Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14 Mod warning Post #1041

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

While the defence was poor they aren't helped by the stupidity they have to see in front of them. Two goals up in late in the game and we brekaing our bollox to score again, wtf? Before Stoke scored their third they had another counter attack, which if it wasn't for Gerrard getting back, would have left a Stoke man all on his own in the pentaly box. No idea how this **** happens with a 2-0 lead. Their goal was just as bad, give the ball away stupidily and then we're left with toure one vs one against Walters in the middle of the box. This team really needs to smarten up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Almost certain Gerrard could have done better. I know he slipped but he was nowhere near Adam.

He wasnot exactly busting a nut to get back and at least make it difficult.

On the CBs its Sahko plus one, Agger has definitely not been good enough this year to cement it, been very average when not injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

donfers wrote: »
    there was no meltdown at half time, i just called it as I saw it and I stand by my comments, we were equally as vulnerable in the second half, anyone who can't admit that that defense is going to cost us long-term is deluding themselves

we shouldn't put so much pressure on our forward players every game

it was a poor performance, apart from suarez, sterling and sturridge, nobody played well - of course I'll take the result and am delighted with the three points but looking at the bigger picture of champions league qualificiation - the defense has to improve or we won't qualify, it's as simple as that in my view

You predicted 2-2 and loads of missed chances, I'd say a bit of a mini meltdown to conceding 2 decent goals.

We didn't miss many chances and won 5-3, you're a very hard man to please. That was a very important result, City and Chelsea dropped points there so that's an excellent away result, that's a top 4 team win.

We got the must win today in a very tough game, up there with City winning at Newcastle as it sets both teams up for the rest of the away games this season. Big psychological wins for both teams.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

From twitter

@Liddellpool: #LFC want to buy Yann M'Vila immediately with a permanent deal acc to @FabRomano21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gbear wrote: »
    That was down to Coutinho (I thinK) giving the ball away for Adam to run at the back four under no pressure.

No it was a loose pass from Henderson for Adam's goal. Skrtel probably should have closed him down a bit quicker but just backed off enough to let Adam line up a shot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

K-9 wrote: »
    You predicted 2-2 and loads of missed chances, I'd say a bit of a mini meltdown to conceding 2 decent goals.

We didn't miss many chances and won 5-3, you're a very hard man to please. That was a very important result, City and Chelsea dropped points there so that's an excellent away result, that's a top 4 team win.

We got the must win today in a very tough game, up there with City winning at Newcastle as it sets both teams up for the rest of the away games this season. Big psychological wins for both teams.

how is making a prediction a meltdown? that confuses me

I am happy we won, however the defensive side of our game concerns me greatly - that's what I take from it

if we just sweep it under the carpet and say "brilliant away win" then my fear is that the defensive issues won't be addressed and will affect us farther down the road

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

From twitter

@Liddellpool: #LFC want to buy Yann M'Vila immediately with a permanent deal acc to @FabRomano21

Who the hell is fabromano?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,420 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Absolutely vital win though today given all the top teams winning and next weekend some of our rivals have tough games so we could gain a few more points if we beat Villa at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

I thought today was wonderful. No longer do they look soft. Last season to lose a two nil lead, the heads would drop and they would have been beaten. Sterling looks like a real player as well. I had my doubts about him but he looks the real deal now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

3 points thank you very much .. aged a week watching that game ..fair play to rodgers,knows our best form of defence is just attack and isnt afraid to go for it.

hopefully studge stays fit for the rest of the season,i agree that coutinho should loose his place to sterling, going by last 6 performances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

From twitter

Obviously someone just heard Gerrard's interview.

If he does get his way we better be prepared to buy another 20 plus goal a season player to counteract it.:pac:

From twitter

Who are these people?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

One point on Sterling. He's missed quiet a few one on one's this season and it's obviously something he's aware he needs to improve.

