Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hostels in Glebe, Sydney

Options
  • 26-11-2013 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Glebe Point YHA, Rooftop Travellers Lodge, Glebe Village Backpackers. Has anyone stayed in any of these hostels? What was your experience like? Did you meet many Irish during your stay at the hostel?

I'm heading to Sydney in Feb on a WHV and am currently looking for a hostel to book for my arrival. After reading so many old boards threads on Sydney, I noticed Glebe kept been mentioned as a nice area in Sydney to stay. So I'm now intrigued to find out more, hence the reason for this thread.

If you have stayed at any of these hostels, I would really like to hear your opinions; good or bad.

Or if you could recommend a different hostel or area in Sydney to start off in, I would appreciate this also.

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Billabong Hotel in Newtown. It's about a 10 min walk to Glebe from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm heading to Sydney in Feb on a WHV and am currently looking for a hostel to book for my arrival. After reading so many old boards threads on Sydney, I noticed Glebe kept been mentioned as a nice area in Sydney to stay. So I'm now intrigued to find out more, hence the reason for this thread.

If you have stayed at any of these hostels, I would really like to hear your opinions; good or bad.
    Glebe has some nice restaurants and cafes, parks etc. But it also has its fair share of wierdos too. Ultimately its a pretty quiet area (which can be good or bad depending on your POV), and there's not a whole lot to do - but you haven't really said what you want to do.

It's withing a walking distance to the CBD, or a short bus ride.
    pete4130 wrote:
    Billabong Hotel in Newtown. It's about a 10 min walk to Glebe from there.
    Closer to 30 mins tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Musicaddict1

Mellor wrote: »
    Glebe has some nice restaurants and cafes, parks etc. But it also has its fair share of wierdos too. Ultimately its a pretty quiet area (which can be good or bad depending on your POV), and there's not a whole lot to do - but you haven't really said what you want to do.

Hey Mellor! Cheers for that insight ;)

I plan to stay in Sydney for a week or two and then head off to do my 3 months regional work, then come back to Sydney to look for more long-term work and find a flatshare. I don't really want to be in a party hostel but I also don't want to be in a place that's dead either.

You might not be able to answer this but I'll ask it anyhow: Do you think I could meet people who I could travel with to do the regional work in a hostel in Glebe or another suburb outside of Sydney or do you think I should look towards central Sydney for that?

I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Is there a particular type of traveler that stays in the suburbs as opposed to the city centre or is that just nonsense on my part.

Any advice you can give would be very much appreciated. I want to be as prepared as I can be.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,337 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You probably have a better chance meeting a travel buddy in the city hostess simply due to the higher volumes of people you'll get in bigger places.

While technically it is it's own suburb, Glebe is still in the inner-city.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

When I arrived to Oz first i stayed in Rooftop travellers in Glebe for 9 weeks, its a great hostel, i loved it there, $125 a week (if you put down a bond) and only 4 bed dorms which have their own bathroom and kitchenette. Nice place, not a party hostel by any stretch but i found it pretty good to meet people there, made some friends for life!

Glebe is a good area to live in, lots of cool little bars and restaurants and its only a short ride on the 431 or 433 bus to the city, can walk up easily too a bus to coogee passes by too.

Short walk to broadway shopping centre with a big coles etc in it..

Id recommend rooftop if you want a good place to set yourself up in and work, or else yha or glebe village if you want to party a little!

• Advertisement

Thanks Cheensbo for sharing your experience. Really appreciate it :)

Anyone else got any views/opinions on Glebe and its hostels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

I stayed in Glebe Village for a month back in January 2012. I liked it, was quite, they're fairly strict on imposing the 11pm curfew due to local by-laws. Together with the frequent 431 bus, it's only a few minutes walk from the tram station down by the cricket oval in the park. I had mates who stayed in Rooftop and they were quiet chuffed with the set up there, PC in each room, free wifi (I think).

Only thing with Glebe Village is that the wifi is ridiculously expensive, indeed I loath any hostel which operate that global gossip system. If you're going to be working, and want a quite corner of the city, then perhaps you should choose Glebe Village.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Anyone else got any views/opinions on Glebe and its hostels?

Lived in Glebe back in 2004 so while ago now. Nice enough suburb but quite. Toxteth would be your local boozer. Good pool tables put nothing special.

Stayed in Glebe Village for a few weeks when I arrived back in Sydney after travels before getting apartment for 6 months. Quite place when I was in hostel but I was there coming into winter. This is the quite season for Sydney backpacking in general in my experience.

Lived in Bondi hostel for a few weeks when I arrived in Sydney. That was a riot.

Newtown is a decent place to go out in terms of suburb and close to Glebe.

Personally I'd recommend heading East rather than West of Sydney. Central Hostels, Kings Cross, Bondi, Cogee or Manley would all be more upbeat and popular backpacker destinations. And I'm well past my party and backpacking days these days.

Where ever you choose in general. My best advice is to only book into a hostel for 1 or 2 nights to start with and see what you think. Some are great and some are awful experiences. Often based on time of year and who is staying there. The best thing is that there is always another great hostel near by.

Thanks everyone for sharing your experiences and advice. Really appreciate it :) I decided to go with Glebe Point YHA in the end. Booked myself a week there to start off with, arriving on 9th Feb. Can't wait!! :):)

• Advertisement
Advertisement