Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What?!!

The only one Saveable was Walter's Goal, and even I can't fault him for that, since it went through Toure's Legs.

He also made 2 Good Saves, including one against Gerrard.

A header from that distance I would be expecting him to save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A defence that threw away a 2 goal lead, and almost did the same again. But an attack that scored FIVE at the Brittania.

We took a huge 3 points, but I hope there some lessons taken with them, too.

S.A.S... A.S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Great win. Delighted with it.

Can't help but can't help feel we need to stop shipping goals if we want to grab that top 4 spot though. Conceding 2 or more goals in of our last 9 away matches? That's a shocking stat.

Another howler from Mignolet is not good.

Sterling is playing very well which is great to see.

Suarez is just unbelievable.

Coutinho needs to learn to finish in order to be a genuine top player IMO.

Like a number of games this season, it highlighted the need for some quality to be added this window.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Turtyturd wrote: »
    A header from that distance I would be expecting him to save.

The Header was well-placed and came out of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Well, that was fun :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

Blondie919 wrote: »

I'm going to say we win by 1 or 2 goals today. It will probably be a tight game but I hope I'm wrong and we get a hatfull of goals.

But we can win today.

Well, I was right and wrong then right again. And right again at the end, thank fook!

Jeez that was some match! Our defence is poor but our attack is awesome!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

So, Luis 10 out of 10 i think.

And Stevie the 3rd best player on the field IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Mignolet mixed some great saves with some bad mistakes. He was making those saves earlier in the season but the mistakes have just begun to creep in recently.

Cissokho is a real worry the longer he plays at LB. Charlie Adam was going past him awful easily today at times and he's hardly known for his pace and trickery.

Great to have Sturridge back.

We have an unreal attack, so fast, skillfull and a serious mindfcuk for any defense.

Our own defense is a mess.

Still though, I'd have taken a scrappy 1-0 win but I much preferred that 8 goal thriller.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

What?!!

The only one Saveable was Walter's Goal, and even I can't fault him for that, since it went through Toure's Legs.

He also made 2 Good Saves, including one against Gerrard.

Spot on.

He did make two atrocious attempts at punches in the first half though.
    He should've been able to either catch them or get a proper punch in. Halfway in between is no use to anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Gerrard refers to his new holding role saying he's going to playing a lot in it going forward. Doesn't bode well to us bringing in a top quality midfield player this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Knex. wrote: »
    Another thread well done won from Super-Rush.

Thank you thank you.

All donations to my PayPal account will be gratefully accepted.

Spurs away
    United at home

This one feels as big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

Gerrard saying there hes going to play the deeper role more in the future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

klose wrote: »
    Gerrard saying there hes going to play the deeper role more in the future

He was deeper than Lucas for most of today's game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mignolet mixed some great saves with some bad mistakes. He was making those saves earlier in the season but the mistakes have just begun to creep in recently.

Cissokho is a real worry the longer he plays at LB. Charlie Adam was going past him awful easily today at times and he's hardly known for his pace and trickery.

Great to have Sturridge back.

I think the lack of a settled back four in front of him is a problem, and the lack of a settled CB pairing has to have some impact on his play.

Good that he decides that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

The defence were very shaky today, but the midfield were a disgrace. For the first 30 minutes I thought Lucas got around well, but faded after that. Gerrard needs to stop looking for killer passes every chance and just play the simple pass at times. Henderson was the worst out of the three, as others have said, if he is that intimidated by Gerrard that's his problem to overcome, but I find he goes missing in any game where things are going badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Kolo was very poor today, Skrtel not great either but the pressure came pooring through the middle again. Adams goal was shameful in that respect, def have a soft centre.

Kess73 wrote: »
    I think the lack of a settled back four in front of him is a problem, and the lack of a settled CB pairing has to have some impact on his play.

I don't think that's an excuse for the mistakes he's made which have led to goals against City, Chelsea & today. That's just not making saves he should be making.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

donfers wrote: »
    trust us to be the only team in the top 7 to give other fans something to cheer about

talk about a soft underbelly, we give away some amount of leads

second 45 minutes will tell us a lot about this team - I predict plenty of missed chances and it to finish 2-2

really really poor when the pressure is on, to get a champions league place we really need to deliver when it counts and today is the day

let's break the habit of a lifetime and show some bottle and turn it around

Hopefully the second half will teach you a lesson, this team is different from recent ones, no need to have meltdowns 2-2 at half time against Stoke. We always stood a much better chance of winning that game with Suarez and also Sturridge coming of the bench. We really missed him in the City and Chelsea games in particular.

Some second half from the team, time was when we dreaded second halfs.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Mig's howler was a real mess. Today it didn't cost us luckily enough

I loved Suarez's reaction when Sturridge scored

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im sorry to say it but Coutinho has done nothing in the time Sturridge was out to cement a starting spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Daniel Sturridge I love you.

mav79 wrote: »
    The defence were very shaky today, but the midfield were a disgrace. For the first 30 minutes I thought Lucas got around well, but faded after that.

He looked like he got an injury then. He was hobbling around for 10 minutes and then seemed to play deeper for a lot of the rest of the game.

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Im sorry to say it but Coutinho has done nothing in the time Sturridge was out to cement a starting spot.

