Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to cook pork chops

Options
  • 26-11-2013 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I have some pork chops in the freezer and plan to use them for tomorrow's dinner. Does anyone have any great recipes? I dont really like them just fried, but I'm wary of doing them in the oven because any time I had them as a child they were baked for hours until they were like shoe leather. Anything I can do with apples to help them stay juicy? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭brick tamland

I know you said no to frying them , but this is how I like to cook them. I get a non stick pan and lash it on high heat to get it very hot. Get pork chops and place them fat side down on the pan (No oil needed) for about 90sec/2 minutes cook the fat down. If its a big layer of fat I might score it. Then I'd cook them for 2-3 mins a side depending on thickness, seasoning pork in the pan. Leave to rest for a few mins and serve. Pork chop should still be moist, and the fat with be cooked down and crispy. Careful not to overcook the chops now, nothing worse than an overcooked chop

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I've been meaning to try slow cooking pork chops for a while. I've a recipe on my computer but I'm at work now. I can post it later, or you could easily find one on Google.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭HemmingSay

For those that do like fried - I often cover one side with coarse sea salt then place salt side up in a medium-hot pan. Brown it off, flip and cook out for a while. Scrape off salt layer and serve coloured side up. Once it's on the plate, squeeze half a lemon over it.

Simple, quick and delicious. Usually have it with a pesto gnocchi, it's makes a really good mid-week dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elfy4eva

Just grill them, they take <15 minutes to cook depending on the thickness and once defrosted .

They wont be as dry and leathery as oven baked in my experience. (as long as they're not overcooked!) As for apples, our yank neighbours traditionally eat pork chops with apple sauce that might be an idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Griddle pan ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Again with the pan fried but a friend makes this for dinner a lot when we visit and it is delicious, cider, mustard & cream oh my

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭TeletextPear

Thanks for all the suggestions, the cider one will be first on my list I think, looks great!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,042 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I used to love chops done in the oven in breadcrumbs as a kid.
    They were floured, egged and bread crumbed, browned in a pan and then baked in the oven for about an hour. They came out soft but not dry.
    I've never done them like this myself by my memory of them is great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I love this recipe http://www.bigoven.com/recipe/166161/pork-chops-tender-oven-baked

I add sage to the seasoned flour and thicken the juices at the end to use as gravy

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

They were floured, egged and bread crumbed, browned in a pan and then baked in the oven for about an hour. They came out soft but not dry.
    I used to get pork steak done the same way, it would be cut along the length and unrolled, like a swiss roll. It would have been in the oven for 30mins I reckon. I do it myself now but just fry it all the way.

I never liked chops, probably as they were always overdone, too many warnings about dangers of undercooked pork on already overcautious mammies.

But even cooking myself I could never see any reason to get chops when I could get pork steak for around the same price, I just see it as a far superior cut.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

My Dad recently cooked me pork chops, he put them in a frying pan with onion, garlic, chopped apple and cream. Absolutely yummy and I am not at all a pork chop fan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

Again with the pan fried but a friend makes this for dinner a lot when we visit and it is delicious, cider, mustard & cream oh my

So doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭April O Neill II

So doing this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Baked.noodle

Crushed cornflakes with egg to make it stick. Then grill. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭trashcan

Love pork but find it a bugger to cook properly. The only way I can do it successfully is like this. Bash the meat out thinly, cover in flour egg and breadcrumb (must be in that order) and shallow fry. Only takes 3-4 minutes and the pork is lovely and tender. I'll cut up a pork steak and do it this way, or remove the fat from a chop and do the same. Yummy.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Whistlejacket

A handy way to check if a pork chop is done in the middle is to stick the tip of a knife or metal skewer in the centre of it. Hold it there for a count to 7 and then gently touch it off your top lip (it won't burn you!). If the metal is hot the pork is cooked all the way through. If it's only warm it needs a bit longer. You can also gently press on the chop surface beside the hole you made and have a look at the juices that come out. They will be clear when the centre is cooked. If they're pink tinged it needs longer.

I found this to be a good way to avoid the leathery and dry over-cooked chops but still be sure that the meat was fully cooked. It works for all meat, not just pork, but obviously if you were cooking beef and wanted it medium you would take it out of the oven when the skewer tip is still only warm, or cool for rare beef.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Or just get a meat thermometer. Bought one from tiger for 2-3 euros.

A good way to cook a chop is to score it and put it in a bag with olive oil and crushed garlic and chopped up herbs like parsley, basil etc. leave for a few hours and cook under the grill.

Advertisement