Prior to winning the penalty, when he broke through, he had the pace to turn the opportunity into a one on one with the keeper. He seemed to deliberately drag it wide however, holding up the ball to allow others up to support him. Obviously at this point he won the penalty, but I wonder was it a confidence thing that he didn't want to end up one on one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

Who the hell is fabromano?[/QUOTE]

His/her granny has a daughter who's best friend's mother is a tea-lady at melwood?:D

• Site Banned Posts: 4,925 ✭✭✭Agueroooo

Im almost certain he broke the Sakho signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Stevie just said on Being Sports that holding mid will be he's new position a lot more this season. Seem they have been working on it in training!

Had a feeling that we'd see that after the game when Allen first came into the team.

Gerrard sat behind Allen and Henderson and our midfield looked very good until he got injured.

Not saying I agree with the call, just I've been expecting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Borini's Twitter Alias. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

3 hard earned points today. Great to get the win in tough conditions

From twitter

Hopefully there is truth in this, bloody crying out for a player like that.

SAS are something else and Sterling is really coming on, he's benefiting hugely from this run in the team, Coutinho has to be dropped out of the options we have, bring him on when we have a lead and are counter attacking.

32 goals between Suarez and Sturridge, I don't remember any other partnership with that much at this stage of the season, Sturridge is joint 3rd highest scorer which given games out with injuries is remarkable, important he scored today. 32 goals and when you take the ban and injuries, they haven't played half a season.

Some difference from us all hoping Carroll and Luis would click, a joy to watch us at the minute with the attacking threat, if Coutinho and Raheem could finish we'd be some team, probably scored as much as City.

I do fear RVP and Rooney but tbh we've nothing to worry about with SAS.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭MR NINE

I think there should be no question regarding who makes way for Sturridge. Sterling has been very good since Sturridge got injured, I think Coutinho would be more effective coming off the bench than Sterling would as well. Sterling seemed to struggle earlier in the season when he was coming on off the bench, ever since he got a place in the starting 11 he's shown huge signs of improvement and definitely deserves to keep his place. I still have high hopes for Coutinho but hes been a bit poor this season. A few games on the bench might be good for him to get a rest, and I think he could be very effective coming as a sub to influence a game.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭Courtesy Flush

We got away with it today thanks to our forwards and a bit of luck but we wont get far with this midfield imo.
    I actually thougt Coutinho played well today. Much better than some around him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

ardinn wrote: »
    Coutinho is like crouch was when he joined - I think he just needs to forget about scoring, his link up play is very good and he can spot a pass - Just forget about the goals and when the chance arrives, put it away, after that I fell they will be like the busses for him, it's just confidence.

Also, dont get the defence hate, the 1st two goals stoke scored were good, adams was unstoppable! apart from mig's trainwreck for the third I didnt think it was too bad! Shaky at times allright but not the worst ive seen.

Coutinho is nothing like Crouch.

donfers wrote: »
    how is making a prediction a meltdown? that confuses me

I am happy we won, however the defensive side of our game concerns me greatly - that's what I take from it

if we just sweep it under the carpet and say "brilliant away win" then my fear is that the defensive issues won't be addressed and will affect us farther down the road

Well we got the result you thought we couldn't get at half time. Personally I had my doubts too but knowing Sturridge would come on swung it for me. If I was proved wrong like that I'd be chuffed but each to their own, if you're just a glass half empty fella not much point going on with this.

HULK.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

No matter how are defence and midfield performances are so inconsistent, we're blessed to have two of the best attackers around in Suarez and Sturridge. They are sensational. We make CL football next year with those to two fit and firing. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Soft Falling Rain

Great result with great resilience shown. I'm starting to get frustrated with Mignolet though, he doesn't have the reflexes that you would expect from a top keeper and is generally very slow to react.

Same problem with Mig as Pepe. No competition to come in if he needs a break

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Great result with great resilience shown. I'm starting to get frustrated with Mignolet though, he doesn't have the reflexes that you would expect from a top keeper and is generally very slow to react.

Seriously!!!!!! I can understand giving out about him looking bad under crosses or his tendency to punch, but his reflexes are great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

The save from Gerrard was a brilliant reflex save.

• Advertisement

Oh by the way...