Agreed, it's Suarez, Sterling & Sturridge for me.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    I loved Suarez's reaction when Sturridge scored

He grabbed the ball from the net cause he wanted to score more

3 game shooting ban for Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

anyone be in favour of dropping Coutinho rather than Sterling for Sturridge?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

I am pie wrote: »
    Kolo was very poor today, Skrtel not great either but the pressure came pooring through the middle again. Adams goal was shameful in that respect, def have a soft centre.

Sakho and Agger will be Rodgers two IMO, when fit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

K-9 wrote: »
    Hopefully the second half will teach you a lesson, this team is different from recent ones, no need to have meltdowns 2-2 at half time against Stoke. We always stood a much better chance of winning that game with Suarez and also Sturridge coming of the bench. We really missed him in the City and Chelsea games in particular.

Some second half from the team, time was when we dreaded second halfs.

there was no meltdown at half time, i just called it as I saw it and I stand by my comments, we were equally as vulnerable in the second half, anyone who can't admit that that defense is going to cost us long-term is deluding themselves

we shouldn't put so much pressure on our forward players every game

it was a poor performance, apart from suarez, sterling and sturridge, nobody played well - of course I'll take the result and am delighted with the three points but looking at the bigger picture of champions league qualificiation - the defense has to improve or we won't qualify, it's as simple as that in my view

I am pie wrote: »

That was down to Coutinho (I thinK) giving the ball away for Adam to run at the back four under no pressure.

I thought Toure was excellent.

When you're covering across for Walters goal like he was you're always on the back foot and at a disadvantage.

Suarez and Skrtel were at fault for Crouch's goal for putting no pressure on the cross.
    Someone who's 6 inches taller is always going to get a header in. It was probably his only clear chance and Crouch was well handled for the most part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,597 ✭✭✭brevity

It's a huge concern if Gerrard is going to be playing that holding role. I just don't think he is able for it. Perhaps off the bench when we are comfortable but I think it will be a huge mistake to let that continue.

We desperately need to improve our midfield and our compose in defence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Agueroooo wrote: »
    Been saying that for awhile now. He is trying the right things and working hard, its just nothing is coming off for him right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

ManOnFire wrote: »

Great options to have, backs to the wall I'd have Sterling, but if a team is sitting in their own half I'd prefer Couthino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

ManOnFire wrote: »

That's the selection choices were being discussed on Sky a few mins ago

The derby at the end of the month is shaping up to be very important.

Teams are just gonna troll the bolløx out if us down the left for the rest if the season aren't they :(

Also we only have 2 of the current top 10 to play away... Utd and Southampton.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

We've scored more away goals than anyone now (mostly thanks to today and Spurs obviously) but conceded more than all but 3 teams. Not good for the heart.

Looking forward to going to the game next weekend for my first game since Nov 9th.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Stevie just said on Being Sports that holding mid will be he's new position a lot more this season. Seem they have been working on it in training!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Summary-

Oh my giddy Aunt! I knew it was going to be a game best watched from behind the sofa.

Great to see Sturridge back and make an immediate impression, he, Suarez and the new, improved Sterling will keep Liverpool in the Top Cup, elsewhere the same old issues are live - Coutinho doing everything but scoring, Johnson sleep at the wheel, Gerrard with his utterly ludicrous 40 yard straight line balls out of defence, the mix and match central defenders.

The way Henderson is visibly cowed by Gerrard instead of doing his own thing is quite depressing to see. Allen should be back soon hopefully Rodgers will have the balls to use him rather than Stevie.

Still, this was always going to be one of the make or break games and it was won with 5 goals, so onwards and upwards (if any of the top sides can do that right now).

Gbear wrote: »
    That was down to Coutinho (I thinK) giving the ball away for Adam to run at the back four under no pressure.

Almost certain Gerrard could have done better. I know he slipped but he was nowhere near Adam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

We are the new Newcastle United of circa 1995/96

"A spanish penalty"

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Sooner or Later

Mental game but a win is a win.

Great to have Sturridge back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

kfallon wrote: »
    We are the new Newcastle United of circa 1995/96

Id love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭bluefinger

the defence is worrying but with Villa next at home, i would hope Sakho and Enrique coming back soon after might steady the ship.

delighted with a win. thought that many here underestimated stoke. they are a tough team at home, Everton and city only took a point from there, Chelsea were beaten. spurs united and arsenal still have to go there, i will watch those games with interest.

two more goals for the gd, sturridge back and scoring (great composure and finish too), Suarez his usual sublime self. Sterling really looking much stronger in addition to his technique. bring it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Coutinho is like crouch was when he joined - I think he just needs to forget about scoring, his link up play is very good and he can spot a pass - Just forget about the goals and when the chance arrives, put it away, after that I fell they will be like the busses for him, it's just confidence.

Also, dont get the defence hate, the 1st two goals stoke scored were good, adams was unstoppable! apart from mig's trainwreck for the third I didnt think it was too bad! Shaky at times allright but not the worst ive seen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

sakho, enrique and allen back will improve us defensively

a few more in the window, defensive midfielder, full back and attacking player and we'll really be motoring but not looking good on that front at the moment

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement