Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connection drops same time every night

• 26-11-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭

I have a P-660HN-T1A_IPv6 router at home, with Eircom Broadband and at 11:23pm every single night the network connection drops for wired and wireless connections. (happens then at 10:23 and 00:23 when the clocks change).

Does anyone know if this could be the DHCP lease expiring? I'd think not because I don't know a single other person this happens to, I've updated to the latest firmware, still the same problem..

I've had a look on Google, plenty of posts in other forums but no answer as to why or how to fix it. One thread mentioned that replacing the router solved the problem but I'd rather know what it is causing it.. Also I should mention this happens to every device connected to the router when it happens..

EDIT: The connection drops at 11:23 and is back at 11:25 every time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭LukeS_

I've had a similar type problem (but mine drops at around 9am and comes back at around 8pm) but I got a new router today off Eircom and it seems to be working fine ever since. Even when the internet was fine on the old router the internet would go down every 10-15 mins, but the new one hasn't knocked off once in the 7 hours or so it's been on.

You're now the third person I've seen with this problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Iano_128

LukeS_ wrote: »
    I've had a similar type problem (but mine drops at around 9am and comes back at around 8pm) but I got a new router today off Eircom and it seems to be working fine ever since. Even when the internet was fine on the old router the internet would go down every 10-15 mins, but the new one hasn't knocked off once in the 7 hours or so it's been on.

You're now the third person I've seen with this problem.

That's one thing I have noticed on other Forums, I seem to be really lucky in the fact that it only goes for 2 minutes, other posters I've seen have the same issue as yourself, it drops for 8-9 hours every time. It's been going on as long as I can remember and I've tried on and off to fix it but it's only the last couple days it's been really bugging me wanting to know why.. Did Eircom charge you for the router? Mine's a good 3-4 years old so don't think I've much chance of them replacing it for free..

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

This used to happen to me at 11:25pm when I was with Eircom, the connection would drop from roughly 0.8 of a mb to 0.17. We replaced the router and that did nothing had the line fixed, same result. We noticed that it happened when the cold weather started. As far as I can remember the Eircom tech said that something must be wired onto your line like an alarm system or something similar.

I dont think Eircom even know what causes this problem. Are you far from the city OP? If you can its best switch to another provider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

Have you a monitored house alarm or anything that may be dialling out at the same time every day? sky box maybe? Its easy to miss something like this with the adsl filters. Check an itemised phone bill for that time to see

tim3000 wrote: »
    This used to happen to me at 11:25pm when I was with Eircom, the connection would drop from roughly 0.8 of a mb to 0.17. We replaced the router and that did nothing had the line fixed, same result. We noticed that it happened when the cold weather started. As far as I can remember the Eircom tech said that something must be wired onto your line like an alarm system or something similar.

I dont think Eircom even know what causes this problem. Are you far from the city OP? If you can its best switch to another provider.

We do have an alarm wired on to the system funny enough!! Wonder if that is the problem, why it does it? Strange one! And to be honest I'd love to leave, but I wouldn't leave unless it was to UPC for the speed, I get 4mb maximum with Eircom and the efibre was supposed to be available in my area in March this year, just checked it tonight and it's now Jul-Dec 2014.. Keeps getting moved back, UPC also not available for me whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind but I'm in the heart of Clondalkin.. Very built up area, close to the city and can't get fibre off anyone!

• Advertisement

Iano_128 wrote: »
    We do have an alarm wired on to the system funny enough!! Wonder if that is the problem, why it does it? Strange one! And to be honest I'd love to leave, but I wouldn't leave unless it was to UPC for the speed, I get 4mb maximum with Eircom and the efibre was supposed to be available in my area in March this year, just checked it tonight and it's now Jul-Dec 2014.. Keeps getting moved back, UPC also not available for me whatsoever.

I wouldn't mind but I'm in the heart of Clondalkin.. Very built up area, close to the city and can't get fibre off anyone!

The tech that was in charge of fixing our problem came up with the idea of an alarm system, but we didn't have one at the time. It might be worth your while tinkering with your alarm system and seeing of that makes any difference. I wouldn't get my hopes up though.

Its a pity you cant get better bb connection, Eircom don't know their arse from their elbows when it comes to these kind of problems.

When I had this problem it would last for a good while usually the duration of Winter then suddenly it would stop happening.

Out of curiosity what does the speed drop to?

I'll have a look at the phone bill, and also check the settings to see if the alarm is set to dial out every night, Sky Box isn't connected so the only thing we could be missing is the alarm.. And yeah it's a major shame, really don't understand how such a built up area is being pushed back so much by Eircom and totally ignored by UPC!

And sorry maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough, when I said the connection drops I meant it totally goes dead, we totally lose any internet connection.. Should have been more specific there!

I'll have a look at the phone bill, and also check the settings to see if the alarm is set to dial out every night, Sky Box isn't connected so the only thing we could be missing is the alarm.. And yeah it's a major shame, really don't understand how such a built up area is being pushed back so much by Eircom and totally ignored by UPC!

And sorry maybe I didn't explain it clearly enough, when I said the connection drops I meant it totally goes dead, we totally lose any internet connection.. Should have been more specific there!

I thought you were just getting low speeds not actually losing connection completely. You should get onto Eircom and demand some form of refund or something like that. Thats even worse than what was going on with mine!!

I might actually call their complaints dept tomorrow.. I've tried calling tech support about this before but this issue isn't in their script so when I tell them it's been ongoing for the past couple of years I get "Have you rebooted the modem?; Is it connected to the main phone line?; Have you splitters on your phones?" When I answer yes to those 3 questions they get very confused and I just want off the phone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 847 ✭✭✭Bog Standard User

i live in phibsborough and i cant get upc or efibre either

• Advertisement

i live in phibsborough and i cant get upc or efibre either

Absolute joke isn't it! Don't understand it at all how massive areas like Clondalkin & Phibsoboro can just be overlooked or pushed to the side.

I suppose Eircom hardly need to care too much when we can't get UPC. Not as if they need to worry we'll leave them for better speeds with UPC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

It's probably caused by PPPoE which typically reconnects every 24 hours.

It's probably caused by PPPoE which typically reconnects every 24 hours.

Is it possible to change the time that happens at?

I've an option to change it, and have the following options:
    PPPoE
    PPPoA
    IPoE
    RFC1483

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭Some_Person

I think it would have to be changed at ISP side but if you power cycle the router at 5am or something it should keep reconnecting at 5am (every 24 hours).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The PPPoE tunnel shouldnt release unless needed. On a good connection it can stay alive for more than a week. BT used to force a re-sync every night at 11 though, you wouldnt have been with them previously?

TBH it sounds like a modem fault though. Seems like a certain time code is freaking it. That or a device on the lan is trying to dial its own PPPoE connection temporarily knocking the normal connection.

Make sure you're up to date:
    http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/firmware/P-660HN-T1A_IPv6/

And if you are reset. If it does it the next night after that then get onto support and request a new modem(you'll get a newer better D1000).

Advertisement