Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alpe D'Huez Triathlon

Options
  • 25-11-2013 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Anyone doing this or has maybe done it in the past? I am looking at it at the minute. Just worried about the cost adding up due to travel expenses etc What is the best way to get to Alpe D'Huez from Belfast or maybe Dublin.

http://www.alpetriathlon.com/en

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

From memory I guess you have 3 airports to chose Grenoble from dublin ( usually cheapest) than geneva ( which might be the only flight from belfast) and Lyon ( often the most expensive )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

I've flown in to Northern Italy, Turin I think, when going skiing in that region. We flew with Flybe out of Belfast. Cheap as chips at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gickna1

Did it a few years back, flew into Geneva and rented a car, stayed in a chalet near the swim start. I went with a group so costs weren't as bad. It's a great race :-) had crap weather the year I did it but would definitely do it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Jim Stynes

How hard was it then? Tell me what I'm in for!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 gickna1

Apologies for the delayed response,
    Your in for a hard day but a very rewarding one.
    Swim-it was cold about 13 deg if I remember right. Crazy start as per usual, two laps, transition is split so separate bag for run, (you put your swim gear in a marked bag which you collect after the race)
    Bike-(drive the course if possible) the year I did it was cold and wet, first part of the bike is fast and the first climb is a good steady climb, was freezing at the top though (got really cold) decent was fun, but there is a small climb before the second main climb, which is more like a long drag of a climb cracking decent then you hit the Alpe D'Huez a don't think I need to say anything about that one.
    Run- was a 3 lap with a mix of uphills downhills off road and on road, plus it's at altitude- a very hard run. Well stocked aid stations i think there were 3 per lap so loads of opportunity to refuel.

It's an amazing race would love to go back and do it properly ie Race it I loved it especially the bike course. Was one of my bucket list races but I will return some day.
    Pack for all conditions, bring a rain cape on the bike just in case (the next year was held during a heat wave).

• Advertisement
Advertisement