Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Wanted] Pet friendly property Cork

Options
  • 25-11-2013 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭

Having an absolute nightmare trying to find a landlord that will allow a dog in Cork.

Every landlord we have tried we have explained that our dog is mature, non shed, excellent temperament (Bichon Frise) but to no avail.

I really cannot understand the issue with keeping a small house dog, I do not fear that our dog will cause any damage but even so the damage deposit of 900-1000 euro per month would easily cover most damage a small dog could possibly cause!

Sorry to vent but it is incredibly frustrating and a very difficult situation to be in, parting with a dog is never an option!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

You dont fear that your dog will cause damage because you know your dog; dont forget the landlord is not in this position. A dog that likes to scratch wooden floors, chew furniture, dig up the garden etc would work through that deposit fairly quickly, and this is what they fear.

Two things that might help would be to get a reference from a former landlord to say that the dog is well mannered and wont cause damage etc, and also to perhaps offer a larger deposit. Its not going to be easy, but by offering solutions like this you are at least showing that you are prepared to take responsibility for the dogs actions, which might allay some of the fears of the landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

djimi wrote: »
    You dont fear that your dog will cause damage because you know your dog; dont forget the landlord is not in this position. A dog that likes to scratch wooden floors, chew furniture, dig up the garden etc would work through that deposit fairly quickly, and this is what they fear.

Two things that might help would be to get a reference from a former landlord to say that the dog is well mannered and wont cause damage etc, and also to perhaps offer a larger deposit. Its not going to be easy, but by offering solutions like this you are at least showing that you are prepared to take responsibility for the dogs actions, which might allay some of the fears of the landlord.

Oh I absolute understand their position. I have always offered references from current landlord and vet records. I have also been up front about having a dog right from the very start but I usually find that having a dog is a conversation ender. Any landlord I have spoken to has been totally unwilling to even discuss it. It's a landlords market right now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

in The U.S when we rented they charged an extra deposit amount if you had a pet (cat or dog) so at least the landlord has some comeback if property is damaged by the pet

Advertisement