Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How flexible is too flexible?

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,
    Need a bit of advice on how to react to a childminding situation.:confused:
    Sorry in advance for the long winded post...
    I childmind a little 1yr old in my home. When I first started I agreed to be flexible with the mum as her husband doesn't work everyday and he doesn't know what days he works in advance. So this means I might get 1weeks notice that I'm working or I might be told the day before. I have always facilitated the parents even though some weeks I might have no work and other weeks could be full. I only get paid the days I work. I usually am quite happy with that situation even though I can't plan anything incase I get asked to work on them days. (have turned down to help at a pre school twice to make sure I was available for the parents if needed).
    However, the mum told me I have the little one all this week (mon-fri) and then arrived in today(tuesday) to tell me that she is taking Thurs and Friday off work to go shopping so I won't be needed. I didn't say anything at the time because it was unexpected but after thinking about it I'm feeling quite angry. I always honour her wishes and never let her down and would expect the same from her. I have turned down plans/work constantly for this job?
    Is my reaction justified and what do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Nummy wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Need a bit of advice on how to react to a childminding situation.:confused:
    Sorry in advance for the long winded post...
    I childmind a little 1yr old in my home. When I first started I agreed to be flexible with the mum as her husband doesn't work everyday and he doesn't know what days he works in advance. So this means I might get 1weeks notice that I'm working or I might be told the day before. I have always facilitated the parents even though some weeks I might have no work and other weeks could be full. I only get paid the days I work. I usually am quite happy with that situation even though I can't plan anything incase I get asked to work on them days. (have turned down to help at a pre school twice to make sure I was available for the parents if needed).
    However, the mum told me I work have the little one all this week (mon-fri) and then arrived in today(tuesday) to tell me that she is taking Thurs and Friday off work to go shopping so I won't be needed. I didn't say anything at the time because it was unexpected but after thinking about it I'm feeling quite angry. I always honour her wishes and never let her down and would expect the same from her. I have turned down plans/work constantly for this job?
    Is my reaction justified and what do you suggest I do?

Thanks in advance :)

Talk to them and set a minimum period of notification for changes in working days. Explain that you are turning down other work because they have told you that they need you on x days only for them to change their minds.
    Flexibility is one thing, but taking advantage of someone is another.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I think you need to sit down and draw up a more formal agreement. You have bills to pay too and this is a job. The norm among parents I know who use childminders is to pay when the parents don't send the child (be it illness, holidays or days off) and not to pay when the minder isn't available (usually summer/Christmas holidays). That's what I do with mine. If the parents were using a creche they'd pay regardless of whether the child is sent in, and would have to give notice of leaving. A day's notice isn't acceptable. For example, I'm not sending my child a day next week, the minder was told this last Friday. She needs to be able to plan her care for the other children too, I don't think its fair to give less than a week's notice of non attendance, and at the very least a token amount should be paid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think you need to formalise your arrangement.
    I would set down a minimum amount of days a week that they pay you whether they need you or not and if they tell you you are need on x day and less then a week before they change that then they should pay you.
    Your insurance and prsi are the same whether you have him or not and your costs need to be covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nummy

Thanks for the advice everybody.
    You're all right.
    I'm just sorry we didn't discuss what 'flexible' meant right from the start, but lesson learnt. :o
    I think to move forward I should try make an arrangement with the parents, that each Friday I get a list of days I'm needed the following week. That way if they cancel a day I still get paid.
    Fingers crossed it suits the parents because I love my job...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I had a long winded post written and deleted it by mistake but here I go again!

I'm a shift worker and I also have a one year old. Due to my hours being different every week she's in the crèche full time but not actually there full time maybe 12 days a month. I pay full time whether she is there or not. We are moving soon and hoping to get a minder. The minder will get my work schedule a month in advance and WILL be paid for the days agreed whether she works them or not. That is only fair! Tell your employers that you require more stability both financially and for the benefit of your family. They are treating you shabbily although they may not have realised themselves, they may be off the belief that this flexibility suits you also.

Ps you're not in dublin 24 by any chance??? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Nummy

Piper101, that is a fair way to treat your minder. Not in Dublin 24 unfortunately :(, could have been a match made in heaven! :D
    Good luck finding a minder.

Advertisement