We're Safe !!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,007 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Agueroooo wrote: »
    HULK.gif

I have so much bro love for that man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only 8 goals behind City now which is unexpected.

mav79 wrote: »
    Seriously!!!!!! I can understand giving out about him looking bad under crosses or his tendency to punch, but his reflexes are great.
    He is a good shot stopper and can react to close range attempts very well. But I don't think he gets down quick enough at all to low shots from afar.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

He works in the Lido chipper on Pearse Street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

I think kelly needs to start at rb next game, johnson still getting games playing like this sends out wrong messages tbh, looks half arsed and non interested and id almost guarantee kelly would do better then him against villa at home.
    Hopefully sakho returns and we try stick to a settled back 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

HULK.gif

Looks like Moses has found his role too.

Bdy3tZaCYAAL4r9.jpg:large

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Great win. One of my favourite of the season, we didn't play particularly well, but we dug in deep and showed some real character to come out on top.

Delighted to see Sturridge back, what a great goal he scored and both of Suarez's were great for different reasons. We got a bit lucky with the penalty.

Interesting hearing Gerrard talk about playing deeper in the future. I'd imagine once Allen is back we will see him and Hendo in front of Gerrard and it should balance nicely.(If we don't buy a midfielder).

I'd need to see it again, but he didn't expect the ball through the legs for the 3rd, maybe he should anticipate that. Nothing he could do about the other 2. That's 3 soft enough goals he's let in recently so it is a worry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

HULK.gif

Fooking have so much man love for that man :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Looks like Moses has found his role too.

Bdy3tZaCYAAL4r9.jpg:large

That Suarez pic reminds of this guy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

There are issues with this team that will be discussed here to death and no doubt Rodgers is aware of it to so it's just a matter of time.

What's important for me today is how they were mentally strong today and got the result. LFC teams of old would definitely have folded today.

I think this victory will do them a lot of good in terms of confidence and mental attitude.

Big Ern, what a ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Have to laugh at how bipolar this place has become. At half time, apparently we were in meltdown, now we're all gravy again. There's no doubt that Stoke took their goals well, but the truth is we were a much more threatening team and really should have had 4-5 goals in the first half. Same goes for the second half, other than for some poor finishing, we would have had more goals again. We were clearly the better team and we got the result we deserved.

Also, this notion that the defence/midfield need to be completely chucked out is just nonsense. People don't seem to understand that it's the system that is causing us to leak goals, not the players. We play high risk, fast, counter attacking football where players are encouraged to get forward. Because everything is so fast and frenetic, of course our players are going to be more likely to make mistakes. People seem to forget that the last time that our defence was sorted was under Dalglish when we conceded only 47 goals in the full season he had. For all the good that did, we ended up only scoring 40 goals and finished the season way, way down the table.

We have to be realistic. We aren't like Chelsea or Man City and we can't afford to buy a £30M player for every position. That means we have to make do with some players and play to our strengths with the quality that we do have (i.e. the attack). Who cares about a few poxy clean sheets if attacking football is winning us games.

Next two games are at home, Villa and the derby.

Next home game after that is Arsenal game. Big games coming thick and fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

mike65 wrote: »
    Time to put Gerrard out to grass, we all know it. Some of us have known it for a couple of years.

Best liverpool midfielder today by a country mile he will be in a wheelchair and still contribute more than Lucas a class act today from start to finish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

murpho999 wrote: »
    There are issues with this team that will be discussed here to death and no doubt Rodgers is aware of it to so it's just a matter of time.

What's important for me today is how they were mentally strong today and got the result. LFC teams of old would definitely have folded today.

I think this victory will do them a lot of good in terms of confidence and mental attitude.

the attitude was what stood out for me , stoke is a graveyard for liverpool and many teams in the past would have folded at half time after loseing a two goal lead

delighted to have sturridge back and even more so to see him score great day all round

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

Best liverpool midfielder today by a country mile he will be in a wheelchair and still contribute more than Lucas a class act today from start to finish

His passing wasn't great today, but I think he suits the role well.

Was interesting seeing Lucas play in a more advanced position today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Next two games are at home, Villa and the derby.

Next home game after that is Arsenal game. Big games coming thick and fast.

From now until the end of the season every game is a big game.

• Advertisement

2nd half he was much better for sure and he was our best midfielder. Saying that our midfield was hit and miss today overall.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement