Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Knex. wrote: »
    I'll be honest, I'm sensing an implosion of sorts on field for Liverpool today.

Now, that could well be the hangover talking, but yano, just said I'd mention it :p

Stoke away .... eyes behind fingers time :D

Off to read the match thread ...Thanks Super-Rush good start ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its time to break this Stoke record and take a big step towards qualifying for the CL, a win today would be a good indication that Liverpool are worthy contenders.

But ill take a draw:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Blondie919 wrote: »
    I haven't posted here much but it's the first page I read when I log onto Boards. I can sense a fear among some of ye regarding today's match and I know that feeling all too well. It's part of being a Liverpool FC fan I guess. I have spent all my life supporting LFC and I've lived through the good times as well as the not so good. I've been optimistic a good many times before a match only for LFC to play badly and/or lose. You don't want to be around me after they lose a game. Depressed is an understatement!

But with BR in charge now and Liverpool FC having their best season in a long time I feel confident we can get what we set out to achieve, 4th place. Anything higher than that will be a bonus, including a cup win. Stoke away is always a tough match but I don't have a feeling of doom about today. I think we can get a 1- or 2-0 win there today.

I have seen more matches this year than the last few and I am impressed by what I see. Sure, we had bad days but we were on top looking down at the rest for a little while again. That felt good and brought back memories. I don't know about winning the league this season but I feel we will not be far off the top.

I'm going to say we win by 1 or 2 goals today. It will probably be a tight game but I hope I'm wrong and we get a hatfull of goals. The FA Cup match was a break for some players but I want to get back to the real business of Premier League matches, which means watching Luis Suarez bang in the goals!!

Liverpool FC have raised my hopes again, but like many supporters I am wary. But we can win today.

Certainly seems to be something common to many Liverpool FC supporters now.

Reminds me a little of what, imo of course, were the crowning achievements of Ged and Rafa .

Ged came in and in time I think the man gave us a sense of hope. We started to think that good things may not be a pipedream, and that maybe, just maybe, this guy could raise us up. Now it did not end well for Ged, but he did bring hope and no small degree of pride back to the support imho.

Then we had Rafa. I think Rafa took that hope, which had dwindled somewhat again, and he fanned those embers until they caught alight. But this time we had a man who took hope a step further. We had a man that gave us something stronger and more dangerous.

He gave us a sense of belief.

And for a time that sense of belief fuelled both the players and suporters. We felt like we could go toe to toe with anyone. If we took a hit, then we expected that we would drag ourselves back to our feet like a battle tested fighter, and we expected to hit back with interest.

That belief stage then ended badly, and was probably a more crushing fall than the one that came after Ged left.

But now I think we are seeing the early stages of a similar rise, and hopefully Rodgers will be the man who takes us to the hope stage, then back to the belief stage, and pushes us on to a point where we accept a higher standing as what is the norm rather than something we crane our necks to view.

We are all on yet another LFC journey. Maybe this one is the one that ends with us landing a knockout blow in the final round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Houllier was great. Plenty of time for that man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Its sad being so young that Houllier was the first manager of my Liverpool supporting days. Wish I was around to see us lift a league title. What I'd give to see us lift one now.

I honestly think we have the foundations of a serious team. 3 or so top class 1st team signings and 1 or 2 good squad players and we'd be up there imo. I keep saying it, but a dynamic centre midfielder this transfer window would boost the team so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

hefferboi wrote: »
    Its sad being so young that Houllier was the first manager of my Liverpool supporting days. Wish I was around to see us lift a league title. What I'd give to see us lift one now.

I honestly think we have the foundations of a serious team. 3 or so top class 1st team signings and 1 or 2 good squad players and we'd be up there imo. I keep saying it, but a dynamic centre midfielder this transfer window would boost the team so much.
    has it's upside though. at least you don't remember the Souness days.

bluefinger wrote: »
    has it's upside though. at least you don't remember the Souness days.

