Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Stomping Land (PC)

Options
  • 26-11-2013 12:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭

Kickstarter project The Stomping Land sees you playing as a prehistoric tribesman trying to survive in a dinosaur-ruled landscape. So yeah, completely accurate.

It already achieved it's funding goals earlier this year, but has now cropped up on Steam Greenlight. Besides the obvious appeal of the dinos, the game itself sounds promising - as a lone survivor you'll be pretty weak starting out. But you can learn new skills such as building traps, and gather resources to improve your chances of surviving.

However, it's when you team up with others (co-op multi-player) that your odds of success drastically increase. Larger tribes can establish camps and find it much easier to bring down bigger dinosaurs (assuming ye work as a team). There will be rival tribes trying to stop you becoming the dominant tribe on your island.

Peter Molyneux had a hugely similar game called BC in the works for the original XBox, but it was canned. But if you remember any of the press releases for that, you should have a good idea of what they're trying to do here. It's hugely ambitious given the tiny team working on it, but I reckon it's one to keep an eye on at least. Anyway, here's a few vids.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Can this be merged with the 'kickstarter' thread on the frontpage for new kickstarter games they think worthy of note

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

SeantheMan wrote: »
    Can this be merged with the 'kickstarter' thread on the frontpage for new kickstarter games they think worthy of note

Not a good idea. I don't want to read though pages and pages just to see if a new game is mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Given the Greenlight go-ahead on Steam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

First look at the Carnotaurus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

It looks interesting... bit gray tho, could use a splash of color.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Looks good but im not gonna part with my cash just yet, but will be keeping an eye on it as it progresses. Agree 100% with what Magill said, really needs a splash of colour. Set during a Triassic/Jurassic period it should be vibrant as ****

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Hopefully it's not full or trolls just killing their mates before/after kills etc... (like DayZ and similar games)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

so there should hopefully be early access/beta this month.

whose gona be playing?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

The early access for this came out last Friday along with the Forest but it seems to of been overlooked by many. I had my first proper go last night & had some good craic.

It's multiplayer so I got to meet up with my mates. While building our camp we keep getting attacked by a Carnotaurus. One of the lads later tried to capture one. Here's my first video on it if anyone is thinking of checking it out. Enjoy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Yeti Beast

Had been following this too, but it dropped off my radar. Thanks for the reminder!

• Advertisement

My Second video on the game, we go on an adventure to capture a Carnotaurus with hilarious results:

• Registered Users Posts: 82,756 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I backed this so I got the key a couple weeks ago. put it in today.

Its still in a really, really early phase of development. I played for about 2 hours, it was fun but I was left a little underwhelmed this early. I like the Star Navigation, but how to use it?! lol, would take practice. The menus/recipes/lists aren't really there yet, and when you die you dont spawn at your hut like advertised you just respawn in place, and dead dinos near you appear alive (but are actually dead). And the basic lack of an ability to jump (or obvious ability to do so) is kinda diminishing.

It's a promising game but I will wait until there is more content. Definitely whet my appetite for a craft-survival game to play again for the summer.

That menu was only put in today for a future patch to take use of. The crafting/menus etc come up when you press 'E' on a container or object. If you build a TeePee you will get the option of spawning back in to it when you die. Not sure why weren't getting it, I died lots tonight & got it every time. To jump just right click :)

Had a decent session of it again tonight with a mate. We made our camp & found a guy near us. Not sure what the pvp situation is yet we planned to kill him. But he turned out to be nice so we made food together.

We later got bored & decided to bola his legs together & drag him around & then put him in a cage. Was absolutely hilarious. We did let him out eventually :P

I'll have a video of it out over the weekend at some point

• Registered Users Posts: 82,756 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

right click is the oddest place for jump ever

and whenever i selected respawn at teepee I would just respawn where i died instead

also you can die infinite number of times in water and you will just instantly respawn - death doesnt work correctly while swimming.

Here's the video of us capturing a dude & throwing him in a cage. We found it very funny. Enjoy!

Advertisement