Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Tomorrow's game is more a test of belief and where our psychological strength levels are.

yes three points are critical but its games like tomorrow that if beaten badly, or win confidently can shape things for the battle for fourth.

Lose and our main rivals (imo) for 4th are within two points.

Win and its business as usual.

has 'new Liverpool FC' begun or same yo yo results of old still here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Tusky wrote: »
    We should throw a bid of £30m in for Mata. He will surely have lots of teams in for him, but they may not be willing to go that high.

He would obviously prefer a Champions League club, but I'm sure he would rather play for us than sit on Chelsea's bench, especially in a World Cup year. Chelsea probably wouldn't sell to us, but it's worth a shot.

We would be idiots not to bid, I've said this in the past. The club was more than willing to spend that kinda money on lesser players in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Stoke have 12 points out of 18 at home in the last 6 games and have lost one out of their 10 home games.

Dont be fooled by form and squads etc if we do come away with a win it will be a very good result. At least Assaidi cant play against us :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I must admit ive a bit of an affinty for stoke since my old man scouted for them over here a few years back, but I have a good feeling we will get something out of this game.

And,as has been said, at least assaidi cant play against us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭aramush

The optimist inside me is expecting this tomorrow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

I've only caught the last few minutes, but Andy Carroll does really transform Westham.
    Got the Assist for the Last Goal.

They won even with 10 Men.

Hope Westham stays up. I will feel really bad, if they go down, after getting our Players.
    Andy Carroll was terrible when he came on. Terrible touch. He got an assist but was a simple pass while Cardiff were pushing forward. This is fair enough as it was his first game back but there was no transformation as you say - the hammers were under the cosh from start to finish.

Today's results don't change tomorrow's game at all. It remains a tough fixture in which we'll be lucky to get 3 points. Rivals all had it easy this week, Everton and Spurs played Norwich and Palace at home ffs. They'll have their hard weeks and we'll have our easy weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

United 1 up. Hopefully that's not the mockers on Swansea now..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Important one tomorrow now

It's ridiculously tight for top 6/7 now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

We should throw a bid of £30m in for Mata. He will surely have lots of teams in for him, but they may not be willing to go that high.

He would obviously prefer a Champions League club, but I'm sure he would rather play for us than sit on Chelsea's bench, especially in a World Cup year. Chelsea probably wouldn't sell to us, but it's worth a shot.
    I'm starting to get the feeling there wont be any more transfers between us and chelsea. Seemingly BR said that Moses needs to up his game since he is after joining a big club aka chelsea is a small club:). Cant link as its on fanatix on mobile only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's ridiculously tight for top 6/7 now

Yup, really need to sign one or two first eleven players to ensure we push on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Its gone from a draw being a decent result to a must win imo.
    Vicxas wrote: »
    Wow. No favours done for us today.

Tomorrow is a must win now
    Fowler87 wrote: »

When was tomorrows game not important and not a must win?

Don't we set out to win every game?

We should not be worried about the other results, in which there were no shocks and focus on our own game.

murpho999 wrote: »
    When was tomorrows game not important and not a must win?

Don't we set out to win every game?

We should not be worried about the other results, in which there were no shocks and focus on our own game.

Believe it or not other results do matter so of course we are going to comment on them!

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im sticking with my theory that once we beat those teams below us in the league we will be OK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Believe it or not other results do matter so of course we are going to comment on them!

Of course othe results matter but your going to have a pretty sad time of it hoping that the likes of United, City, Chelsea lose every week

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Im sticking with my theory that once we beat those teams below us in the league we will be OK.

If we beat everyone below us then obviously we'll get top 4, but we won't. We've already lost a couple to teams below us and we have a few tough games again coming up. Villa at home should be ok despite what happened last season, but our next 5 away games are not ones we've done well in recently:

Stoke
    West Brom
    Fulham (these are rubbish this season though)
    Southampton
    Man Utd

Throw in a home game against Everton in the meantime as well and the next few weeks could go very pear shaped. A win tomorrow would be a huge boost, and while any result wouldn't make or break our season, it would be very good for confidence that we could turn around our poor performances. Saying that though, the last 3 tough away games have mostly been very good performances, the first half at Stamford Bridge excepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Fowler87 wrote: »

Yes, but if all the top teams had lost today then people would be saying that it's a must win game as well as they must take advantage of the slip ups.

So every game is a must win isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's a must win, when other team's wins have knocked us down to 6th, yeah.

If other teams had lost, we'd have more breathing room, but now we have to win it to keep up.
    murpho999 wrote: »

Us the Team, or Liverpool fans?