Can still recall being excited at him getting the job. Did not take him very long at all to rid me of that excitement.:(

Greatest midfielder I have ever seen play for us, but was so out of his depth (and out of touch) as Liverpool manager.

Yeah Houllier was great for the club, totally changed the mentality of the players and helped rid us of that spice boys tag. He signed a large amount of players that I would regard as Liverpool greats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Kess73 wrote: »

Greatest midfielder I have ever seen play for us

Barnes for me though I was very young for the end of Souness' career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

Can still recall being excited at him getting the job. Did not take him very long at all to rid me of that excitement.:(

Greatest midfielder I have ever seen play for us, but was so out of his depth (and out of touch) as Liverpool manager.

Me too, how wrong I was, my united following father even managed to poison my younger brother against Liverpool as a result of his appointment.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Yeah Houllier was great for the club, totally changed the mentality of the players and helped rid us of that spice boys tag. He signed a large amount of players that I would regard as Liverpool greats.

Yeah he made us feel a serious club again, and not a club where the players bossed the manager.

Think the scale of the task he had often gets overlooked. We were full of players who liked to do as they pleased, and players who seemed to believe (and encourage) their own hype.

Hell of a clean up and clean out job by Ged,

8-10 wrote: »
    Barnes for me though I was very young for the end of Souness' career.

Barnes for me was the best winger/wideman I saw play for us , but maybe I should have said Souness was the best CM that I saw rather than midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Knex. wrote: »
    Houllier was great. Plenty of time for that man.

He gave the club back the winning mentality, reminding a lot of fans what it was like to win a trophy again. The bloke is a very very significant and important person in the history of the club.

Yeah he made us feel a serious club again, and not a club where the players bossed the manager.

Think the scale of the task he had often gets overlooked. We were full of players who liked to do as they pleased, and players who seemed to believe (and encourage) their own hype.

Hell of a clean up and clean out job by Ged,

I can remember D Murphy talking about GH and how he changed how the players trained and how they lived, Murphy said that the changes probably helped him have a longer playing career.

monkey9 wrote: »
    He gave the club back the winning mentality, reminding a lot of fans what it was like to win a trophy again. The bloke is a very very significant and important person in the history of the club.

From what i can remember, it was only a micky mouse treble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Stargate wrote: »
    Stoke away .... eyes behind fingers time :D

Off to read the match thread ...Thanks Super-Rush good start ;)

That thread will get messy if we don't win. Man U won this weekend so certain posters will feel able to post and thank certain posts in there if the result doesn't go our way!! :)

monkey9 wrote: »
    That thread will get messy if we don't win. Man U won this weekend so certain posters will feel able to post and thank certain posts in there if the result doesn't go our way!! :)

Ah sure it works both ways. No biggie

I hope we go out and try to score early. If we do that I think we could get the win as we have the players to then really hurt Stoke on the break.

[QUOTE=hefferboi;88428148]Its sad being so young that Houllier was the first manager of my Liverpool supporting days. Wish I was around to see us lift a league title. What I'd give to see us lift one now.

I honestly think we have the foundations of a serious team. 3 or so top class 1st team signings and 1 or 2 good squad players and we'd be up there imo. I keep saying it, but a dynamic centre midfielder this transfer window would boost the team so much.[/QUOTE]

Your /Our day will come again hefferboi ;)

I was lucky ;) I began to support Liverpool FC right around 1971/72 .
    It was the time Leeds Utd had an awesome team ... The likes of

Peter Lorimer, Eddie Gray,, Allan Clarke, Norman Hunter, Frank Gray.
    Terry Yorath, Trevor Cherry,

Those days were really "hard" games , makes the Stoke team of today look like pu$$ies ;)

it was 72 they won the Fa Cup ( Leeds )

It was 1974 we won it with the great team we had then .

Clemence,
    Smith,
    Lindsay,
    Thompson,
    Cormack,
    Hughes,
    Keegan,
    Hall,
    Heighway,
    Toshack,
    Callaghan

The GREAT Bill Shankly stunned the world when he announced his retirement that summer !!

