Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it possible to know if second hand tickets are legit.

Options
  • 26-11-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭

Hi,

In general is there any way of knowing that tickets brought second had are legitimate? I am trying to source tickets for a concert next year in Croke Park which is officially sold out. There are any number of sites (ebay gumtree adverts etc) which are offering tickets (at inflated prices naturally :)). The price isn't my main concern but rather how can I be certain (is it possible ? ) that tickets I buy are legit ? Is there any sort of 'officially sanctioned' second hand marketplace, or some other way of knowing? It just seems that with modern printing technology and the kind of markups available on second hand tickets that there must be plenty of people out there with the means and incentive to make near-perfect counterfits.

Thanks,

Usjes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I'd try http://www.toutless.com first. Not officially sanctioned, but tends to be a genuine community of people who despise touts.

As a last resort, you could try http://www.viagogo.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I got a printed out e-ticket sent to me from the UK once, I was wary of getting it. I was able to ring ticketmaster and at least get them to confirm there were at least no other enquiries or "blackmarks" against the reference code on the ticket. This does not seem to be normal practise and was like getting blood from a stone to get any info from them.

E-tickets can be sold in mulitples of course. The other scam is people buying legit tickets, selling them on, then days before the event they say they never got them in the post, the one you bought is detected at the door via barcode and you are refused entry. The scammer will get new tickets sent to them or collect them at the box office. This only allows them to scam 1 ticket.

Some gigs which are expected to sell out will often have tickets held back to be sold in the upcoming days to the gig, to combat touting. The likes of U2.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

rubadub wrote: »
    Some gigs which are expected to sell out will often have tickets held back to be sold in the upcoming days to the gig, to combat touting. The likes of U2.

Last I heard re: touting (i.e Dispatches) the music industry had no interest in combating touting...I'd be surprised if this was the reason they 'held back' tickets. I'd say it's more to create desperation by being able to say it's 'Sold Out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

Ticketmaster has their own resale website called getmein. I'm not entirely sure if many people use it though but it is the only one that will give a guarantee (which is why they are reluctant to help others out by verifying tickets). It allows people to charge way over face value though.

I run the aforementioned Toutless and while I appreciate the good words above regards the trustworthiness of the community this is only if you take note of our rules and recommendations (which I'd acknowledge there are many).

The very quick version (which applies to all other sites you mentioned) is avoid sending money remotely via payment systems like paypal or even direct bank transfers. We've had some issues in the past and the vast majority was from people blindly sending money to people on the Internet. NONE of these methods will provide you with guarantees (people seem to think Paypal does but I can't find much evidence this is the case by default outside of Ebay). We strongly suggest meeting people for the exchange in person (in a safe & public place) and verifying who they are. It makes things a lot easier if there are problems.

If at all possible wait until closer to the event as a concert in Croke Park will almost always have quite a few cancellations. Also I'm guessing this is One Direction. AVOID any websites on the Internet that appear legit with One Direction in the url etc. These are common occurrences for "parent pressure heavy" events. They're almost always scams and never official. Ticketmaster will be the only official sales point.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Usjes

AdMMM wrote: »
    I'd try http://www.toutless.com first. Not officially sanctioned, but tends to be a genuine community of people who despise touts.

As a last resort, you could try http://www.viagogo.ie.

I've looked into viagogo and they seem to be one of the more trustworthy sites but it is crazy that even with them you still aren't guaranteed legit. tickets. It seems that their 'guarantee' will at best translate into you being re-funded if the tickets turn out to be fake. But that's no use for a disappointed 13year old especially as they are travelling from overseas for the concert.

It seems the only real solution would be for the organizers to sell tickets to a named person and you would be required to bring ID. The ticket is a contract rather than a phyisical product so they can effectively put whatever conditions they like on it. I guess for fairness they should have to insert a clause agreeing to buy them back at face value within a reasonable timeframe (1 week to the event) and after that if you miss it it's your own tough luck (just like booking a holiday and then falling sick). So it seems like there are solutions here but the organizers just dont have any interest in implementing them. Maybe some sort of Consumer Watchdog should impose some regulations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I'd be surprised if this was the reason they 'held back' tickets. I'd say it's more to create desperation by being able to say it's 'Sold Out'.
    Its the reason they give for holding back, whether true or not is another thing alright. I am highly cynical of the whole thing. The resale facility is just them getting their cut from the touts, like these bands with expensive "fan clubs" you must join to get first tickets. I think I saw that documentary too, I think someone was stung on one of these guaranteed sites, some of which are really just 3rd party sellers.
    Toast wrote: »
    We strongly suggest meeting people for the exchange in person (in a safe & public place) and verifying who they are. It makes things a lot easier if there are problems.
    this was about all ireland tickets
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/scam-warning-fans-buying-allireland-tickets-urged-to-meet-seller-at-garda-station-29595064.html
    "Be cautious when buying anything online. If they have any suspicions at all, people should contact their local garda station and it will be fully investigated. And if they find they have been the victim of fraud they should immediately contact the gardai.

"We recommend buyers and sellers to meet in a public place like outside their local garda station," he said.

Now while meeting outside a garda station far from any guarantee it would probably have a scam artist a bit worried.

Often sellers will be going to the gig themselves. I have sold tickets a few times where 1 friend has pulled out, I always offer to meet up outside the gig and go in with the buyer to confirm it is legit and that they will definitely get in. I have had bouncers scan tickets for people and then they handed over the money to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

from someone who works at gigs at the frontline dealing with tickets, i would say never by second hand, happens an awful lot getting cancelled or fakes. and you have no recourse whatsoever. its a major risk. and all the reselling sites are guilty of being the middleman

Advertisement