The team will be focused on the game at hand. Fans will watch how wins and losses around top 4 go and thus don't need to focus so to speak on anything, really. Other results matter and come into the discussion. It's natural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

I'm so glad we bought Stuart Downing instead of Arda Turan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

5starpool wrote: »
    If we beat everyone below us then obviously we'll get top 4, but we won't. We've already lost a couple to teams below us and we have a few tough games again coming up. Villa at home should be ok despite what happened last season, but our next 5 away games are not ones we've done well in recently:

Stoke
    West Brom
    Fulham (these are rubbish this season though)
    Southampton
    Man Utd

Throw in a home game against Everton in the meantime as well and the next few weeks could go very pear shaped. A win tomorrow would be a huge boost, and while any result wouldn't make or break our season, it would be very good for confidence that we could turn around our poor performances. Saying that though, the last 3 tough away games have mostly been very good performances, the first half at Stamford Bridge excepted.

The lowest away points total to get 4th in recent seasons was 26 and then 27 points, both by Spurs, the reality is getting half of the available 57 points away from home is doing pretty well. We've 12 out of 30 but take out tomorrow, the United and Southampton matches, the other 6 matches are very winnable, at teams that home records isn't that great, hell United and Southampton are hardly fortresses this season.

Make no mistake about it, tomorrow is a tough game and a draw would be a decent result on its own merits, it's as difficult and important as United or Southampton away. Stoke don't concede much at home.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Mourinho is playing silly buggers with Mata. First, he announced that Mata could leave. Now, because Mata has been put in the shop window, Mourinho has tried to make out that Mata is a more indispensable member of the squad than what he actually is in order to jack the price up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

K-9 wrote: »
    Stoke don't concede much at home.

7 goals conceded from 10. Southampton/ManCity/Chelsea/Everton failed to win there.Its gonna be tough, but a win will be all the more important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Should be a tough game tomorrow. Will probably see Sturridge coming off the bench.
    Rodgers saying the right players might not be available this transfer window.
    Right wing and center midfield need reinforcement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I really think we are in for a big fight for the CL place. Everton are not going to collaspe and Spurs I think will get stronger as the players bed in and Sherwood has nothing to loss and everthing to gain so he will go all out attacking in every game, Utd will get on run of games that will keep them in or there abouts. I can't see City or Chelsea and even Arsenal dropping many points.

I don't think the beating all below us is all we have to do. We really need to take points our rivals when they come to anfield and to score a shed more goals to make sure we are miles ahead of the other teams on goal difference. Deep down I have a feeling the CL place could go down to goal difference.

I really think we are in for a big fight for the CL place. Everton are not going to collaspe and Spurs I think will get stronger as the players bed in and Sherwood has nothing to loss and everthing to gain so he will go all out attacking in every game, Utd will get on run of games that will keep them in or there abouts. I can't see City or Chelsea and even Arsenal dropping many points.

I don't think the beating all below us is all we have to do. We really need to take points our rivals when they come to anfield and to score a shed more goals to make sure we are miles ahead of the other teams on goal difference. Deep down I have a feeling the CL place could go down to goal difference.

To be honest, based on our recent history - I'm delighted we are in with a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Even with Rooney and RVP crocked for most of the season and the club itself supposedly in crisis, United are still only 4 points off top 4. For us to secure top 4, we need to replicated our first half season - nothing else will do.

Well technically if we lost all our games to the top 5 which are all at home we would still qualify for 4th! Not going to happen though.

Uniteds form against the bottom half of the table teams was the basis for winning the league last season, they only lost once, we've only dropped 2 points to those this season. A win in that regard is important tomorrow but a point wouldn't be bad given Stokes results at home, no reason for anybody to worry about us getting 4th or anything like that. It's so tight that being 4th or 5th isn't that important, a loss would be very disappointing though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭careca

Even with Rooney and RVP crocked for most of the season and the club itself supposedly in crisis, United are still only 4 points off top 4. For us to secure top 4, we need to replicated our first half season - nothing else will do.

Its all relative though. If Utd finish 4th this year then the fans will say "happy days, now we'll push on next year". if they finished 4th again next year though, Moyes would get the door as they expect to win the title. So basically 4 points off 4th isn't good enough for them at the minute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

We have hardly had a clean bill of health ourselves, I can't remember when we have had a full strength squad. But you are right that we need to replicate the first half of the season, if we fall away the great start that has been made will be for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What if we do better than the first half? Will that do? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Just back from the legends thing with Fowler and McAteer.

Two funny guys with some good stories.

Most of the crowd were decent but a fair chunk on my side of the room were absolute tossers who'd been on the lash for most of the day. Had to change seats after the interval.

At least i got to meet God himself.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

K-9 wrote: »
    Well technically if we lost all our games to the top 5 which are all at home we would still qualify for 4th! Not going to happen though.

Uniteds form against the bottom half of the table teams was the basis for winning the league last season, they only lost once, we've only dropped 2 points to those this season. A win in that regard is important tomorrow but a point wouldn't be bad given Stokes results at home, no reason for anybody to worry about us getting 4th or anything like that. It's so tight that being 4th or 5th isn't that important, a loss would be very disappointing though.

Of the 10 teams in the bottom half we've played 8 at home, so it's a false position at this point of the season and far too early to say we should rely on beating those teams for top 4. It's a different proposition playing most of those teams away than at home. So far the season has gone mostly as I've expected given our fixtures, but I'm far less optimistic about part 2 of the season. I think about 66 points will be our finishing points total if I had to predict.

5starpool wrote: »
    Of the 10 teams in the bottom half we've played 8 at home, so it's a false position at this point of the season and far too early to say we should rely on beating those teams for top 4. It's a different proposition playing most of those teams away than at home. So far the season has gone mostly as I've expected given our fixtures, but I'm far less optimistic about part 2 of the season. I think about 66 points will be our finishing points total if I had to predict.

Yep, I posted the stats a day or 2 ago, won all 7 at home and won 2 and drew 1 away. That's United title winning form last season, never mind 4th. Personally I think we'll do enough in the 6 "easy" away games and grab a couple of points away in the others, to have us on target for 4th.

We've leeway then on the home games against the top 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

9528422361_f65a20c269_o.gif
    More of this today, no-one backing down from the rough stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

****ing hate stoke away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Charlie Adam will be playing. Not sure if he just likes breaking Spurs up or will Coutinho be on the end of a hobnailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

650th appearance for Gerrard today if he plays. Equals Phil Neal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

If Adam starts his ****e, I hope one or all of Sakho, Skrtel, Gerrard or Lucas decide to stand up for their team mate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

If Adam starts his ****e, I hope one or all of Sakho, Skrtel, Gerrard or Lucas decide to stand up for their team mate.

I think that is something the team misses at times. Watching the Keane and Viera documentary a couple of weeks back and Keane said something if you pick on Gary Neville then I was coming after you...I think sometimes we don't stand up for the other members of the team much when they start to get pucked around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭budgemook

I think that is something the team misses at times. Watching the Keane and Viera documentary a couple of weeks back and Keane said something if you pick on Gary Neville then I was coming after you...I think sometimes we don't stand up for the other members of the team much when they start to get pucked around.

Didn't Sterling say before that Gerrard does this?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭googled eyes

mav79 wrote: »
    9528422361_f65a20c269_o.gif
    More of this today, no-one backing down from the rough stuff.

Don't worry, Little Phil will sort Adam out if he tries anything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I'll be honest, I'm sensing an implosion of sorts on field for Liverpool today.

Now, that could well be the hangover talking, but yano, just said I'd mention it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Knex. wrote: »

Now, that could well be the hangover talking, but yano, just said I'd mention it :p

I don't have a good felling about it either. :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

Knex. wrote: »

Positive thinking. Thats the spirit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Positive thinking. Thats the spirit

You just wrote in the match thread that you've a bad feeling about today :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

budgemook wrote: »
    Didn't Sterling say before that Gerrard does this?

Like when??? He doesn't strike me as that type of person who gets a reminder dig in and besides he is injured here and there and will not be around forever. We need someone who controls the midfield well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Like when??? He doesn't strike me as that type of person who gets a reminder dig in and besides he is injured here and there and will not be around forever. We need someone who controls the midfield well.

Sterling was talking to that lad tubs on Soccer Am and said it, and then they showed videos of Gerrard tackling lads hard shortly after they went after Sterling.

Nervous about this game today, been drinking all day and will be in bed watching this before I pass out before work tomorrow, hope it's all done and dusted before half time and I can watch the rest of what happened tomorrow evening :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I haven't posted here much but it's the first page I read when I log onto Boards. I can sense a fear among some of ye regarding today's match and I know that feeling all too well. It's part of being a Liverpool FC fan I guess. I have spent all my life supporting LFC and I've lived through the good times as well as the not so good. I've been optimistic a good many times before a match only for LFC to play badly and/or lose. You don't want to be around me after they lose a game. Depressed is an understatement!

But with BR in charge now and Liverpool FC having their best season in a long time I feel confident we can get what we set out to achieve, 4th place. Anything higher than that will be a bonus, including a cup win. Stoke away is always a tough match but I don't have a feeling of doom about today. I think we can get a 1- or 2-0 win there today.

I have seen more matches this year than the last few and I am impressed by what I see. Sure, we had bad days but we were on top looking down at the rest for a little while again. That felt good and brought back memories. I don't know about winning the league this season but I feel we will not be far off the top.

I'm going to say we win by 1 or 2 goals today. It will probably be a tight game but I hope I'm wrong and we get a hatfull of goals. The FA Cup match was a break for some players but I want to get back to the real business of Premier League matches, which means watching Luis Suarez bang in the goals!!

Liverpool FC have raised my hopes again, but like many supporters I am wary. But we can win today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Just back from the legends thing with Fowler and McAteer.

Two funny guys with some good stories.

Most of the crowd were decent but a fair chunk on my side of the room were absolute tossers who'd been on the lash for most of the day. Had to change seats after the interval.

At least i got to meet God himself.

Any photos Super ? :cool:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement