.

You'll get better advice on the Accommodation forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maysay

Thanks Meathlass
    I'm learning by my mistakes
    He paid a month in adv In Fairness and a deposit
    I have returned his deposit
    He said he would stay out the month at the weekend
    Now he says he will move tomorrow
    Do I charge him for a full week this week or part and return next weeks rent

I did the washing because I didn't know he wouldn't stay the month and I also didn't want foul laundry in the house
    I could have thrown the black bags in the shed but that's not me

Thanks for reply

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

You should make a contract with rules about deposits and minimum stay, just so things are clear from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Maysay

Thanks Chris

Ye was a bit hasty
    Ta for advise

Advertisement