I have some really fantastic memories of those glory days .

I suppose Istanbul 2005 is something you remember ?

Remember Y N W A !!

Always has been that way and Always will for Liverpool supporters !

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I can remember D Murphy talking about GH and how he changed how the players trained and how they lived, Murphy said that the changes probably helped him have a longer playing career.

Yep Ged was very good to players that listened, and those that tried to act the clown with him did not last long at the club. Did not take him very long to weed out the likes of Ince, Ruddock & co.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

It's offical : Liverpool fans are among the most knowledgeable fans :)

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/its-official-everton-fc-liverpool-6499052

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Barnes for me was the best winger/wideman I saw play for us , but maybe I should have said Souness was the best CM that I saw rather than midfielder.

I was only 7 when Souness left so can't really include him, but of the slightly later midfield hardmen, Steve McMahon was a player I loved watching play and isn't mentioned often enough in these discussions I think. Molby was another I loved for us, and was delighted to get to meet the man a few years back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

5starpool wrote: »
    I was only 7 when Souness left so can't really include him, but of the slightly later midfield hardmen, Steve McMahon was a player I loved watching play and isn't mentioned often enough in these discussions I think. Molby was another I loved for us, and was delighted to get to meet the man a few years back.

Calmness personified, very unusual in the English game.

Jez 5star ...Steve McMahon wow
    Imagine him in midfield today behind Sturridge and Suarez :eek:

Molby was like action man in slow mo ...everytime he got the ball looked like the telly froze lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Souness was a monster and he could play as well!

What I wouldn't give now to have a player with even half his ability in midfiled today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

Started supporting Liverpool in '92 at about 11 / 12 years of age. Souness days

• Advertisement

budgemook wrote: »
    Started supporting Liverpool in '92 at about 11 / 12 years of age. Souness days

Fair play for staying the course with that as your introduction. Were you misguided when you were younger or did you not have much interest in football?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fair play for staying the course with that as your introduction. Were you misguided when you were younger or did you not have much interest in football?

:D

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭budgemook

My cousin told me to support them and I didn't want to incur his wrath!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Any photos Super ? :cool:

Only have ones of me and the CL trophy. We weren't allowed to take any pics during the show and they fecked off at the end before i even managed to ge an autograph.
    Yep Ged was very good to players that listened, and those that tried to act the clown with him did not last long at the club. Did not take him very long to weed out the likes of Ince, Ruddock & co.

Funny you should mention Ince. Benito Carbone was on the Fantasy Football Show this week and had Ince in his all time XI and said he was the best midfielder and trainer he had played with.

Fowler told a story last night about Ruddock weighing in once at 15 and a half stone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

my first memories of loving liverpool was when they played leeds at landsowne road in a friendly. i have no clue what year it was maybe 1998 but i was about 8. various players sat behind us in their suites. i only really knew of the stars like fowler and owen back as a kid so id have to ask my brother who the players were

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Fowler told a story last night about Ruddock weighing in once at 15 and a half stone.

Ruddock used to pour water over himself if he was left unsupervised in the exercise room . He would sit and eat a bacon sandwich while reading a paper . Instead of trying to get the weight down .

Souness was a monster and he could play as well!

What I wouldn't give now to have a player with even half his ability in midfiled today.

A player with half of what Souness had would be lauded as being world class nowadays.

Only Yosser Hughes could have taken Souness in a fight.:D

And anyone who has never seen The Blackstuff/ Boys from the blackstuff should go seek it out. As bleak as it is funny, and very representative of it's time.

A player with half of what Souness had would be lauded as being world class nowadays.

And anyone who has never seen The Blackstuff/ Boys from the blackstuff should go seek it out. As bleak as it is funny, and very representative of it's time.

Gizza job Kess ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Newcastle getting the ugly end of an Unfair Stick.

Tiote's Goal should have stood.

Giss a job Kess ;)

Haha I even managed to work Yosser and that line into the job vacancy thread in the Limerick forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056902610

Was a good lad was Yosser. He continued to have bad luck as he got older though. Some ship sank on him at one point, and he met a bit of a sticky end at Minas Tirith.

Loved the Irish though. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭c_o_ck p_i_ss chillage

Hey just wanted to let those of you who don't know that there is a Liverpool themed event happening in the Sugar Club tonight, doors at 6pm and kicks off at 7pm. It's called "the Anatomy of Liverpool (in ten matches)".

As that suggests, they'll be looking at ten of the most important matches in the history of the club and how they impacted the team that we know today, as well as looking at Liverpool's illustrious past and how these matches defined their time, or highlighted the end of an era.

More details here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-anatomy-of-liverpool-an-evening-with-jonathan-wilson-scott-murray-host-john-keith-tickets-9689857625

My friend whose running it says that tickets will be available at the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Just saw Moyes at the Juve match, who is he after? Vidal? Pogba? Prob Marchisio.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭TrueIt

I feel bad for newcastle, not a good weekend of results for liverpool at all

Graeme Souness, aye what a midfielder,

He was an obdurate, iron-willed beast of a man who left his heart on every pitch he graced.

He won three European Cups; he brought Julian Dicks to the club :o. He won four FA Cups; he brought Julian Dicks to the club :(. He won five league titles; he brought Julian Dicks to the club :(. See? Yin and yang.

To Souness' credit, the signing of Rob Jones - undeniably one of the finest full-backs to pull on the Red shirt IMO - for 300k from Crewe, was a very canny one too.

Haha I even managed to work Yosser and that line into the job vacancy thread in the Limerick forum.

Was a good lad was Yosser. He continued to have bad luck as he got older though. Some ship sank on him at one point, and he met a bit of a sticky end at Minas Tirith.

Loved the Irish though. :D

Just looked at the link Kess ...

Even funnier now .

So True :cool:

Reminds me of another great character !

Jimmy Nail 'Oz' - from Auf Wiedersehen, Pet .

Another great fella :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

billy2012 wrote: »
    Just saw Moyes at the Juve match, who is he after? Vidal? Pogba? Prob Marchisio.

An Italian Tom Cleverley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lucky that wasn't a Boswell charity event then again that would have been one hell of a BBC crossover :D

Hey just wanted to let those of you who don't know that there is a Liverpool themed event happening in the Sugar Club tonight, doors at 6pm and kicks off at 7pm. It's called "the Anatomy of Liverpool (in ten matches)".

As that suggests, they'll be looking at ten of the most important matches in the history of the club and how they impacted the team that we know today, as well as looking at Liverpool's illustrious past and how these matches defined their time, or highlighted the end of an era.

More details here: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/the-anatomy-of-liverpool-an-evening-with-jonathan-wilson-scott-murray-host-john-keith-tickets-9689857625

My friend whose running it says that tickets will be available at the door.

I stuck up a pic of the poster for it in here a few days ago.

Have the book that tonight's show is based on, and it is a good read. Would imagine that tonight's show will be a good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

TrueIt wrote: »
    I feel bad for newcastle, not a good weekend of results for liverpool at all

unless you've done an accumulator of all the rivals to win at 25 to one and are just waiting for city and arsenal.

billy2012 wrote: »

The latter if rumours are to be believed.

dr ro wrote: »
    unless you've done an accumulator of all the rivals to win at 25 to one and are just waiting for city and arsenal.

Did you put something on it? I ended up putting a small bet on it with PP after you posted about it yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

I did a small one too. No deposit on the roller as they say.

Great to see Gerrard starting and Strurridge back.

It's raining and were away to Stoke, a very hard match ahead.

If you are standing to win a nice bit you could lay arsenal tomorrow to lock in some profit

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    If you are standing to win a nice bit you could lay arsenal tomorrow to lock in some profit

No offence to the lads, but I hope Newcastle ruin their bet before it gets to that point.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement