Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

20" 58cc chainsaw cheap as chips

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭iverjohnston

Or while you are on ebay.co.uk, search for Husqvarna 61 or Stihl 260?

Get a good one of either saw, and it will last many years, not days. better value in my opinion, as once you have a powerful saw, its hard to do without.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭vinnie13

Thanks for reply,
    I was thinking about a bigger stihl just not a husky fan but to buy a stihl you have to actually go into the shop and buy they won't post even within UK.way to expensive here.

I get what your saying I have a ms170 that's worth it's weight in gold I just can't justify a stihl for the amount of work I need to do with it.
    About 90e for the cheap one and if I get 2days it will have paid it's self.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Anywhere near east Cork?

Muckleys in Midleton will rent 365 husky saws.

I've no idea how they get insurance but as of last spring they were still

ford2600 wrote: »
    Anywhere near east Cork?

Muckleys in Midleton will rent 365 husky saws.

I've no idea how they get insurance but as of last spring they were still

Unfortunately not about 4hrs away.handy to know didn't think they would get insurance for it either

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

They may require you have your cs30/31 for the insurance part. Though a used Stihl or Husky isn't cheap, you will get nearly all your money back if you look after it and decide to sell it later. How big are the trees and where are you located?

• Advertisement

Reindeer wrote: »
    They may require you have your cs30/31 for the insurance part. Though a used Stihl or Husky isn't cheap, you will get nearly all your money back if you look after it and decide to sell it later. How big are the trees and where are you located?

That would make sense needing the ticket..
    They are about 16in across roughly 30-40ft high probably about 10-15 trees..up here in wicklow not far from the town.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭kay 9

The little 170 with a good sharpening will take 16" trees down handy enough. Save your money and get some fuel and maybe a new chain ;) what type of trees are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭The Glass Key

First neutral feedback reads Very cheap quality. wouldnt recommend - 20" Petrol Chainsaw Complete With Bar, Chain & Bar Cover

Then further down A bit temptemental and plastic is a bit flimsey but am happy for the price - 20" Petrol Chainsaw Complete With Bar, Chain & Bar Cover

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 145 ✭✭bigblackmug

I'd spend the money on a brand new 16" bar and chain, round file and good quality saw oil. You'll still have the bar and chain afterward and if need be you can cut the chain down to suit your shorter bar afterward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

You get what you pay for. If you want to spend half the day trying to start it then that is what you get for that price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

If they are conifers, you can do that with the 170, some patience, and a good chain. Hardwoods would be a bit of an ask, especially maple or beech. Sharpen your chain often. That saw in the advert isn't gonna help you much, to be honest. I dunno if I'll be in Wicklow this weekend. I was just over in Rathdrum Monday. But, I doubt that helped ya much, ;)

Seriously, though. What I have found is if you build it, they will come. If you get a decent saw, then saw work will come your way. You'll get more firewood, etc. Go about the local small engine repair shops and dealers and ask them if they have a 50cc saw used that they've serviced for sale. I know it's christmas and all, and you got to save your duckets, but that saw you showed us is only gonna cause you suffering. And to top it off, it won't be safe to use, either. We're trying to look after you, mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

What Reindeer said plus proper felling techniques and a felling bar.

A quality felling bar would be a much better spend; tool for life and safer more controlled felling

I was talking to a chainsaw/forestry equipment supplier and in a 12 month period 3 of his tree surgeon customer had been killed at work.

Dropping trees is dangerous work. Be very careful

ok chaps here is the end result

got this
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Deko-22-chainsaw-/161105428304

and a new chain for my 170 ;)

ok so the saw arrived topped it up and gave it a test and well......
    the 170 was better ;)
    the cheap saw was heavy and hard on fuel but didnt seem to do a better job dropped a pine and put the two of them side by side to test,the build quality was actualy ok,started ok ran good,couldnt find anything to really say it was a piece off poo but just my ms170 had a nicer feel.

basically i put it up for sale but for anyone that wants a cheap saw and hasnt a big budjet this would do the job but if you can streach to even a ms170 it will save in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Boaty

Op have you tried Wicklowhire in Wicklow town?

edit: didn't realise this is 3 weeks old:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

I’ve a few big lumps to cut but my 170 is a bit small. What are these like for the occasional bigger tree

https://www.google.ie/search?q=proplus+chainsaw&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-ie&client=safari

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Chinese copy of the Zenoah/Komatsu G500 AVS.
    Probably a reasonable occasional saw but not the same as the original Japanese made version.
    I have the Japanese version and its a good saw, I have had one issue with the plastic cover over the oil pump giving problems but after a bit of attention its running well again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭memorystick

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Probably a reasonable occasional saw but not the same as the original Japanese made version.
    I have the Japanese version and its a good saw, I have had one issue with the plastic cover over the oil pump giving problems but after a bit of attention its running well again.

I’d only be using it for the bigger bits. The Stihl is a lovely saw for whitethorn and fencing. All fairly light stuff I’m cutting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

Sorry to jump into this thread but its the only place I can find mention of Zenoah. Does anyone know of a supplier of these or someone who repairs them. My father in laws GZ4000 was ran on pure petrol and now needs attention

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Sorry to jump into this thread but its the only place I can find mention of Zenoah. Does anyone know of a supplier of these or someone who repairs them. My father in laws GZ4000 was ran on pure petrol and now needs attention

I'd try aliexpress for a new cylinder and piston for that saw. Wouldn't be a huge job to put them in if you're handy with a spanner. If it was yourself that put straight petrol in I hope relationships aren't too strained.:(

link https://www.google.com/search?q=zenoah+gz4000+piston+aliexpress&lr=lang_en&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE751IE751&tbs=lr:lang_1en&sxsrf=ALeKk036HNZMVD9ivE82O8qe-AnVvCW-ig:1603570082498&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj22o6JhM7sAhWTr3EKHZlhD2IQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1280&bih=657

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you know how badly the cylinder is damaged?
    If its just smeared piston then it is possible to use acid to remove the aluminium from the nikasil but if the damage is more severe then you are probably best off looking at a new cylinder and piston kit.
    Zenoah were bought by Husqvarna to obtain their Stratocharging technology some years ago.
    In the US they are still sold as Redmax and many US outlets carry parts for them.
    The GZ seems to be sold as a Ryobi 40cc RY10532 as well which might help in searching for parts.

There is an Ebay seller Dandrikop in Greece who has a lot of aftermarket kits available, good quality aftermarket stuff like Caber and Meteor and he may have a kit for the saw.
    Try contacting him for parts.

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I'd try aliexpress for a new cylinder and piston for that saw. Wouldn't be a huge job to put them in if you're handy with a spanner. If it was yourself that put straight petrol in I hope relationships aren't too strained.:(

link https://www.google.com/search?q=zenoah+gz4000+piston+aliexpress&lr=lang_en&rlz=1C1GGRV_enIE751IE751&tbs=lr:lang_1en&sxsrf=ALeKk036HNZMVD9ivE82O8qe-AnVvCW-ig:1603570082498&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj22o6JhM7sAhWTr3EKHZlhD2IQ_AUoAXoECAsQAw&biw=1280&bih=657

50/50 on the "going to be trouble tonight" front - it was my brother in law that ran it on petrol (really, it was!) but it ran to get their job finished - he was working with his father. They dropped the saw to me and when I used it I felt the engine starting to seize up so although I didn't do the damage I was using it when the damage was found -- if that makes any sense at all?

I never thought of ali express thank you

Do you know how badly the cylinder is damaged?
    If its just smeared piston then it is possible to use acid to remove the aluminium from the nikasil but if the damage is more severe then you are probably best off looking at a new cylinder and piston kit.
    Zenoah were bought by Husqvarna to obtain their Stratocharging technology some years ago.
    In the US they are still sold as Redmax and many US outlets carry parts for them.
    The GZ seems to be sold as a Ryobi 40cc RY10532 as well which might help in searching for parts.

There is an Ebay seller Dandrikop in Greece who has a lot of aftermarket kits available, good quality aftermarket stuff like Caber and Meteor and he may have a kit for the saw.
    Try contacting him for parts.

brilliant, thank you!

Edit, I found him on EBay. If the F-i-law gives me the go-ahead I'll strip it and see if I can fix it. It's a good machine and doesn't deserve to be scrapped

Advertisement