Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! need software that monitors latency and packetloss - a constant graph

Options
  • 25-11-2013 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi

used to play counterstrike and some others which would run a great little "netgraph" down the bottom showing constantly fluctuations in ping/packetloss and so on

Have been searching but haven't found a program that does it in windows 7 (I can't load counterstrike etc on this machine)

Can anyone suggest some software? it's to measure changes in the movement of an antenna to get best possible signal for possible future gaming

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

Stingerbar wrote: »
    Hi

used to play counterstrike and some others which would run a great little "netgraph" down the bottom showing constantly fluctuations in ping/packetloss and so on

Have been searching but haven't found a program that does it in windows 7 (I can't load counterstrike etc on this machine)

Can anyone suggest some software? it's to measure changes in the movement of an antenna to get best possible signal for possible future gaming

thanks

use an ethernet cable or home plugs ... wifi latency is too high for counterstrike... it also causes rubberbanding which will get ya booted off cs servers in no time cos it ruins the game for others,

here is a link on how to check for packet loss in win 7
    http://www.techfleece.com/2011/03/10/how-to-check-for-packet-loss-between-your-router-and-computer-connection/

for a more in depth look try this

http://www.paessler.com/router_packet_loss

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

use an ethernet cable or home plugs ... wifi latency is too high for counterstrike... it also causes rubberbanding which will get ya booted off cs servers in no time cos it ruins the game for others,

here is a link on how to check for packet loss in win 7
    http://www.techfleece.com/2011/03/10/how-to-check-for-packet-loss-between-your-router-and-computer-connection/

for a more in depth look try this

http://www.paessler.com/router_packet_loss

I play on my laptop which is connected to my bog standard wireless router and its fine.

Wifi does increase latency but not enough to prevent you from playing any online games..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

http://www.hammer-software.com/metaping.shtml

maybe ?

go with the ethernet cable though if at all possible

• Registered Users Posts: 83,302 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

InSSIDer is a great program for anyone to check wifi strength with, and if you're a serious nerd with money even includes a lot of functionality that you can access only after you've bought a bunch of expensive wifi snooping hardware. But for the layman, the 802.11 sensoring is pretty decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Overheal wrote: »
    InSSIDer is a great program for anyone to check wifi strength with, and if you're a serious nerd with money even includes a lot of functionality that you can access only after you've bought a bunch of expensive wifi snooping hardware. But for the layman, the 802.11 sensoring is pretty decent.

Strength does not equate to quality. Two adjacent full strength networks on the same channel equals little or no connectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I play on my laptop which is connected to my bog standard wireless router and its fine.

Wifi does increase latency but not enough to prevent you from playing any online games..

The problem is there will be spikes whenever anyone else is using the wifi. Use a cable or homeplugs instead, so much better.

Also consider setting up a QoS router if there are many users sharing connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

thanks for replies

its for broadband modem only, 3g thing, not mine

Games were played with a solid 70 ping before

Its in a new location and we are testing pings as they are all over the place so thats why we need a ping/latency/netgraph thing as we test different methods and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

3g is even worse.... Not recommended for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

pingplotter is the best one

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stingerbar wrote: »
    thanks for replies

its for broadband modem only, 3g thing, not mine

Games were played with a solid 70 ping before

Its in a new location and we are testing pings as they are all over the place so thats why we need a ping/latency/netgraph thing as we test different methods and so on

3G is not broadband. Its also worse then a 56k modem for gaming 99% of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement