Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

starting point regarding modern traits from ancestors

Options
  • 26-11-2013 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭

Hi
    Apologies if this has been asked before but I have looked and can not really find what I am looking for.

here goes

This is my first time in really looking into Anthropology, Sociology & Culture related issues here so my terminology is probably all wrong.

Can anyone recommend a book , website, threads with any information around modern traits in humans that can be traced back to primeval or cave man or stone age ancestors or prehistoric ancestors in general. here is what I mean, say for example trait x in humans can be traced back to stone age mans need for <whatever>

Hope this makes sense. the backround is that I have been reading some Carl Sagan recently and he mentions some human traits that can be traced back to our prehistoric ancestors and I would like to read up on this area

thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

myhorse wrote: »
    Hi
    Apologies if this has been asked before but I have looked and can not really find what I am looking for.

here goes

This is my first time in really looking into Anthropology, Sociology & Culture related issues here so my terminology is probably all wrong.

Can anyone recommend a book , website, threads with any information around modern traits in humans that can be traced back to primeval or cave man or stone age ancestors or prehistoric ancestors in general. here is what I mean, say for example trait x in humans can be traced back to stone age mans need for <whatever>

Hope this makes sense. the backround is that I have been reading some Carl Sagan recently and he mentions some human traits that can be traced back to our prehistoric ancestors and I would like to read up on this area

thanks

Depends what you mean by trait. We know quite a lot about the morphology of our forebears and increasingly we know a lot about their genetics but there is a lot of gaps especially relating to behaviour etc. Typically the trend has been to fill the gaps by finding these traits in animals so we extrapolate they also existed in our ancient forebears eg hunting, tool use and food sharing in chimpanzee. There is a lot of literature on this. Is that what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭myhorse

robp wrote: »
    Depends what you mean by trait. We know quite a lot about the morphology of our forebears and increasingly we know a lot about their genetics but there is a lot of gaps especially relating to behaviour etc. Typically the trend has been to fill the gaps by finding these traits in animals so we extrapolate they also existed in our ancient forebears eg hunting, tool use and food sharing in chimpanzee. There is a lot of literature on this. Is that what you mean?

Hi Robp,
    It would be more behavioural.
    Struggling to think of a good example. Fight or flight would be kind of around the area I am thinking of but not quite.
    Say for example if looking at a picture at night of a cave and a camp fire glowing inside the cave. It would give the viewer a sense of security and safety. It could be related back to when caves offered shelter and protection from the elements and a fire warmth and security. I know a bad example but maybe some one can pick up on what I am trying (and failing) to convey?

edit -
    Actually this maybe a better way of trying to explain. We probably all have had that moment when a smell or sound takes us back to when we were young and brings up memories. Taking it a stage further we must have some senses or reactions or even actions, as a species, that are a result of our ancestors. Hope that is a better expanation

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dublinviking

Our life experiences are stored in epigenetic switches. This information is passed down to our children. This is how racial memory is created. Different long term cultures actually produce genetically different people.

Example: the felling of where our personal space starts. In north Europe it is as far as possible. You go to doctor's waiting room in Ireland and watch people choosing seats. It is always as far as possible from everyone else so you don't have to talk. In south of Europe it is as close to other people as possible so you can talk. Have a look at greetings. In South of Europe people hug, kiss multiple times, tap each other...In North of Europe they extend their arms as far as possible and shake hands....

This feeling is passed to us as cultural related instinct through epigenetics. How did it develop in the first place i have no idea....

I touched on this here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=87604177&postcount=214

Passing of knowledge through genes as well as language....

Advertisement